Should New Orleans have been rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina?

Should the City of New Orleans be Rebuilt?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
got to thinking the other day after hearing some crap on the radio about how much money our government is sinking into rebuilding the city of New Orleans. something like several $100 billion will be spent to rebuild the city.

and this is our hard earned tax money at work. a city that is -20 ft under sea level.

my question is why? I know it's the politically correct thing to do, but common sense should surely intervene. Are we going to rebuild this city every time a major hurricane levels it? what kind of madness is this?

I'm sure the people of NO love their city, it's their homes, but financially this is not an intelligent decision.

I have nothing against New Orleans, or the people down there, I just don't think this city should be rebuilt.

DriveNASCAR

AKA ColdFusion
Established Member
I think it's fine if *individuals* choose to rebuild with their own money, but no taxpayer money should be used. It's an idiotic location for a city and a lot of the people who live there are scumbags, anyway. **** 'em.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
I am 100 miles north of houston and have quite a few people who fled N.O. , And when I ask when are you going back? they all do the same thing , Look at me funny and say "Weys aint going back! itza lot betta hur"

GT_Jim

Established Member
I don't want my tax money going to rebuild that city and its to bad thats the case however if somebody wants to spend their own money then I could care less.

canibus

Established Member
all i keep hearing is, why are they spending our tax money on this and that. THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO, THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR.

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
The government just takes my money and spends it however the hell they want to with or without my permission so it doesn't matter.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I do not even think of Katrina when I drive thru the city, I guess because I live down the Interstate from everything. Believe it or not, a lot of things are back to its old self now going on 3 years since the disaster. Mardi Gras is still kickin' on Bourbon anyhow. :beer:

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Seriously? We shouldn't rebuild one of our own major metro areas? C'mon man. If your city gets leveled, regardless of why, you would be pissed if Uncle Sam said, Aw **** it, its too expensive to re-build. Should they have left central OK torn to shreds in 2000 after the major tornados ripped through? I mean, twisters are pretty common in that area and it'll prob just get hit again. :nonono:

Rochard

Established Member
Screw being politically correct and it's about time someone else saw it my way.

I'm sure it's a wonderful city, and I'm told it's very beautiful. But building in a flood zone isn't smart to begin with, and building a city twenty feet below sea level right next to the ocean is only inviting disaster.

Meanwhile, everyone is bitching that we haven't done enough to rebuild there yet we are pumping how much of our tax dollars into this?

Let's get serious already. We should tear the city and rebuild it a bit higher up.

canibus

Established Member
they definetly could have built it better, but there should be no question as to wether the government should aid in building it.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
he's a thread whore

then this would be an appropriate pic, no?

attention_whore.jpg

Nix112

Eastbound and Down
Established Member
The question of should it be rebuild or not is not the important one. We should be asking are they building the defenses against another such disaster better than before? I have no doubt we have the technology to prevent something of equal of lesser magnitude from happening again, but putting up the same shit levees and walls is insane, even if it takes another 80 years before the point is proven. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. If they are learning from the mistakes of the past and taking major steps to prevent them again, then yea, build away.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
our tax money isnt being wasted since it would be used for something else if we didnt rebuild the city. either way, i could care less. i'll care when it happens to me, but thats about it.

Users who are viewing this thread