Sickest you’ve been?

Adower

Established Member
Been laid up in bed for about six days straight with what I thought was just the flu. Finally was able to get out of bed and to the doctor. Found out I have the flu, strep throat, and walking pneumonia. FML!!

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
How about a blood sugar reading of 1250 and so close to death that I was on my way out in about 2 hours if it wasn't for my parents coming home early from vacation and sending me to the ER. I was in the ICU for 5 days and another 6 days in step down before I was released. the first 3 days I was in a coma (wasn't when I was first brought in, but I was so out of my head that I still have no recollection of what I was doing that day).

So now I'm a brittle type 1 diabetic and so have had blood sugars from the 1250 clear on down to 15 and everythig in between since 1998.

Recon

Established Member
8 years of severe stomach problems. Almost died 4 times during it. At 15 years old I was 6ft tall and 108lbs. Still dealing with side effects 4 years later.

Pick your poison.

robraySVT

Established Member
I had a VERY severe bacterial infection that ravaged my body for two weeks about ten years ago. I was in ICU being pumped full of antibiotics. Let's just say I felt like death would have been the better fate at the time. My fever was recorded at 104 I believe.

coposrv

Established Member
Few years ago I got the flu and it kicked my ass. I was out for 4/5 days. Started feeling a little better and went to work for a week with a terrible cough I thought was just lingering.

Ended up in an ambulance to the ER. I developed pneumonia. All in all I was down for 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GodStang

Established Member
When I was younger I had Mono for two months and doctors kept misdiagnosing it. Kept getting sicker. First day of school I threw up and passed out before going to the doctor for about the 10th time. Finally they did a mono test and realized how bad I had gotten. I did not go back to school for 3 or 4 months and then only part time. I think some classes I missed 100 days that year.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
How about a blood sugar reading of 1250 and so close to death that I was on my way out in about 2 hours if it wasn't for my parents coming home early from vacation and sending me to the ER.

Impressive.

What was the underlying issue for such mg/dl level? I assume you weren't a diabetic prior so was it sepsis, too much candy, trauma, etc..,?

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
A couple of months ago my wife woke me up in the middle of the night talking in her sleep which she never does. Felt like her skin was on fire. Took her temp it was reading 105.6. Fed her tylenol and motrin and laid a cold wash cloth on her head. Next step should have been putting her in a cool bath to drop it down. She went to the E.R were her mom worked, ended up having pneumonia in both lungs which had been misdiagnosed for some time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, @bosscj, that was a close one. 105.6!! That is whopping high. I remember once when my son (around 2 years old) had a very high temperature. Around 105. The only thing we knew to do what to take a radical approach to bring it down, so we filled the bath tub with cold water and some ice. We put him him and he was not happy about it. But it brought down his temperature and within a day was back to normal.

These are all scary experiences. I read through the ones above and although I've had my occasional sickness related issues, none of them come close to what you all have experienced.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Impressive.

What was the underlying issue for such mg/dl level? I assume you weren't a diabetic prior so was it sepsis, too much candy, trauma, etc..,?

DKA is no friggin joke man...I've treated a handful with glucose over 1200 and prolly half of them didnt have a good outcome.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
DKA is no friggin joke man...I've treated a handful with glucose over 1200 and prolly half of them didnt have a good outcome.

My grandmother just died of something similar so quit the lecture unless you missed the question I asked of how he got it.

Surviving with such a high level is impressive.

JimCSHO

Established Member
Just recently I had trouble sleeping, heartburn for over 12 hours, bloated - said to my wife, 'it's like everything I ate for the last 2 days is sitting in my stomach. Finally got in to see the doctor and they sent me over to ER (to rule out a heart attack due to the never ending heartburn - ER confirmed no heart attack).
Turned out I had a bowel obstruction -- twist in the small intestine. Felt better once they put the NG tube in and started to vacuum out my stomach. I was right, everything from the last 2 days almost was in my stomach still. Couldn't eat anything for 2 days, then water and ice chips. The twist finally undid itself and I was out of the hospital after 4 days.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I’ve had pneumonia 3 times in my life, last time was 1994. Each time it knocks me out for about 4-5 weeks.

I’ve had the flu once, back in 1999, that lasted about 10 days.

I usually get once per year a sinus infection - I have very bad environmental allergies.

I’ve had kidney stones twice, that’s not pleasant to say the least. At least those only lasted about 24 hours till they passed.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Impressive.

White blood cells turned against the pancreas and killed it off, and I thought I just had a real bad case of either food poisoning or flu and so why I was throwing up.

I got a very wicked auto immune system where my parents exposed me to chicken pox about 7 or maybe it was 8 times when I was before turning 10 (not all of that but all the years prior 6-10) and I didn't get it. So my body is slowly killing itself off little by little as the years go by just turned 45 last July but I'm going to live what ever life I do have with no complaints.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
White blood cells turned against the pancreas and killed it off, and I thought I just had a real bad case of either food poisoning or flu and so why I was throwing up.

I got a very wicked auto immune system where my parents exposed me to chicken pox about 7 or maybe it was 8 times when I was before turning 10 (not all of that but all the years prior 6-10) and I didn't get it. So my body is slowly killing itself off little by little as the years go by just turned 45 last July but I'm going to live what ever life I do have with no complaints.

That's nuts.

My older sister's body turned against her kidney(s) when she was 14/15. Almost needed a transplant but they stopped the damage in time before it was permanent. Had a bunch of strep throat issues prior to that happening.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Steer clear of TICKS! They are the Devil in disquise!

U dont know sick till u get Lyme Disease...... was out of work for (11) months. Had PICC line in my arm for (7) months. Im usually 220 lbs. I was down to 138 lbs. Wasting away like an AIDS patient!

Not only did I have Lyme but I also had another co-infection called Babesia which is simply Malaria. Its treated with the exact same medication u treat Malaria with. It attacks ur red blood cells. Words cannot describe how awful it was.....

_Snake_

Established Member
I had 12” of my intestine removed in 2017 and essentially spent 4 months on bed rest. The anesthesiologist is a friend and told us it was the worst he’s seen in his career. The antibiotics wrecked my connective tissue and I injure myself fairly regularly doing routine stuff nowadays.

But I’m alive and not wearing a bag.

Edited to add that I asked my wife about the details because I knew I’d get them wrong. They had to take my appendix out with the intestine because they were fused together and starting to transfer material. My intestine had also fused to my bladder and my abdominal wall. Which definitely explains the pain I had leading up to the surgery. The surgeon is also a friend and decided to take out my gall bladder while he was in there.
I have a pic from the surgery scope if anyone is interested. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread