Shocking results revealed: Boss IM vs Ported Stocker

pufferfish

Established Member
boy, the wheel and tire difference really muddy the waters. I assume the 19" wheels had drag radials? what was the tire height of each wheel and tire combo?

I think that the gt intake would have definitely faired better with different shift points. with the automatic's 1-2 gear spacing, you need to over-rev it before going into 2, but then limit the shift points after that to just under 7k. same is true for the boss intake, but since you get a flat power curve after 7k, it will make up for the shitty automatic gear spacing between 1-2 much better than the gt intake does.

4VFTW

Established Member
I think that the gt intake would have definitely faired better with different shift points. with the automatic's 1-2 gear spacing, you need to over-rev it before going into 2, but then limit the shift points after that to just under 7k. same is true for the boss intake, but since you get a flat power curve after 7k, it will make up for the shitty automatic gear spacing between 1-2 much better than the gt intake does.

I dont disagree and if I dont see an improvement with the ported Boss the stocker will get another shot at the title with a shift point revision.

pufferfish

Established Member
just the lightweight wheels on the torque deficient boss intake will make a good bit of difference. do you recall what you were shifting the boss intake at?

also, I think its important to get the tire height for each combo on the table, as the difference (if any) will change the effective gear ratio.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
Start by stating - I have no experience at the track. So just random joe here, I'm not seeing anything that shows the Boss is a shocking result? .1 diff.. I'm so not trolling, or being smartass. Just want to understand.

04compgt

Established Member
Start by stating - I have no experience at the track. So just random joe here, I'm not seeing anything that shows the Boss is a shocking result? .1 diff.. I'm so not trolling, or being smartass. Just want to understand.

The wheels alone should net him .2 and 2 mph. So if he puts the boss back on he should see an improvement of .2 and 2 mph.

4VFTW

Established Member
its just a provocative thread title , there is nothing shocking in the results.

The wheels alone should net him .2 and 2 mph. So if he puts the boss back on he should see an improvement of .2 and 2 mph.

.2 and 2mph from a 50lb weight reduction?

pufferfish

Established Member
aluminum driveshafts are known to cut .2 seconds and they weigh about 20lbs less than the stockers. rotating mass has a large impact on timeslips.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
aluminum driveshafts are known to cut .2 seconds and they weigh about 20lbs less than the stockers. rotating mass has a large impact on timeslips.

You have results backing that claim up? Ive seen back to back testing with less then a .1 difference in an alumunium driveshaft.

4VFTW

Established Member

.2 from an aluminum shaft is highly optimistic and the performance gained from rotational mass vs static mass is at the absolute best 2:1 and this would be assuming all the weight reduction was on the outside radius of the rotating object. so at an impossible best the SVE wheels would net me approximately .1 and 1mph.

pufferfish

Established Member
I am not a drag racer, so no I don't, but this claim comes from JPC, Lethal and a few other places that sell the driveshafts. you are the first person I have seen that didn't agree with the claims?

pufferfish

Established Member
Most likely because I do not sell driveshafts.

you got me there!

I didn't intend to start a pissing match, so maybe I need to retract my statement about what I heard to be true about driveshafts.

but, as a road course racer, I can tell you there is much to be gained by lightening the wheels. the effective ratio on sprung to unsprung weight is between 5:1 and 7:1, depending how far away from the hub the weight loss is. a driveshaft is only going to have a ratio of 1:1, since it is sprung, but reducing inertia in the rotating mass DEFINITELY has acceleration gains. and if you can get the engine up through the revs faster, you are accelerating faster and less weight will allow the wheel torque to obtain a higher mph with everything else being equal.

i would not be at all surprised to see a 50lb unsprung weight reduction achieve .2 and 2mph better, although i am also assuming your 50lb lighter "Drag wheel" setup includes skinnys up front which will reduce rolling resistance.

4VFTW

Established Member
Dont port that Boss too much!!!

its 95% done , but I dont know if I can make the track tomorrow. My wife is going to blow an o-ring if I dont do some work on the backyard fence on my days off... 2 trips to the track instead probably wont amuse her.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
its 95% done , but I dont know if I can make the track tomorrow. My wife is going to blow an o-ring if I dont do some work on the backyard fence on my days off... 2 trips to the track instead probably wont amuse her.

F the backyard fence! O-rings can be replaced! lol

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Guess I too don't know what the fuss is all about. Shaun @ AED has only logged 1 mph and .1 ET between both intakes.

I just need to install one on my car with current setup, revised tune, to see what the real difference is.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Is there a write-up thread on how to port your Boss IM? Also, would a new tune be recommended?

pufferfish

Established Member
Standing by for the results!

I am hoping the weather holds off tonight so I can do a similar comparison. 2 weeks ago, I ran my gt intake for a 12.266@119 and have my boss intake on and ready to go for its run. I think it might do better if for no other reason than the gt intake produces so much mid-range torque, my stupid street tires couldn't maintain traction until the back half of the track.

Users who are viewing this thread