Should I track my 99 Cobra, or keep my BMW e36 track car?

NIL8R

I PROMISE IT WON'T HURT
Established Member
Hi guys, here is my dilemma. I have often thought about making my Cobra my designated track car but wonder if it will be as much fun as my 318 E36. Do any of you who open track often have an idea of how the two models compare, my main concern is just how much more the Cobra weighs and how it will effect the handling by comparison to the BMW. They both run coilovers and various other basic suspension mods.
My other alternative is to sell the cobra and put a terminator motor in my E36 chassis.

Thanks in advance of any info.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Stick with the E36....much better platform. Even when I'm on the track with them, it's blatantly obvious they turn a lot better than my cars (see sig). I've also tried out my brother's Dinan M3 E36...just a more composed car when pushed.

Greensix

Established Member
Before you commit one way or the other, why not just do a track day in the Cobra and see how you like it?

NIL8R

I PROMISE IT WON'T HURT
Established Member
Hi Greensix, I should just give it a go and see for myself, good plan.

I already have a terminator motor with a KB blower, plus I wanted something different.

MFE

Established Member
The E36 will be better balanced, easier on consumables, and unless there are long straights involved, probably just as fast.

NIL8R

I PROMISE IT WON'T HURT
Established Member
Currently, I am all over much faster cars in the corners, just miss the V8 torque.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Hi Greensix, I should just give it a go and see for myself, good plan.

I already have a terminator motor with a KB blower, plus I wanted something different.

That is not a good enough reason to add 200 lbs to the front of a well balanced car. :pepper:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Another vote for the Bimmer. I can say from doing TT with NASA that it is cheaper and easier to make a 3 series fast vs. a Mustang. I don't think I would put a Terminator motor in the BMW though. I would do and LS motor or if you had to keep it ford find a way to put an old school stroked 302 in it. Aside from the motor though the your BMW trans is way better than any of the Ford trans I have shifted. The closest to quality and short precise throws is in my Fiesta ST.

racebronco2

Established Member
Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
What class does the Red White and Blue BMW run in? Honestly that vid looked like a big cluster. It looked more like an HPDE2 session than a 4. I would not base my decision on that vid.

racebronco2

Established Member
I think that was the first session out of the weekend so it will have alot of traffic. He runs in TTD, Fulton is his name. Session 4 is also Time Trials. I posted both video's so he and others can choose whom they want to run with, high hp cars or low hp cars. Yes it costs more to go fast but having a high hp Cobra sure makes it easier to keep up with the faster cars, besides most people think Mustangs can't keep up with the C6ZO6's.

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
How much money do you want to spend on the Cobra?

You do not need a Terminator motor; the 4.6 NA with bolt-ons are fine.

You can compete with E36's, but it will take some money. Also, every driver is different. I track my 01 Cobra a couple times per month, and most E36's don't give me any problems.

Gears are going to be your biggest performance benefit. I run Yukon 4.30's, and they're perfect for MY track (CMP), but the 'perfect' gears depend on what track you run.

I also have plenty of suspension bits, including the FTBR IRS Bushing Kit.

And the FTBR Brembo / 14" 2 piece kit, which I probably abuse a little too much. But, it allows for much later braking.

I can give you the full list of everything done to my car if you're interested. I will say more than a couple people have said it feels surprisingly good for a Mustang.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Keep the E36 . Way better balanced easier car to drive . Also parts are very easy to come by . The only advantage of a terminator powered 99 cobra would be the ability to keep close to them around the course and pass them on the straight aways . With an e36 it's way easier to carry speed around the corner than a 3500+ mustang . However nothing will ever compare to the torque you get out a mustang especially one that's terminated. Good luck ... Choose what ever make you happy!

Users who are viewing this thread