Short runner intake progress *pix inside*

the anti-rice

Established Member
Heres what weve done thus far. Ported and polished up the upper and lower intake and have cut the runner length 1 1/2'. On the upper, both crossover tubes were taken out. Here are some pix of where we're at.
Tools used, were a Dremel (sp) w/ various bits, dye grinder, and lots of patience/beer.

100_0255.jpg

100_0259.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0257.jpg

100_0256.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_0251.jpg

Ill take some pix of the upper hat/intake later on.

Just about all the P/P work was done by BiteMark46. I only did some of it and had the runners cut and welded (thanx to Coastal Dyno). Still some work to be done on both intakes.

Now for a question, the runners were cut 1 1/2in. Im thinking the lower intake valley should be filled in partially due to the shorter runner length. My thinking behind that theory is that FORD made the runners the length they are and had the valley at the depth its at now. Stock. Now with the shorter runners, how much of that valley would have to be filled with epoxy or cut & welded? :shrug: If Ford made the runners one inch longer, wouldnt they have made the intake valley one inch deeper? Follow what Im thinking? Any input would be appreciated......

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I think (I'm no expert) The stock valley working with the shorter runners is one of the things that help. The velocity and turbulance will be different than it was.
If you fill in the bottom it will put it close to what you had before and the shorter runners won't make as much difference.
Not to mention more air capicity to Gulp on the hit when you first kick it in the a** so to speak.

I don't THINK any of the companies out there that make short runners fill any of the bottom, but I'm not sure.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Correct^^, the floor height only affects performance if it is too close to the runner inlets and obstructs flow.

Why would you polish the entire plenum?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
na svt said:
Correct^^, the floor height only affects performance if it is too close to the runner inlets and obstructs flow.

I did it because I figured what the hell I'm already in there might as well. I know the airspeed isn't fast enough that the polish isn't going to give any noticeable gains if any. But once I removed the factory expoxy puddles and runs I just kept going. -Mark

the anti-rice

Established Member
na svt said:

We did that to smooth out the ridges and roughness of the lower. Makes for less friction loss and turbulance on a smoother surface. Same reason for putting a knife edge on the dividers.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Nice work. So it looks like your car is down like mine Ryan huh? I just got the car running with the forged motor last week. Looks like the morons that did my heads (not Sam) Did somethings wrong. I just pullled the motor back out today and will be bring it to Sam monday to take it back apart and figure out what those woderful people did wrong. I have a post on TR called What to do....Shops Fked up my heads.

-Wayne

BTW, Ryan or Mark I have a 99-01 intake i want to cut open and port the bottom. I've already done the top of the runners but not the bottom. Do you guys know anything about putting the intake back together if i cut the bottom off? Thanks.

the anti-rice

Established Member
Wayne, Ive still got the car together. I got another intake a few months back. Sam has got a 99+ intake the Boss330 did lying around the shop. Take a look at that and see. Ive never done anything like that on any intake.

I read your post on TR, that sux man! Who did the heads?

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
the anti-rice said:
Wayne, Ive still got the car together. I got another intake a few months back. Sam has got a 99+ intake the Boss330 did lying around the shop. Take a look at that and see. Ive never done anything like that on any intake.

I read your post on TR, that sux man! Who did the heads?

I'll check that intake out monday. Thanks

I dont want to say any names till i know for sure what the deal is, but i will post asap. I wish i knew you where looking for a intake. I sold mine on ebay a while back.

On a good note though. When we tuned the car (had under 30 miles on the motor) It put down about 280rwhp. Thats with a 8.5:1 CR. So my port matching and minor porting helped. So far it looks like the rings are sealing great. I did notice some smoke though on decel on the dyno, not sure about that.

Btw, anyone know anyone with that has some 01 ointake cams for sale. And also, do you guys know anyone that does good paint work? I need to get some new paint on this beast now.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the anti-rice said:
We did that to smooth out the ridges and roughness of the lower. Makes for less friction loss and turbulance on a smoother surface. Same reason for putting a knife edge on the dividers.

A knife is much worse aerodynamically than a smooth rounded edge. Did you really knife edge them? Also, the plenum is a low velocity, high pressure area therefore turbulence is minimal, if not non-existent.

the anti-rice

Established Member
Havnt knife edged them yet. They are rounded right now.

Wayne, PM $hawn on TR. He does very good paint/body work. He'll be doing my car again once I get my ducks in a row.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
the anti-rice said:
Havnt knife edged them yet. They are rounded right now.

Wayne, PM $hawn on TR. He does very good paint/body work. He'll be doing my car again once I get my ducks in a row.

Last i talked to him he said he would'nt do it. Have you talked to him recently? He was a pain to get hold of at the time.

I have some stuff. What do you need?

the anti-rice

Established Member
Just curious to see what youve got....not really looking for anything in particuler.

Other $hawn, I cant really think of anyone else. Try Carsmetics or some place like that just to get a price of what you want done. There are plenty of places in Tampa that can fix the car. Just remember, yuou get what you pay for.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
the anti-rice said:
Just curious to see what youve got....not really looking for anything in particuler.

Other $hawn, I cant really think of anyone else. Try Carsmetics or some place like that just to get a price of what you want done. There are plenty of places in Tampa that can fix the car. Just remember, yuou get what you pay for.

I have both heads with cams. The drv. side head has damage in the bowl areas in 6,7, & 8 from the chunks of piston flying around. The car still made 290rwhp with the damage but it was ticking. I have a few other random things but nothing really useful.

I looked back at some PMs and i think it was actually we just had conflicting time frames. The front end is all fixed now. It looks real good, Just its all red.
I'm thinking about painting it myself. I forgot about carsmetics though.

I have the motor back out so i was hoping i could get someone like shawn to do it for a good price. Because i'm not letting ANYONE touch this car with the new motor. I've bent over backwards and been to hell and back to get it to this point. I'll be damned if i'm going to let anyone have a chance at ****ing this motor up.

oh yeah, you can FINALY have you head light back...lol

Last edited:

the anti-rice

Established Member
badass98svt said:
Where would be the best place/price to send my intake to?
Does it require a tune?
I would think so. Im going to put mine back on the dyno and see. You putting more air into the motor so your going to have to put more fuel somehow. It'll also show the hp/tp gains/losses on the dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread