should I wax vinyl stripes???

IA Shelby

Established Member
Need your help. New to performance cars (especially with vinyl racing stripes). I have seen many conflicting posts on waxing stripes. I have a sterling grey shelby with black stripes. Some say to wax the stripes same as the car, others say avoid touching the stripes especially black stripes.

What do you think?

Also, I have been using the detailing wax since I purchased it new earlier this year. How often should I be giving this thing a real wax job?

Should I have a professional detailer "clay bar" my vehicle? I have one that said he will let me watch so I can learn how to apply correctly myself. Do you recommend clay bars on dark grey cars?

Thanks

xtremeskime21

Established Member
you can clay bar it yourself. it is super easy. i'm sure if you search it you will find plenty of info on how to do it. as far as vinyl stripes, i would avoid getting it near the edge just because it will be a pain to get it off, but i don't see why it would be a problem either way.

POPPAJ

Established Member
Dude, go to one of the detailing websites such as Autogeek or Autopia, read the tutorials and ask questions of the members. Detailing is a world of it's own!

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Need your help. New to performance cars (especially with vinyl racing stripes). I have seen many conflicting posts on waxing stripes. I have a sterling grey shelby with black stripes. Some say to wax the stripes same as the car, others say avoid touching the stripes especially black stripes.

What do you think?

Also, I have been using the detailing wax since I purchased it new earlier this year. How often should I be giving this thing a real wax job?

Should I have a professional detailer "clay bar" my vehicle? I have one that said he will let me watch so I can learn how to apply correctly myself. Do you recommend clay bars on dark grey cars?

Thanks

Stripes...avoid like the plaque. If they are cleared stripes, then yes, they can be polished and waxed. Now if they are just regular matte stripes, then waxing them will only cause discoloring in them.

Also as someone already said, when waxing your whole vehicle try to stay a half inch of so from the stripes, that way you do not run the risk of getting some caught in the edge and then have to remove it.

Also, pending the wax you use and how your vehicle is stored/driven, you would have to rewax it anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.

Clay...you can find plenty of information on this site or on AG or AT. But this same question was asked in a few clay bar threads in the first two pages on here that I have answered. YOu will find all you need their.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Thnaks for the quick response. Very helpful.

Car is driven 1-2 week depending on the weather. Stripes do not have any type of clear on them. I will avoid waxing them.

I will read up on the clay bar technique. One other person recommended a orbital waxing and polishing kit from Girots ($290).

Also plan to purchase hawk ceramic brake pads to minimize brake dust since I just got a set of powdercoated GT500 wheels in textured black.

One of these days I will take the time to figure out how to post pictures and share the final product.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Stripes...avoid like the plaque. If they are cleared stripes, then yes, they can be polished and waxed. Now if they are just regular matte stripes, then waxing them will only cause discoloring in them.

Good call, I guess I kind of assumed they were cleared.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

What do you think? Personally, I'd stay away from applying most waxes to vinyl striping. Most waxes and sealants will leave a white residue or stain on the stripes. The best thing to use is something like 303 Aerospace protectant. 303 Aerospace is water based and actually has an SPF protectant in it. It's best on vinyl, plastics, rubber and even leather. It's not going to make your stripes look any better than they already do, but keep them from fading from direct sunlight. It comes in spray bottles so you can spray on the stripes directly, or apply to a clean microfiber towel and wipe it on. Reapply every few weeks for optimal protection. :thumbsup:

Also, I have been using the detailing wax since I purchased it new earlier this year. How often should I be giving this thing a real wax job? That all depends on the wax you're using. Most waxes that are carnauba based will last you about 4-6 weeks. If you want some serious protection and a great shine, try a sealant like Rejex. Super durable, easy application and protects daily drivers better than anything I've ever used. Rejex will last about 6-8 months with only one layer believe it or not!.

Should I have a professional detailer "clay bar" my vehicle? I have one that said he will let me watch so I can learn how to apply correctly myself. Do you recommend clay bars on dark grey cars? Claying is one of the easier processes when taking care of your car. Save yourself the money and do it yourself. Grab the clay and clay lubricant and dedicate about 30-45 minutes to get the job done. Claying your car will increase the longevity of the sealant or wax you choose to use. Work on a panel at a time, use an adequate amount of lubricant, and rub the clay on the paint surface. Knead the clay as you go so you have a clean clay surface during the entire process.

Thanks

Check out my thoughts in the bold red lettering. If you need me to elaborate anymore, let me know. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread