Short Runner VS Stock Intake - Dyno Results

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
This is one of many different short runner designs I've worked on over the years. This particular one sacrifices very little torque and picks up around 12 peak hp and 35+ at 6700 on a simple bolt on car. Something with a cam should expect 50'ish+ HP around 7000 RPM.

The comparison was performed on the same day, same dyno. After the stock 03 Mach intake was optimized the intakes were swapped while the car was strapped to the Dynojet 248c. In less than an hour after the stock intake was dialed in, the short runner was on and making its first pull. Air/fuel and engine temp were kept constant to avoid any outside influences. Unfortunately the temp had come up 7 degrees by the time the short runner was on but I think this is about as close as possible to a direct and fair comparison.

ShortRunnerVSStock03MachIntake.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It was always my understanding that shortening runner length will sacrifice HP on the very top end of the rpm band??

DOCHMACH1

Established Member
Finally someone overlaid a nice graph on a stock motor. What runner length is the short one? and who did the work on the short runner intake?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
dang from 4.5 up looks reall solid...finally some back to back info.. :beer:

Nice, i've been looking for a shortrunner for the last couple months or so and haven't had any luck.

Thanks guys.

What make/brand is the short runner intake?

How short was this intake? 9.5" like nazmans, or 5-6"? Id like to break 400, a 5-6" would work?

It is my design. "Similar" to a typical 10" short runner. This particular itteration is more designed for a larger cam/high RPM and or big bore/stroker stuff. The style Nazman used would actually be slightly better for a bolt on car because the low end torque would be a tad better.

Breaking 400 with a bolt on car is going to be challenging to say the least, and aside from Nazman's mystery combination that hit 410, I dont think anyone has accomplished the task (I would be happy to be wrong). I'm not saying it's impossible but you'd have to start with a fully optimized bolt on combo like Modularspeeds that is turning few accessories, light weight wheels, aluminum this and that etc. etc.

If you go to the HP List and look at the 400+ barrier you'll see they're all big bore, high compression, stroker, forged internal combinations with the ability to either spin to the moon or make the additional power with added cubic inches.

In the end you would have a better curve in the 5000 - 7000 RPM range with a 10" ish short runner than a 5", and have have a lot better power band below that, which might be important if you cared about that RPM range.

It was always my understanding that shortening runner length will sacrifice HP on the very top end of the rpm band??

No, thankfully it's the opposite. It's alot easier to shorten than to add. Ask me how I know, lol.

cobra916

Established Member
hows the timing charts from stock length to psri look?? was the stock intake ported? do you have another car getting one soon? why wasnt the car reved past 6800?? isnt it unusual for prsi peak is at 5800?is it me or does the stock cars dyno looks odd to.. the power is so flat from 5200 up..there is hardly a peak hp.. please dont take this as a insult.. i know everyone these days is so sensitive if you ask questions.. haha kinda feels like talking to people about religion.. either your with us or against us..son!!

omj

Established Member

Here's a Naz psr on my 99 Cobra. It has all the standard boltons.

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
hows the timing charts from stock length to psri look?? was the stock intake ported? do you have another car getting one soon? why wasnt the car reved past 6800?? isnt it unusual for prsi peak is at 5800?is it me or does the stock cars dyno looks odd to.. the power is so flat from 5200 up..there is hardly a peak hp.. please dont take this as a insult.. i know everyone these days is so sensitive if you ask questions.. haha kinda feels like talking to people about religion.. either your with us or against us..son!!

No worries. Ask away.

Timing doesnt change. The only thing that needs to be adjusted when swapping intakes is the a/f ratio.

The stock intake was untouched.

This was a stock cammed, bolt-on car so rev limiter kicks in at 6800.

The HP curve is just a characteristic of this particular engine. Things like variables in intake cam centerline and exhaust configuration can affect the curve pretty dramatically.

Last edited:

cobra916

Established Member
No worries. Ask away.

Timing doesnt change. The only thing that needs to be adjusted when swapping intakes is the a/f ratio.

The stock intake was untouched.

This was a stock cammed, bolt-on car so rev limiter kicks in at 6800.

The HP curve is just a characteristic of this particular engine. Things like variables in intake cam centerline and exhaust configuration can affect the curve pretty dramatically.

were you there for the dyno or is this info a customer is sending you??

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Got any pics of the intake? I know its on but of the process? Or interested in making another lol...

I have a few little tricks I've picked up over the years that I'm not ready to give away with pictures but Nazman posted tons of pictures of his work if you want to get an idea of what a 10" short runner can look like. His intakes performed much better than ported units as you can see by the dyno graphs that others have contributed. If you cant find the pictures, PM me and I'll send you some. I will occasionally do one for someone but I dont have the time to knock a bunch of these out. They are extremely labor intensive and time consuming.

were you there for the dyno or is this info a customer is sending you??

I performed all the dyno, tuning, datalogging and swapping myself. This was a very tightly controlled back to back comparison with as few variables as possible.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
My car made 307 with Nazmans intake and 9:1 compression. Stock heads/cams and just Long tubes, when my car was N/A. Just an FYI

Cool thread and comparison!!

Users who are viewing this thread