show me your braces

jspalmer01

Established Member
[/QUOTE]to tell u the truth i dont care who Lee is. i started this thread to see if anybody done anything different from the norm of braces. so i think he walked into my space first.[/QUOTE]

Don't be an a** about this with reputable people on this board. Why don't you just spend $100. and put a good set of pre-engineered braces on the car and be done. Why risk putting something on the car out of your garage sale steel because it is free and "seems" strong because you sat on it.

sd3021

Established Member
You're going to go real far here, for sure.

i dont have to go real far. ive been surfing this web site alot longer than my join date says. i dont post 500+ times because ive been involved w/ mustangs for 20 years < i dont know everything, but if i cant get it here there are other places for info >

racerbox77

Established Member
I'm still in some disbelief that someone would put old bed frames onto a 93 cobra. I understand they may not flex w/ 175lbs but the stresses of a car exhibit much more force than that. Sounds like you just bolted dead weight onto the bottom of a limited production car.

Well the Smilies arent workin for me but.... this one is laughing histerically!!

stangbear427

Established Member
Twenty years of involvement with Mustangs has led you to bolt a bed frame to a collectible car. I don't think any more needs to be said.

sd3021

Established Member
Twenty years of involvement with Mustangs has led you to bolt a bed frame to a collectible car. I don't think any more needs to be said.

lets forget it a bed frame for a second & what do you have a strong piece of angle iron. FORD put a bar along the pinchweld for the convertibles, they had to put it there for a reason, right? < to limit body roll> & the hatchbacks are not that much stiffer. if ford put it there its good for me.

sd3021

Established Member
to tell u the truth i dont care who Lee is. i started this thread to see if anybody done anything different from the norm of braces. so i think he walked into my space first.[/QUOTE]

Don't be an a** about this with reputable people on this board. Why don't you just spend $100. and put a good set of pre-engineered braces on the car and be done. Why risk putting something on the car out of your garage sale steel because it is free and "seems" strong because you sat on it.[/QUOTE]

i would spend $100 if i knew if sombody made braces that install along the pinchweld but nobody does. & if somebody did it would probably be a length of steel. im using "angle iron"<can be bought at a rail shop or hardware store> thats mounted to the pinchweld & to the bottom of the floor pan, cant get better than that. take a look a your bedframe & tell me thats not strong steel<unless its thin metal>.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Doesn't Kenne Bell still produce the Extreme Matrix Brace system w/jacking rails that mount along the pinch weld? That may be the direction you are wanting to go in. To most of us here, we would probably do the 'bed rail/angle iron' thing on a fox lx or GT--but even those of us with 'restomod' Cobras still go out and try not to reinvent the wheel. I respect your desire to build something on your own--something that most folks don't do; however most of us do DO most of our own bolt ons AND major mods. Take our comments with a grain of salt.

Batman
ps. yes I did say 'do DO'

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
im using "angle iron"<can be bought at a rail shop or hardware store> thats mounted to the pinchweld & to the bottom of the floor pan, cant get better than that. take a look a your bedframe & tell me thats not strong steel<unless its thin metal>.

And someone thought this was a good idea too:

Turbo.jpg

stangbear427

Established Member
My thoughts exactly. Not to be a Honda fanboy, but CRX's are getting pretty rare too. That guy needs his ass kicked.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
And someone thought this was a good idea too:

Turbo.jpg

:lol:

This thread is cracking me up.

If the original poster would have went to the metal yard and picked up some strong materials and made a homemade jacking rail it would have been cool to see how he done it. (regardless if it was a cobra/LX/GT)

But using a old bed frame rail = :nono:

This why you research before you do

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
lets forget it a bed frame for a second & what do you have a strong piece of angle iron. FORD put a bar along the pinchweld for the convertibles, they had to put it there for a reason, right? < to limit body roll> & the hatchbacks are not that much stiffer. if ford put it there its good for me.

The bar you are referring to is not to limit body roll. It was Ford's worthless attempt to stiffen the body on the verts. It does very little on improving the body stiffness though.

Yes there is a big difference between the vert and a hatchback in regards to stiffness.

The only items that are going to affect body roll are springs, swaybars, struts/shocks, etc

stangbear427

Established Member
Indeed. Not to mention, the purpose of subframe connectors is to keep the body from twisting, and keep the front and rear subframes from moving independently. An angle iron has virtually zero torsional strength, and will do nothing to stiffen the unibody. Now, if all you were trying to do was reinforce the pinchweld so the crappy stock jack doesn't bend the shit out of it, I guess it would help... but from a performance standpoint what you've done is worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread