Should I negotiate my salary for this new job?

Coiled03

Established Member
A candidates view of self is not relevant.

If I offer you a job, I know your exact worth to my organization and your level of talent. My interview process leaves zero doubt about what you know, what you can do and how your personality will effect your capabilities.

Hahahahahha!!! No....you don't. I'd say you vastly, VASTLY....over-estimate the effectiveness of your vaunted "interview process".

I'm sorry, but it's virtually impossible to know someone that well after an hour long conversation, or even several hours. And even if you think you do, some people interview better than others, which has no bearing on their skill to do the job, unless you're paying them to be professional interviewers.

How about you give us weather report from up there on your high horse, boss?

Machdup1

Established Member
Hahahahahha!!! No....you don't. I'd say you vastly, VASTLY....over-estimate the effectiveness of your vaunted "interview process".

I'm sorry, but it's virtually impossible to know someone that well after an hour long conversation, or even several hours. And even if you think you do, some people interview better than others, which has no bearing on their skill to do the job, unless you're paying them to be professional interviewers.

How about you give us weather report from up there on your high horse, boss?
It is easy to determine everything I need to know. If you can’t, stay out of a role where it is job to do so.

Save your Melinnel “I’m special, cause mommy told me so” crap for someone who hasn’t seen a thousand special failures, just like you.

coposrv

Established Member
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the "Warm Body" argument.

It doesn't matter what they look like, their talent or intelligence, or their values, as long as they have a pulse and a body temp of 98 degrees, they're hired. But god forbid they have self worth/expectations of income for the level of work performed. And if they dare express those expectations, goodbye job offer.

SMH

Bravo sir. Couldn’t agree more. When hiring I prefer someone who thinks highly of themselves who shows ambition. Not someone who’s here for a paycheck. I want to hire people smarter than Myself.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
PLC’s Technician

I placed automation and controls engineers (among a few other engineering disciplines) for 25 years as an independent recruiter, along with a few automation techs. Companies were less inclined to pay headhunters to find techs for some reason, I don't know why. Y'all certainly aren't any easier to find.

There have been some good observations in this thread, and some I wouldn't recommend.

I was typically dealing with large organizations since they are the ones that were more likely to have the budget to spend $15,000-$30,000 on a recruiter to get an engineering position filled, so what I will say here may not be true of small organizations. Keep in mind that what I'm discussing is HR "conventional wisdom". Every hiring situation is a little bit different, but generally speaking, the below is the typical thought process of the HR person and hiring manager who has to determine your salary.

Part of an employer's decision to even interview you as a candidate is to determine if what you are currently earning fits within their own salary ranges.
If a headhunter is involved, they have a pretty good idea of that by now because they expect that recruiter to provide that information the same time he/she sends them your resume.

Most companies assume, right or wrong, that people are usually paid what they are worth unless there are unusual circumstances. They also aren't going to pay you more than they pay someone else in their organization with comparable experience, skills and abilities.

Might they pay someone with 2 years experience the same as someone with 10 years experience? Maybe, because sometimes the folks with 10 years experience really only have 5 times 2 years of experience. So it happens.

Anyway, once they've sized you up, they are going to look at what they are paying other people with similar skills and experience. Once they determine what grade level they want to try to bring you in at they will hope to be able to pay you the midpoint of that salary or hourly rate, or less. Primarily so that they can give you a raise at your first review if you are performing. If they bring you in well above the midpoint of the range, they nearly have to give you a promotion to give you a raise at your first review. They don't like being in that position if they can avoid it.

Most engineers I placed didn't change jobs for more money. They left because of the job. If Company A is paying PLC techs competitively, and Company B is paying pretty much the same range, the likelihood of getting a big bump in pay is just not there. Most engineers I placed got maybe 5-10% more at best unless they were being grossly underpaid, and there was usually a reason they were being grossly underpaid.

I will also say that a good friend of mine who had all of facilities maintenance reporting to him at a large plant site say to me that he had miserable people who would leave their miserable job to take another miserable job for another $.25 an hour. The technical professionals I placed didn't tend to think like that.

If you counter with a salary they can't or won't offer, there is the chance they will think you aren't going to be happy, even if you agree to the original offer. There is risk in that strategy. It was mentioned above that an offer could be withdrawn. I have seen it happen, so play that hand carefully.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
A candidates view of self is not relevant.

If I offer you a job, I know your exact worth to my organization and your level of talent. My interview process leaves zero doubt about what you know, what you can do and how your personality will effect your capabilities.

Lol. Ohhhhkaaaaaay.

You’re the first person to figure this out. Ever.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It is easy to determine everything I need to know. If you can’t, stay out of a role where it is job to do so.

Save your Melinnel “I’m special, cause mommy told me so” crap for someone who hasn’t seen a thousand special failures, just like you.

How is having self worth equal to "i'm special".

If a person says "Man, I like the company and benefits, but I was really hoping for about 5% more in salary" and you go "Nope, looks like this won't work, bye"

That doesn't make you the smartest person in the room. It just makes you an asshole.

Coiled03

Established Member

He mad! I questioned his special "process", and now I'm a failure! OH NOES!

BTW....what's a Melinnel?

You can couch your superiority complex however you want. You clearly have no comprehension of your own limitations. I'd say that makes you the "special" one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If salary and everything was told to you upfront or before the interview....then you don't have much to argue, as you took the interview knowing what it paid.

If all of this was made to your knowledge during or after the interview, it's fairly easy to negotiate.

Machdup1

Established Member
He mad! I questioned his special "process", and now I'm a failure! OH NOES!

BTW....what's a Melinnel?

You can couch your superiority complex however you want. You clearly have no comprehension of your own limitations. I'd say that makes you the "special" one.
The difference between us is that my track record of hiring only the best people is unquestioned and I have years of awards to prove it, how about you?

It’s not arrogance if you can back it up.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
O.P. needs to be realistic about his future. The only chance he has at making any money is pimpin’ his self out to 40+ year old women and “negotiating” payment with them. Might even get a boost box out of the deal.

Right @GM2Ford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AssPikle

Established Member
Just go with what you think is right. Dont listen to most of us knucleheads as half the information you will get here is bs. Just pick what your gut tells you to, and dont look back. Dont be over or under confindent. Just be confident in your abilities and for the love of god, dont chase money. If you do, it will always be your failure.

Users who are viewing this thread