Shortblocks......

STROKT

Established Member
Kinda curious about the Latemodelresto/50resto.com shortblocks for 2,500 for 4v.

Does anyone here have any experience with those?

My '01 Cobra has 154,000 miles and runs very well, but I think it's time for a refresher and wanted to build an all motor 400rwhp cobra...

Has anyone here ever tried to deck the stock heads down to around 50cc's and use a dome top piston in a mod motor?

High compression + E85 should get me 400rwhp on stock displacement.....or is it all just a pipe dream?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Kinda curious about the Latemodelresto/50resto.com shortblocks for 2,500 for 4v.

Does anyone here have any experience with those?

My '01 Cobra has 154,000 miles and runs very well, but I think it's time for a refresher and wanted to build an all motor 400rwhp cobra...

Has anyone here ever tried to deck the stock heads down to around 50cc's and use a dome top piston in a mod motor?

High compression + E85 should get me 400rwhp on stock displacement.....or is it all just a pipe dream?

I assume you are talking about this engine?
1996-04 Mustang 4.6L 2/4V "Street Mod 600 Motor" Short Block For Naturally Aspirated Applications at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Its the MMR 600. Not bad if you plan to stay n/a and are targeting 400rwhp. Down side is the iron block but you can upgrade to an aluminum version through MMR. You could also get the 10.1 version Aluminator from Towsley Ford for 3200 shipped to your door. Great deal IMO plus the short block is good for 700+rwhp. Down side here is you are stuck with 10.1 compression. vs the MMR you can get in pretty much any compression you want. If n/a is your game then 10.5.1 or 11.1 IMO. Short block, fresh valve job on your stock heads and cams and you could make 370rwhp on pump. Short runner and E85 I could see 400rwhp.

STROKT

Established Member
Does anyone have a set of cam's they recommend for these cars?

I am having trouble finding info on camshaft for these things.

I like how my fox is 1 camshaft and not 4 :(

So is there a set many are happy with?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Comp has NA cams

+1. Chriss Scott makes 380rwhp using Comp off the shelf n/a cams, bolt ons and stock 03-04 heads. MM&FF added the same cams IIRC to their Mach 1 project car and made 370rwhp. And that was a bolt on car with stock heads too. Granted it had the 10.1 aluminator but the compression is nearly identical to stock so that wasn't a factor.

When it comes to cams in the mod motors custom grind are the way to go. But there are some off the shelf brands that do rather well like described above.

STROKT

Established Member
What kinds of costs are expected with a stock shortblock rebuild and some better rods?

I know on my 363R setup it's been thousands of dollars and I don't want to spend that much on my Cobra...just a fresh conservative build that nets ~400rwhp. It's going to be my Roadtrip car and I want something that has power, but not so much power it makes the car drive like shit but would be able to keep up with today's 5.0

01yellercobra

Established Member
MM&FF added the same cams IIRC to their Mach 1 project car and made 370rwhp. And that was a bolt on car with stock heads too. Granted it had the 10.1 aluminator but the compression is nearly identical to stock so that wasn't a factor.

This would probably be a good way to go for you. It's a brand new motor, it'll give you about the power you want, and should prove to be reliable for a long road trip. Don't forget they also used a PSR intake.

quikcobra

Established Member
Here man if you want a good shop with great customer service check Excessive Motorsports Home Page They are local and have my 99 cobra block. They even did some work another shop screwed up for nothing. And you dont have to mess with manley pistons and be iffy on what internals thay gave you (I read MMR does) And slow or just bad customer service (posted all over even in your thread). But for 400 N/A When you call or email excessiveracing.com tell him you need a bad ass set of 4V cams his business partner is Nick from Modular head shop which also has good customer service. So you can get a cheap budget build with diamond pistons manley rods and a set of of the self or custom ground cams for your application.

And your intake is good enough, It wouldnt hurt to cut and port it but its good until you get the motor and all.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:

STROKT

Established Member
Okay thanks...

Just kinda want to keep this car on a budget since I purchased it for 2,800.00 and don't want to exceed it's value too much.

quikcobra

Established Member
I understand give the company a call ask for Jordan (The owner) and tell him Mickey told you to call and mess with him a bit tell him your looking to do in cheap he can get you a good set of custom pistons and some rods or a full short block you to can figure out the best for your pocket but he sure will work with you.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
This would probably be a good way to go for you. It's a brand new motor, it'll give you about the power you want, and should prove to be reliable for a long road trip. Don't forget they also used a PSR intake.

That engine had a ported intake, not a short runner (PSR).

Users who are viewing this thread