Short pulls speedo view - Turbo Coyote

TClark22

Established Member
Not going to lie the jump from 400rwhp N/a to 650rwhp got be like :coolman: Trying to get used to the power and these are actually the first time I shifted into another gear. Taking baby steps...lol I wanted to race someone this weekend but didn't end up finding any.

Need some lower gears in this thing.

Just some short pulls.

[video=youtube;n4cNRUPiJgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4cNRUPiJgc[/video]

Kiohtee

Established Member
Your gauges brighten as the throttle is increased? :dw:

And fast car! But you probably already knew that. Lol

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
Looks fast, yeah you need to swap to 3.27s or 3.55s. I have a big single with an auto on low boost with 3.27's and love it.

Hate to say this but, to me it sounds like it's breaking up/spark blowout during the last 2 pulls. Almost sounds like traction control was cutting in. You might have a voltage issue or something, I also notice the gauges becoming much brighter during WOT.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree something doesn't sound right in the last two pulls. Those gauges light up a lot.

TClark22

Established Member
I kind of thought it was breaking up as well but it starts happening pretty much as soon as the gates open...I'm not so knowledgeable on these things as much as I like to think cause I thought that, asked my buddy whose far more knowledgeable and says its the gates opening. I'll get my tuners opinion soon. Also need to check the plugs

Yes the gauges to get brighter...something is wrong in my electrical...it pulses and has been ever since the coyote swap. I'm assuming it has something to do with the alternator since it gets brighter with RPM. I haven't figured it out. Or even know where to start. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:

killbee

Established Member
I kind of thought it was breaking up as well but it starts happening pretty much as soon as the gates open...I'm not so knowledgeable on these things as much as I like to think cause I thought that, asked my buddy whose far more knowledgeable and says its the gates opening. I'll get my tuners opinion soon. Also need to check the plugs

Yes the gauges to get brighter...something is wrong in my electrical...it pulses and has been ever since the coyote swap. I'm assuming it has something to do with the alternator since it gets brighter with RPM. I haven't figured it out. Or even know where to start. Anyone got any ideas?

Check your ground wires, especially the motor to chassis ground, this will be a good starting point.

TClark22

Established Member
Pulled the plugs, they were gapped at .32. So I dropped them to .28. I'll see if that makes a difference

All grounds go to frame. The motor ground goes from motor to rear kmember bolt. I want to move that but I also want to move my main battery ground in the rear that I just hooked up to one of the big bumper support bolts on the underside of the trunk. I want to find a new spot for the motor ground, something that is right to frame and not through the stupid K member bolt. I plan on using the existing threaded bungs in the rear from the quad shock bracket for the main battery ground.

Other than grounds, could I have wired up my alternator wrong or does the alternator need a ground? I say that because I'm using a 98 cobra alt and they are different than 04 and most certainly different from the coyote. We had to splice the older style pigtail into the new control pack harness (I bought a pigtail conversion that was plug and play but we decided to rid of the one plug and splice in the other so we don't have 2 plugs hanging around

scott_0

Established Member
its hooking up nicely it seems, what tires? I honestly expected lots of wheel spin

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
Pulls hard! Nice work man.

Check the output of the alternator at idle, then rev. I wonder if it isn't over charging, do the lights get brighter than normal?

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
IMO the .032 gap is too much, even though that's probably not the entire problem. You should be around .025 and I'd also look into running a non-projected tip plug. Yes you'll make a tiny bit less power then a normal plug, but it will be safer especially on pump gas.

If you don't drive it much just put it on a battery tender before taking it out, just to make sure you've got a full charge.

Last edited:

TClark22

Established Member
its hooking up nicely it seems, what tires? I honestly expected lots of wheel spin

Oh no, from second it dead hooks. Running 315/30/18 Hoosiers. Love them

Pulls hard! Nice work man.

Check the output of the alternator at idle, then rev. I wonder if it isn't over charging, do the lights get brighter than normal?

I'll have to start checking. Since it ran great N/a and the battery was never drained even when letting it sit for days, I never looked into it. I'm wondering if my alternator wiring is wrong. Its obviously still charging it. But I don't think they get brighter than normal...but in the video they definitely get real bright!

IMO the .032 gap is too much, even though that's probably not the entire problem. You should be around .025 and I'd also look into running a non-projected tip plug. Yes you'll make a tiny bit less power then a normal plug, but it will be safer especially on pump gas.

If you don't drive it much just put it on a battery tender before taking it out, just to make sure you've got a full charge.

Not exactly sure what a non projected tip plug is. lol I'm just running some NGK 6510. 2 steps colder than stock I think.

I've let it sit for days and the battery doesn't die or anything. I'm still thinking we messed up wiring in my alternator or my grounds just suck. I haven't read that anyone else with a coyote swap is experiencing this electrical problem

Sirraf

Established Member
Get your alternator checked ASAP. Your injectors could be losing voltage=less fuel at WOT=Boom.

TClark22

Established Member
Get your alternator checked ASAP. Your injectors could be losing voltage=less fuel at WOT=Boom.

Woah there. Pretty sure my tuner would have let me know if my injectors were losing voltage. I don't think I'm losing voltage but I might be generating too much. But haven't popped any fuses or anything since running this thing. I just need to find time to dig into the alt wiring, mess with my grounds and see where my problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread