Should I give in?

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I drive my L daily. I get tons of looks and she's so fun to drive to and from work. I just kind of feel that it's old news. This truck is 9 years old, still get's compliments, is the talk of my small ass town, still considered high HP, but yet I still feel that I'd be better off in something else. Aside from going built and KB or Whipple, I feel that I'm at the limit. I don't want to say that I'm bored, but for some reason in this town the cars here are all rare. In my neighborhood alone there are 4 Lightnings. We have maybe 15 Z06's and 5 GT500's I saw just today. The only other vehicle I'd rather drive is a GT, but that's so far out of my price range......

what do you guys do to get over the monotonous? day in and out with the L has been great, but I want something new. I won't get anything near what I've put into her, but I'm considering trading it in.

hopefully I'm not going crazy cuz this is my dream vehicle, but there are so many performance vehicles here that I still want to stand out in both looks and performance.

here's my L:

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

04sonicL

Established Member
I feel the same way sometimes about my truck lately. I love my L but with all the high hp cars around anymore I feel like my truck is slow in comparison. It is funny though how many people tell me how nice my truck is and ask about it. I think I will stick with my baby and just go built soon so I can still hang with most of the new cars.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Why not go built? If you're a gearhead once you stop modding anything you can get bored with it. I know you'll miss it if you sell it.

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
You just gotta always be doing something to it or you will get bored with it. I get the same feeling all the time. But once i start playing with it again the little warm feeling comes back.

Wayne

en89vo

Established Member
Dude, your L looks awesome! I am really thinking about going with that same color set up on the wheels and tails. I wouldn't sell her, but like the others, I understand the "boredom" feelings. Happens to everyone at some point or another!

cobrkilrl

Established Member
I traded my L in on a 09 GT500. Yes the mustang is faster and has more power and with little mods put me in the 520+ RWHP range. The comfort features are nice and the attention I get is great when i'm driving it. BUT to this day, I still regreat trading in the L. It was black and stock except for a cold air induction and bassani exhaust. It had 45,000 highway miles on it. The paint was perfect and most of all, it was paid for. If I had it to do all over again I would have kept it and built the motor, suspension and have the same power levels I have with the KR now. Like you I got bored and could never make up my mind what to do with it, so I just traded it in. You have one of the most beautiful L's I have seen. It is sit up nice with the suspension you have and the color is bad ass. Love the wheels! The cost of a good engine build is a lot cheaper than trading it in and start payments all over again provided yours is paid for. I would keep it, build it and fall in love with all over again. And you could still run with the big boy's. There's always going to be somebody out there that is faster. That has been proven to me several times even in my KR but that is the fun of it. Winning some, loosing some. JMO.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Sounds like you're in the same boat i am in... I think i just get tired of washing/detailing mine as its always the same! LOL... I am going to buy myself another GP1200 for the water this year to make me need to keep the L so I can tow it! I am pretty sure if i ditched the L i would regret it.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
I too have been getting "bored" with my truck lately and I'm also at the point where the only next step will require going built and a new power adder. Some days I want to just trade the truck in but like you I know I wont get what I feel its worth. So far the only thing that has kept me from doing this is the idea of not having any kind of car payment and I keep reminding myself that this is my dream car and has been since I was 16. As already mentioned, it seems that everyone who sells or trades an L for something else has regretted it and eventually finds themselves back in one. So I would say either just remain content with the L as it is or do what you have to do to go built.

BT2001SVT

I'm an Agent of CHAOS!!
Established Member
Truck looks TITS brother:rockon::rockon:

Don't sell it TRUST me you'll regret it, I sold my first one and HATED myself immediately after,
jumped right back into another one a few months later. I've owned many other performance vehicles
too before my L's, so this wasn't my introduction into the performance game either.
Go built just like the others have said.
Now's the perfect time to do so with all the deals floating around on built blocks.
It's a whole new ballgame after that, you'll thank youself after.

Matter of Fact - check out SS This' vid of his truck running 192MPH in the mile
he posted the vid in the Gen 2 section, that should give you some motivation
of possible highway runs against the Vette's with a L with a built motor, definitely be able to hang around.

BT

Last edited:

9GUY9

Boosted and Blown
Established Member
I sold mine 2 years ago, because it was my DD and I live in MN. I have missed it ever since.

I have been lurking for awhile now because I am thinking of getting rid of my "fun" car for another L.

_XXX_

Established Member
Just start saving cash and buy another perf. vehicle.... then in time u can build ur truck... I'd never sell my truck I don't care if I have to sleep in a box it's was my first purchase right outa highschool, but I'm sure someone would be glad to take it off ur hands its a sharp truck:beer:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I also made the mistake of selling my first Lightning back in '06, I've missed it ever since. Luckily, I got a second chance skimming through craigslist a few months ago and picked up my current '99 Black L for cheap! Pick up another car, when I get bored with the truck, I pull out the cobra and drive it for a bit. When I get back in the truck it's like a brand new vehicle!

P.S. I, too, can't wait for the day when my motor blows! I'm going to take it to PSI to build the motor and get one of Patrick's turbo kits!

Users who are viewing this thread