Sick and Tired!

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
OK! I have come to the conclusion that I am going to change direction in my life. I am beginning a search for a job that I can begin doing and maybe enjoy. I am completely worn out with the automotive industry and my love for vehicles is slowly waining due to this. An automotive dealership is probably one of the most bile and depressing places to work, especially right now in this industry. I want an interesting job that I can continue to learn as it continues to change and shape. Nothing changes in a dealership, new cars same work ethics and attitude.

I have excellent communication skills and am also very talented with computers, mechanics, sales, and customer service. I have managed a crew of a half dozen employees. I have performed the duties of accounting and human resources as a small business manager/operator.

I know there is something better out there....

At the present situation I can't really go back to school. I am the bread winner, my wife is a college student. We are about to close on a house in a month (can't move jobs until). I know school will help me but it will have to wait.

I was looking into some local jobs on the job listing sites..

Marketing:
I came across some jobs that I was interested and spoke the with HR lady for
one in a direct marketing business. This company does direct marketing for Staples in the Baton rouge area and surrounding territory
www.argosacquisition.com The starting salary is weak, but They claim that most entry level guys ($30,000-$35,000) move to a manager position in about 8-12 months ($75,000-$100,000). Assuming that I catch on and perform a good job?? What do you think? I am just planning on looking into it.

Now that is just one of the jobs I was looking into I did find another that I was unable to speak with the HR lady Flash Intro Page that has a higher starting salary listed. But I am not sure what their main focus is.

I really don't have any marketing experience and not sure why I took an interest in those two companies? Maybe some of you guys can chime in on what your duties entail and what I should look for?? Or even a good entry level job that I could begin with.

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
You sound motivated. I would suggest putting all this effort and info into a jobsearch website. I am going to warn you though. It's tough in just about every field. Good luck.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Marketing is a very intense and ever changing line of work along the lines of what you are looking for to rid your life of the same old song and dance you're currently experiencing at the stealership. Just be prepared to work long hours and weekends for promotional gigs. My cousin is currently employed with Academy as a marketing representative and she is always busy on the weekends doing store promotions across the state. There are a number of careers out there that change as you complete certain projects when they come to a close and you get to move on to the next. Construction management might be something you should look into as a college degree isn't required for the majority of subcontractors out there. I'm very satisfied with being an estimator and project manager for a local subcontractor simply due to the projects continually turning over and never being on the same one for years on end. Do whatever makes you happy, but keep in mind the grass isn't always greener on the other side and people tend to get content and bored with almost any job over time. Good luck with your search!!!

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
You sound motivated. I would suggest putting all this effort and info into a jobsearch website. I am going to warn you though. It's tough in just about every field. Good luck.

Do not waste your time on job search websites if you're looking to get your foot in the door and gain an entry level position. I'm not saying they are worthless, but do not focus your attention there and expect quick results. The websites are saturated with hundreds of thousands of resumes and without experience in the particular field your are looking to enter you'll be just another faceless resume and be competing with all the fresh out of college folks that have a slight advantage of age and a fresh education. Get in front of an actual person and sell them on the advantage of hiring you and what a benefit it will be to their company. It seems you have the gift of gab and with that and management under your belt should have no problem gaining employment and working your way up in another industry.

JasonSnake

Established Member
keep your job but look for ways to start a small biz on the side. When it grows, you'll know when it's time to leave the stealership.

blownfox

Established Member
I agree with SNIPERDOG and 03cobra#694 if you have a job keep it. It is not a good time to be switching jobs right now.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
The market in Louisiana has barely suffered. The gulf coast states continue to buzz with employment opportunities when compared to any other regions.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
The market in Louisiana has barely suffered. The gulf coast states continue to buzz with employment opportunities when compared to any other regions.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Also, the post above by greyrob is my opinion that there's no better time to look for a job like when you already have one. It's easier to transition and you don't have to settle for the first one that comes along just to have income.

"Jobs are like monkey bars. You don't let go of the one you got until you have your hands on the next one." :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread