Shop lifting GT500 from K-Member Ends

paluka21

Established Member
OK, so ever since i bought my car, i have been lifting by the rear Kmember. I have had the Roush Side splitters on since day one, so the pinch weld was never an option. I also see every ford dealer I have ever been to lift from that point. Im not doubting that its a bad spot after seeing all this, but Im just saying that there is nothing wrong with my alignment or any damage. Now my car is lower so getting to a suitable lifting point other than that rear part of the kmember is almost impossible even with my low pro extra long reach jack. I will try to find a new point when I lift it next, but Im always lifting it when I'm at the track adjusting shocks, changing wheels, etc. Again, I never knew this, but I don't thing its hurt it thus far, and I have had my car since march 2013

Are you lifting it where the bolts mount to the body?

C0bra99

Established Member

Attachments

• Premium_2inch_MagPad.jpg
    Premium_2inch_MagPad.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 853

Florian

Established Member
I use hockey pucks on the weld seam. Take 4 hockey pucks and mill or saw out a 1/2" wide x 1/2" deep section down the middle of puck. Put on your lift pads and for 5 bux you have a great alternative to expensive jacking aids.

F

paluka21

Established Member

C0bra99

Established Member
Very nice. I assume this fits in a similar manner to the jacking insert I have from Revan Racing?

//http://www.revanracing.com/products/true-forged-billet-jacking-insert.html

Yes Just longer

I can't tell from the picture, however, how large are these jack pads? I'm looking for something fairly narrow, about the same size as the scissor lift which comes with the older mustangs, as shown here:
http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Turn5/383955?$prodpg640x480$

I will try to get a picture today

paluka21

Established Member
Thanks for grabbing a picture of that. Does it come it contact with the Roush side splitter when lifting from the pinch weld?

mwilson6192

Established Member
Thanks for grabbing a picture of that. Does it come it contact with the Roush side splitter when lifting from the pinch weld?

ZL1 Addons (G Sim Aviation) makes a specific version for the Roush side splitters, named (appropriately enough) Roush Mustang Premium MagPads. I bought 4 of them for my 2 post lift, and they were $115 plus tax & shipping ($131).

Last edited:

stutter

eat me
Established Member
personally, I don't see how this is that big of an issue. Id like to see someone that damaged there stang from lifting from the K member.

paluka21

Established Member
personally, I don't see how this is that big of an issue. Id like to see someone that damaged there stang from lifting from the K member.

It was posted on here, and showed damage pictures of the k member area. Just do a search for "jacking" or "lifting" and you should see it.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
What I'm saying is two things, A. That frame looks like it's had more than K member damage, and also the short video is a collision. B. I know tons of member that lift from the K member. What I'm asking is for someone that has experience with damaging their k member due to lifting, which I doubt you'll fine, I've been doin it for the last two years with no problems

2k7gtcs

Established Member
I don't thin you'll find anyone willing to say they damaged their car lifting from the back of the k member because

1. They don't want to admit they have a damaged car

and

2. They don't want to look like a moron

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
stutter said:
What I'm saying is two things, A. That frame looks like it's had more than K member damage, and also the short video is a collision. B. I know tons of member that lift from the K member. What I'm asking is for someone that has experience with damaging their k member due to lifting, which I doubt you'll fine, I've been doin it for the last two years with no problems

z%20k%20member%20platee.jpg

z%20K%20member%20tail%20plate.jpg

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Ok, so if that part is so weak, and it is made to break away as shown, either crumple or tear off, that lifting the vehicle buy other than the K member well not hurt it? Those 4 bolts hold up all that front end weight, and so your telling me a part mad to bend and break, isn't going to do either when all that's holdin it up is 4 BOLTS??!!!! I'm still not convinced that a part made to break off isn't going to break off when it's the only part holding up the front end, I'm sorry, just doesn't make sense.

paluka21

Established Member
Ok, so if that part is so weak, and it is made to break away as shown, either crumple or tear off, that lifting the vehicle buy other than the K member well not hurt it? Those 4 bolts hold up all that front end weight, and so your telling me a part mad to bend and break, isn't going to do either when all that's holdin it up is 4 BOLTS??!!!! I'm still not convinced that a part made to break off isn't going to break off when it's the only part holding up the front end, I'm sorry, just doesn't make sense.

Well, it's your car, so keep jacking it up by those points if you're comfortable with it.

C0bra99

Established Member

Its not the bolts and the K member that is weak it the design of the sheet metal around them that will deform. It's your car do what you wish but I won't be jacking up by those point at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread