Should I trade for this 1988 GT?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Okay so I found a guy with a 88 GT 5 speed that may possibly trade for my 1990 acura integra. Here's it's mod list: 306ci, Forged pistons and rods, crane cam, port/polish/milled E7 heads milled .015, .550 lift springs, 1.6 pedestal rockers, ported stock intake, 30lb injectors, ECM and wiring harness for Mass air swap, 76mm mass air meter and BBK cold air intake, BBK longtubes, 4 core radiator w/ 2 speed fan, steeda short throw, smog & A/C delete, king cobra clutch. Problems he says are that it dies when pushing in clutch to come to a stop, and the new BBK longtubes are rubbing on the steering shaft so he's worried about scratching them. Easy fixes? Worth the trade? He said it probably needs a vehicle speed sensor. He's only asking $1800 for it and it has a clean title. If I get it though the wheels and headlights will be changed and probably swap the Gt body kit for an LX kit.

Untitled by Sn8kebitten, on Flickr

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Sounds like it has some good potential I would offer him a little less and snatch it up for yourself

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The rubbing can probably be solved with new motor mounts. Those injectors are way to big for that combo, and should be swapped back to 19#ers unless you plan on adding a bunch of power.

The stalling issue is likely because the IAC is either dirty, or inop. Everything you posted is an easy fix, generally speaking.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I was planning on swapping injectors as well. I'll talk to the guy more in a half hour when he gets off work. But since it use to be a speed density car that he swapped to mass air, could it have not previously had a vehicle speed sensor like he's saying it needs?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I was planning on swapping injectors as well. I'll talk to the guy more in a half hour when he gets off work. But since it use to be a speed density car that he swapped to mass air, could it have not previously had a vehicle speed sensor like he's saying it needs?

It's possible. If it has factory cruise, it would have had VSS, otherwise, the sensor wouldn't be present. The MAF cars do use the VSS to help hold the idle up when the clutch is pressed in until you drop below 7mph, but unless it has other issues (like to large of an injector in this case) it will run fine without it. If it doesn't have one, which means it didn't have cruise control either, then you can get one easily from LMR, but you'll also need a different spedometer cable as apparently, the cables are different between VSS and non VSS equipped cars.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
It's possible. If it has factory cruise, it would have had VSS, otherwise, the sensor wouldn't be present. The MAF cars do use the VSS to help hold the idle up when the clutch is pressed in until you drop below 7mph, but unless it has other issues (like to large of an injector in this case) it will run fine without it. If it doesn't have one, which means it didn't have cruise control either, then you can get one easily from LMR, but you'll also need a different spedometer cable as apparently, the cables are different between VSS and non VSS equipped cars.
Hmm so you think the injectors would be causing that? I wouldn't think it needs such a huge mass air meter as well

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Hmm so you think the injectors would be causing that? I wouldn't think it needs such a huge mass air meter as well

Meter size (as in diameter) won't hurt anything. You are just eliminating a flow restriction before the throttle body. 30# injectors are much larger than needed. Depending on how that meter is "calibrated" they might be causing the car to run rich, which wouldn't help this particular issue. Ideally, the larger injectors will just give you more overhead, but because of how "calibrated" meters work, load values are off (and it gets worse the larger your injector size gets) and it can cause some driveability issues, especially down low. When the time comes to get larger injectors, do yourself a favor and get a TwEECer or equivalent. Learn to tune the basics..you'll thank yourself for it later.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You droppin the knowledge FISHTAIL:beer:

LOL, I wish I'd known all of that off the cuff. I had to look part of it up. I knew the cars had a VSS, but since he said he needed it, I wondered what would make the car not have one. Turns out, SD cars without cruise didn't have them..everything else did. But it wasn't used as part of the programming until the MAF was introduced.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Well guys I'm going to look at it and possibly get it this coming Sunday. So far here's what I've learned: only rust is a small spot on hatch and a little spot on driver door. Passenger dash piece is cracked but has grey interior. Shortblock, computer, and harness came from his uncles 1989 mustang. It has 2.73 gears in the rear end. It may need roller rockers readjusted cause it started tapping yesterday. Steering wheel needs a new bushing because it's loose. And the carpet in the trunk is in bad shape. Besides the engine work he's done it's bone stock and he has the original motor, radiator, clutch, flywheel, and 19lb injectors

New pics:

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
LOL, I wish I'd known all of that off the cuff. I had to look part of it up. I knew the cars had a VSS, but since he said he needed it, I wondered what would make the car not have one. Turns out, SD cars without cruise didn't have them..everything else did. But it wasn't used as part of the programming until the MAF was introduced.

You da man!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Check it over carefully when you get there. In particular, inspect the strut towers for rust, and look closely. I can be hard to spot there, but these cars LOVE to rot in that area. Also make sure the torque boxes are straight and not mangled (sign of abuse). Check the door hinges, make sure they aren't to far gone. I'm sure it'll need bushings/pins, but if it's been let go long enough, it will have hogged out the holes and it makes correcting the issue a pita.

Bring an automotive stethoscope, or equivalent (ie, long screwdriver) with you to make sure the tap is up top. The factory stamped rockers do break occasionally, so that's not a real big deal. I'd make sure when you replace them you replace the lifters as well though.

I see from the engine picture that the A/C has been deleted and the heatercore has been bypassed. So make sure to look the car over closely..

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Check it over carefully when you get there. In particular, inspect the strut towers for rust, and look closely. I can be hard to spot there, but these cars LOVE to rot in that area. Also make sure the torque boxes are straight and not mangled (sign of abuse). Check the door hinges, make sure they aren't to far gone. I'm sure it'll need bushings/pins, but if it's been let go long enough, it will have hogged out the holes and it makes correcting the issue a pita.

Bring an automotive stethoscope, or equivalent (ie, long screwdriver) with you to make sure the tap is up top. The factory stamped rockers do break occasionally, so that's not a real big deal. I'd make sure when you replace them you replace the lifters as well though.

I see from the engine picture that the A/C has been deleted and the heatercore has been bypassed. So make sure to look the car over closely..
If you look closely, the driver side door handle is broke as well lol so I'd have to replace that. Or maybe just the whole door since he says that one has some rust. But it has 1.6 rollers that he installed for the cam. What would be gained by bypassing the heatercore?

SVTORANGE

Established Member
The heater core probably needs to be replaced so rather than having anti freeze leak in car you by-pass it

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The heater core probably needs to be replaced so rather than having anti freeze leak in car you by-pass it

Yeah, that. Replacing it isn't difficult, but it is involved. You have to remove the entire dashboard, which ultimately entails removing a good portion of the interior. However, on a car like this, that's not a bad thing. It'll give you a chance to look over all of the wiring without having to be a contortionist.

Replacing the door handle is easy, and new ones are in-expensive.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Thanks a lot you two for helping me out with this. I can't wait to go check it out. He's about to tell me the mileage as soon as he gets home. Idk why he wouldn't know that already lol

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Your Welcome, but be prepared to spend some good quality time working all the little gremlins and bugs out of it. Beat him up on the price and point out all the work you need to do to it.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on what you decide to do:beer:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Thanks a lot you two for helping me out with this. I can't wait to go check it out. He's about to tell me the mileage as soon as he gets home. Idk why he wouldn't know that already lol

No problem man, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread