Shotgun question

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
I have been thinking about picking one up for home protection and some range shooting. After talking to other owners and some reading I was set on getting the Remington 870. Heard nothing but goods things about it.

Well after some more research , I ran across this :

Mossberg 500 Roadblocker: The most badass pump action shotgun ever | The Firearm Blog

Im new to the firearm scene, so since I know there are quite a few guys here that know their stuff, is one better than the other ( brand , quality , etc. ) and which would you suggest ? Im not looking to spend much over the six hundred dollar range if that helps.

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

I've only ever owned Mossberg Shotguns, I've never been let down by one in quality, functionality or comfort.

Here's my current
006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

txyaloo

Established Member
$600 is really expensive for a pump shotgun. You can get a remington 870 express with an 18" barrel and extended magazine for around $330 out the door if you shop around.

I'd go with the 870 over the mossburg 500. If you decide to go with the mossburg, just get their standard 500. They go for around $200-250 out the door.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I like the Ithica 37/87 pump as it has no milled parts not even the trigger plus you can fire it right or left handed. Try that with a 500/870 as when you put it up to your left shoulder your going to be eating casings as the 500/870 ejection port is on the right side. The Ithica ejects and feeds from the bottom. Never had a problem with the 3 37's I had just that they'er not as massed produced as the Rem or Mossy's

qachargh

Established Member
Either one. Neither one will ever let you down. The only real reason to pick one over the other is whichever was cheapest at the moment.

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
870 has less parts and is a simpler design. I have an express with an 18" barrel, 9 round extension, surefire lighted forend and a pistol grip, as well as a 16 gauge wingmaster that is over 60 years old... Both work better than new. And if you're gonna spend anywhere near 600 bucks go find a used Benelli M1 Super 90 and don't look back...

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. Im glad to see they aren't as expensive as I was expecting. Some I ran across online were somewhat expensive Im assuming due to different add ons.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. Im glad to see they aren't as expensive as I was expecting. Some I ran across online were somewhat expensive Im assuming due to different add ons.

The 590 I have is fairly cheap but the cool thing about it is it's nickel coated so it looks badass with the coating and the pistol grip, but it's also rust proof. Holds 8 rounds as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything that was mentioned though as they are all great guns. Price is probably the biggest factor here.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Both are fine shotguns for thier intended purposes!!!

I have both and like them a lot but i do favor the 870

When you decide you want to kill some birds post up again and we'll point you towards semis and over/unders!!!!!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
so wheres a good place to pick up the 870, gunstore or is a place like Dicks sporting goods gonna carry it?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
so wheres a good place to pick up the 870, gunstore or is a place like Dicks sporting goods gonna carry it?

dicks, gander mountain, etc will have them. if your local wal-mart sells guns they should have them too. it might be tough though if you live in the communist state of MD. In PA it was no problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread