Side scoop abrasion?

Emil

Established Member
I've noticed abrasion where the back of the side scoops touch the body. It's like the scoops are rubbing into the clearcoat and leaving white marks. Has anyone else seen this? This makes me real nervous because I had an '89 taurus with lower body cladding that had the paint bubble and eventually rust through where the cladding met the door.
The lower picture more accurately represents what it looks like in real life.
sscoop1a.jpg

sscoop2a.jpg

Last edited:

torqued

Go Fast Turn Left
Established Member
The side scoops are attached with plastic pins similar to the ones that hold the hood liner in place. The problem with this is the scoop will move from wind buffeting because it is just pressed in by hand. As a mater of fact Nightenforcer had one fly of his 03 at speed

Emil

Established Member
This is something we really have to be careful of I think because we don't want bubbling paint and rust through there. The double sided tape sounds like the right thing to do so there is no actual contact.
To get them off do you just pull?
Thanks Guys.

a94cobra

Established Member
Be careful on just pulling them off. You could break the back of the scoop where the clips hold it on. You have six clips holding it on. Three at the front and three at the back. The clips are slid into the plastic on the back of the scoop. The spot where the clip goes at the back of the scoop are only connected on one side. This is kinda hard to explain without a photo. They will break very easy. And you will either glue them back somehow or buy a new scoop.

If I can find my old scoop I will post a pic tomorrow of what I am talking about. Unless someone else has a scoop they can post a rear picture of.

Just a heads up.

Sonic03svt

Established Member
Umm...is grabbing and pulling them off the only way to get them off.

I'm not too sure that I want to grab a piece of my car and yank it off.

I don't see any abrasion yet, but I would like to do the double sided tape thing, if it would help.

a94cobra

Established Member
You could release the tabs from the inside, but that requires pulling the interior panel.

Litespeed

CYAH
Established Member
SideScoop002.jpg

I wouldn't recommend just ripping them off either. The scoop on the left is the drivers side that I grabbed and ripped off. As you can see, all the rear mounts that the clips slide into are no longer attached on their horizontal sides. With the passenger side, I took a thick cloth and a small pry bar and pried the top / forward most corner off first and the rest slid off fairly easily.

I replaced my scoops with Bullitt ones so I didn't care as much.

Last edited:

Emil

Established Member
Boy,
This makes me real nervous, I think I'll pull the inside panel if they don't look like the're gonna come off easily.
Thanks alot !!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Speaking of side scoops, anyone notice how the front portion gets sandblasted from highway driving? Funny that I never had any problem with the bumper or front end. Just the front portion of the side scoops.

a94cobra

Established Member
I am glad someone posted a pic. That explains very well why not to just yank hard.

I fixed one of mine with some e6000 glue. Got it at Wally World in the craft section. Stuff works pretty good. I used it to reinforce the other two while I was there.

Sonic03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Speaking of side scoops, anyone notice how the front portion gets sandblasted from highway driving? Funny that I never had any problem with the bumper or front end. Just the front portion of the side scoops.

I noticed the same thing!:mj:

I also have it right where the door shuts. I had Ford realign the door, but I think that it's still going to get blasted.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread