shut down procedure with fans on the HE

michael kellam

Established Member
good morning Guys,

does anyone do any thing specific for shutting down there vehicle with the fans and pumps on the heat exchanger?

i will be buying one and installing one soon and im wondering if i should add in something to keep the pump and fans running for a bit after shutdown. i was thinking like a "turbo timer". would there be any real value to this?

Mike

barspen

Established Member
Interesting idea, but I don't think it's necessary or that helpful. The goal is to keep the IAT2 temps low enough to stop the computer from throwing timing while the engine is running.

You can always manually jumper the pump fuse (usually used to test the pump and HE after install). Just don't run it too long and drain the battery.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
No real value, intercoolers are there to cool the air charge not the blower itself.
Turbo timers are because the turbo itself is cooled by the oil circulation through the bearing housing. Letting it idle a bit takes a lot of heat out of a turbo so the oil doesn't sit inside and cook.

Vastly different.

michael kellam

Established Member
No real value, intercoolers are there to cool the air charge not the blower itself.
Turbo timers are because the turbo itself is cooled by the oil circulation through the bearing housing. Letting it idle a bit takes a lot of heat out of a turbo so the oil doesn't sit inside and cook.

Vastly different.

the turbo timer was the best way i could explain the application at the time. thank you for the responses.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Just jump the fuse after you turn the car off for a couple minutes. Need to watch the battery though

NELCO

Established Member
I just bought a 12 volt relay so I can run my intercooler pump without the engine running. I wired in my two spal fans on its own switch so I can turn them off or on when needed.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
good morning Guys,

does anyone do any thing specific for shutting down there vehicle with the fans and pumps on the heat exchanger?

i will be buying one and installing one soon and im wondering if i should add in something to keep the pump and fans running for a bit after shutdown. i was thinking like a "turbo timer". would there be any real value to this?

Mike

I noticed my father's 2012 CTS-V does this, shut it off and the fan will run for 30secs so the engine does not "heat-soak", makes a lot of since to me due to the incredible power and the fact it's a 6.2l S\C Motor, esp coming from the heat-soaking HEMI

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I noticed my father's 2012 CTS-V does this, shut it off and the fan will run for 30secs so the engine does not "heat-soak", makes a lot of since to me due to the incredible power and the fact it's a 6.2l S\C Motor, esp coming from the heat-soaking HEMI

Well, if the water isn't circulating it isn't doing shit.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Heat soak, no.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
interesting the responses. So no value to run the system if there is no demand or a race.

Mike, you have seen my setup. You want the intercooler cool down before demanding max performance from your engine. If your heat exchanger fans and pump are constantly "on" with your engine running, programmed in your tune, the coolant in that system stays cool to the touch... at least mine does. Leaving the pump and fans on once you shut the engine off won't have any benefit.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I really hope your coolant and oil isn't boiling. That would not be good.

What he is saying is that all the fans would do is cool the coolant that's in the heat exchanger which is a tiny % of the entire coolant capacity. Which with the car being turned off, the pump will be turned off. No coolant flow = no benefit

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Oil was fine in the SRT problem is the coolant temp would hit 260f in 90f weather if I shut it off right after the HS fans came on (225f) the engine would just soak the heat up after shut-down + second the engine hit past 220f, performance loss was incredible. Saw some seriously scary temps on the SRT, even with the 180-T-Stat and a fan re-tune, my fans were almost always on, the GT-500 seems to have far more efficient cooling so far, hardly ever hear the HS fans, which is weird as the SRT owners claimed the GT-500 after a lap or a short amount of fun would become sluggish and heat-soaked, then again I can't see a digital read-out like I could on the Challenger to see the coolant\engine temp really test the difference. I feel like the stock gauges are kinda "dummy" gauges

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member
Oil was fine in the SRT problem is the coolant temp would hit 260f in 90f weather if I shut it off right after the HS fans came on (225f) the engine would just soak the heat up after shut-down + second the engine hit past 220f, performance loss was incredible. Saw some seriously scary temps on the SRT, even with the 180-T-Stat and a fan re-tune, my fans were almost always on, the GT-500 seems to have far more efficient cooling so far, hardly ever hear the HS fans, which is weird as the SRT owners claimed the GT-500 after a lap or a short amount of fun would become sluggish and heat-soaked, then again I can't see a digital read-out like I could on the Challenger to see the coolant\engine temp really test the difference. I feel like the stock gauges are kinda "dummy" gauges

Hell I own a srt and I am tired of hearing about them from you. No comparison.

michael kellam

Established Member
Mike, you have seen my setup. You want the intercooler cool down before demanding max performance from your engine. If your heat exchanger fans and pump are constantly "on" with your engine running, programmed in your tune, the coolant in that system stays cool to the touch... at least mine does. Leaving the pump and fans on once you shut the engine off won't have any benefit.

when i saw your setup where the fan relays were i didn't notice them connected to any circuit. do you have the fans on a switch and the pump is controlled by a tune?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
when i saw your setup where the fan relays were i didn't notice them connected to any circuit. do you have the fans on a switch and the pump is controlled by a tune?

The fan relay trigger wires (orange) are connected directly to the 12VDC power wire (white) on the pump. My pump is commanded "on" in my tune, so when the pump runs, the fans run. I also spliced a 12VDC manual override switch into the power wire on the pump, which energizes the pump and triggers the fans with the ignition off. I can help you wire it however you want the system to work.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I would have to say unless you are full out racing, there is no benefit. The only benefit I would see, is that while you are waiting to stage, you flip the pumps and fans on to cool down faster......then when you pull up to stage you would probably be a bit cooler. But in truth Ice can do the same thing..

I have my fans on the relay with the pump. I shut down and everything shut down. As other have said, it kind of useless unless the pump and fluid is circulating.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member

Do you have an aftermarket dual fan h/e?

Users who are viewing this thread