Shredded the blower belt today

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Well, as the topic says, i shredded the blower belt today during a highway pull. I was in 4th gear at about 5 grand and all i heard was a slight snap, and then no boost response. Pulled the car over and found just a tiny strand left of my original belt. I was running a 2.8" non-slip pulley with a 73-3/4 size belt. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Oh, and on another note, the ford roadside assistance thing is great! Within 20 minutes there was a flatbed towing me home and no charge to me.

Juiced-03

Established Member
yep I have shredded 3 belts. Its a normal thing for me, but it never fails to scare the shit out of me lol. Hearing that snap, then your gauge lights turn on, then you have no power lol! You are right though, roadside is great, they never ask any questions, and are usually very quick to respond. Plus there is no limit to how many times you can be towed. But when my belt breaks, I drive it home anyway :D

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
So you were do'n around 100+mph when she went?
When you looked at your belt recently did you see any
signs of wear? Also I'm sure the board would like to
know if it was a Gator or Gates.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
What exactly does this do to your hood when it goes? what necessarily is causing the frequent belt shredding? Is it due to excess strain on the belt? Would be interested to know, definately would carry a spare belt if this is a typical problem.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
With no pulley cover, this is what happens.
I have lost a few belts.

attachment.php3

I finally dumped the hood blanket and it is much better looking now! :)
attachment.php3

Dana

cbrtrx

Established Member
notdisturbed, what brand pulley do you use. My belt is now shredding sice i installed a sfphq non slip pulley, and i used a brand new gates belt.Looking at the belt on the pulley it looks like the belt doesnt sit perfectly flat in the groves like other pulleys ive seen, did u get alot of dust?

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
I was running a gates belt. Sure, ive been getting belt dust, but after reading all the non-slip pulley stories on here i figured it was pretty much the norm. Besides the dust there were no signs of abnormal wear. I put the belt and pulley on less than 500 miles ago.

Dana-How much was it to paint the underside of the hood? My blanket looks just like that now.

cbrtrx-Im using the motoblue non-slip, bought it from rpmoutlet. As far as i can tell the belt sat fine in the grooves.

Im really interested to know why this is happening, and what can be done to stop it. I refuse to believe this is going to become the "norm" for me and im going to need to carry belts and tools. Will a idler pulley correct this?

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Originally posted by cbrtrx
notdisturbed, what brand pulley do you use. My belt is now shredding sice i installed a sfphq non slip pulley, and i used a brand new gates belt.Looking at the belt on the pulley it looks like the belt doesnt sit perfectly flat in the groves like other pulleys ive seen, did u get alot of dust?

His sig says "MotoBlue" pulley-I have a SFPHQ non slip
ultra grip with a Gator 74 and see no problems. Are you
sure you have installed & aligned your pulley correctly?
According to Terry at SFPHQ all belt shreading is due to
improper pulley installation.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
I carry a spare and tools in the trunk...... Were you getting any signs of wear? Dust, fraying?
I always carry a spare, just in case.

I know of someone why recently "forced" a 74" belt on which should have used a 74.5". It was so tight that a couple of days later it went kaput. Another way to quickly shred your Gatorback belt is to install your anti-slip pulley backwards. LOL!

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Originally posted by 04-MystiChrome
His sig says "MotoBlue" pulley-I have a SFPHQ non slip
ultra grip with a Gator 74 and see no problems. Are you
sure you have installed & aligned your pulley correctly?
According to Terry at SFPHQ all belt shreading is due to
improper pulley installation.

Yep, it was installed correctly, and the belt was as well in line as it could have possibly been.

The idea of carrying a belt and tools with me just doesnt make sense. Its like applying a band-aid over a gaping wound. Why isnt there a more permanant solution to this problem?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Apparently Ford had enough redfire paint to do the entire car. The hood came that way from the factory.
They did miss a few spots on the outside though.

Dana

cbrtrx

Established Member
04-mystichrome, pulley is in perfect alignment and ive never had any problems with gates belts in the past, i had a 2.93 lightning pulley with gates belt for many miles after 1000 miles with nonslip pulley and new belt its shredding, terry recommened his gatorback belt but i dont beleive that is the problem, this pulley is also making the belt dust much more than my other pulley

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
you would be suprised how far you can drive with no blower belt on the car and just battery power. I drove mine over 20 miles to get it to the dealer when my lower idler pulley exploded and took out the belt.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
With no pulley cover, this is what happens.
I have lost a few belts.

attachment.php3

I finally dumped the hood blanket and it is much better looking now! :)
attachment.php3

Dana

have you checked the other side of you hood for cracks, mine has a small hairline cracks in the paint from where ford put too many layers of cleacoat on the hood, warranty item of course.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by notdisturbed
Sooooo.......replacing my non-slip pulley with another non-slip pulley is going to cure the problem? Or......is it the extra idler youre refering to? I dont think i follow on this one.

"Home of the BEST Performing BEST Looking mods for your SVT Cobra and Lightning... bar none!" :shrug:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Other than the thin spots in a few areas (probably where the paint for the other side came from), no issues at all.
I worry more about having to drop the hood to close it than anything. I keep waiting for it to just shatter some day.
I actually discussed with the dealership owner repainting the several areas on the outside that the factory messed up on and we both came to the conclusion that it was better left alone.
And it added character to the car. :p
They were more than willing to do it though.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread