Shredded my first belt over the weekend.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I was having too much fun with my car on fri/sat night. On the last run of the night for me, well after the mishap it was. Running from a dig I miss the shift going into 3rd at 7krpm's, Since at that point I had no chance to catch up, I gave it some rev's put it in 4th and got back to the spot.

after congratulating the winner I went to open my hood and before I do I see a black cord hanging down from the FB. I say theres my belt almost kidding like. So I open my hood and see my belt seems smaller, cause it is. it was down to 6 ribs. 1 of the ribs was hanging down from the FB and the other rib was wrapped around the alt pulley.

I think the k080780rpm belt was to loose and when I missed the shift the tensioner bucked. Didn't throw the belt completely off but did put in on the caged crank pulley. Which I think is sharp enough 2 cut 2 ribs off.

I picked up the cheaper gates belt in 776 and put it on. I had to clean all the pulleys(belt rubber) then checked all the bearings on the pulleys/tensioner/alt pulley. Everything seems good, took it out yesterday. Just another 100$ lesson.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Yeah my roommate has a prime account. Also have a commercial contract with the local chains. I paid 97$OTD for the rpm belt and 30$OTD for the green stripe. Was looking at the HD green belt for 58$OTD.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I shredded a belt one time when my idler blew up and I thought I cleaned it out well also. I was pulling out pieces of shredded belt 5 years later.

What to look for on a pulley about to crap out? I have a little play on all my pulleys but when removed the bearings were all spinning nice. I skateboarded for 20+ years so I know a bad bearing by feel.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
What to look for on a pulley about to crap out? I have a little play on all my pulleys but when removed the bearings were all spinning nice. I skateboarded for 20+ years so I know a bad bearing by feel.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the bearing that fails so much as the stamped steel idler letting go. Mine literally peeled apart. I highly recommend upgrading to a set of metco idlers, real quality stuff. They’re functional and look good.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I don’t think it’s necessarily the bearing that fails so much as the stamped steel idler letting go. Mine literally peeled apart. I highly recommend upgrading to a set of metco idlers, real quality stuff. They’re functional and look good.

Yeah I guess I should have said not much in my engine bay that's stock. I don't know the brand but I have them. sorry so dirty
DSC05458.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread