SHO or SVTC?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ryan:

You've seen my SHO before. But here's a photo for everyone else. (now with my new master cylinder and my brake pedal back, finally!!!) :)

45shosmall-med.jpg

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Upgrades are, Hi-flo "Y" pipe with hi-flo cats, Dyno-Max cat back, K&N air filter w/silencer removed, rod shifter, '96 SHO front brake upgrade, 16" slicers and aftermarket stereo w/cd player.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
All those WI winters and still looks that good?

I dont' remember seeing it, I was thinking you had a maroon SHO :p

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by RTStabler51
All those WI winters and still looks that good?

I dont' remember seeing it, I was thinking you had a maroon SHO :p

Ziebart has saved her butt quite a bit. I did have to repair the metal inserts in the lower door cladding. And like I say, I'm always working on the car. As a matter of fact, I work on the car now more than I drive it! How sad is that?!?! ;-)

But, as we all know, these cars are VERY special and I really can't see ever parting with it? The Ricers hate me 'cause I kick the crap out of them. :lol:

Last edited:

The BigSHO

Established Member
I have had three CSVTs and two MTX SHOs. I still own a 92 SHO. I'd take a CSVT over any SHO. The CSVT is a better package all around then the SHO...

I'll be getting another CSVT. I'm having withdrawal:)

ZX2Down

Established Member
smaller, better handeling only minorly slower, over all the CSVT seems to be a better car, but Im a taurus fan i;d be hard pressed to decide the svt or the v6 sho. it would ultimatly come down to which has less ware and which i find more fun to drive.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
think about maintenance costs and parts availablity as well....one of the big reasons I probably won't ever buy another SHO.

Originally posted by ZX2Down
smaller, better handeling only minorly slower, over all the CSVT seems to be a better car, but Im a taurus fan i;d be hard pressed to decide the svt or the v6 sho. it would ultimatly come down to which has less ware and which i find more fun to drive.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
89s are suppose to be the fastest. In reality, or so it seems, 92s have been the fastest..

SHOKYLE1 said:
If It Was My Decision First Would Be 89 Sho Fastes Sho Made 6.7 0-60 Then
The Csvt Last The V8 Sho.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Not that the original poster is reading this, I'd go with the CSVT over the V8 SHO anyday. The CSVT is quicker, handles better, stops better, gets better gas mileage and looks much better IMO. Plus, you wont have to deal with the potential nightmare of finding a new V8 if the cams would fail.

dannymetro

As a daily driver, I would go with a standard Contour or a Taurus. For a drivers car, I would go with the SVT Countour, for a larger sedan that can haul the family with some comfort, has a sweet rumble once you change the mufflers, I would go with the SHO if the cams have been welded.

Daniel

98 SHO
91 Spirit R/T

justin99

Established Member
i own both. 99 csvt and a 97 SHO. i would choose the csvt anyday over the SHO. stock for stock the contour was always quicker in a straight line race. depending on the driver. but as for everything else the SHO cant get near the contour

fiveofanatic

Established Member
Our '97 SHO has been a perfect family hauler for us. We bought it in late '00 with 50,000+ on it, it now has 110,000+ on it. There have been no surprise repiars except for the a/c compressor clutch that got replaced yesterday. I took my vacation time last year & replaced the front subframe bushings, front swaybar bushings, front & rear struts w/mounts, engine & tranny mounts, plugs, hoses, & belts. I wanted to get it ready for about two more years as my wife's driver, & I expect that will not be a problem. No coil pack problems, no cam problems. I don't treat it like a race car; I have a Mustang & a Cobra for that. :D I feel that is where most of the cam complaints come from, though I know it's denied.

Our old '90 SHO was quicker, but much less reliable; seems like I was constantly fixing that car. It was fun, but couldn't be trusted.

If I were a single guy & wanted a FWD four-door, I'd go SVTC. If I weren't able to buy parts at cost & work on them myself, I'd buy a Toyota or Honda. :p

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Your driving a possible time bomb. I'd spend the $$$ and get the cams welded...

fiveofanatic said:
Our '97 SHO has been a perfect family hauler for us. We bought it in late '00 with 50,000+ on it, it now has 110,000+ on it.

M SIX

Go Big or Go Home
Established Member
Between the two I would choose the SVTC. I drove both cars back to back and the SVTC is much lighter on its feet. If you decide to get a SHO dont get the 32Valve (96 and up) because their pigs.

03reptile

Established Member
I've owned both. Still have a 96 SHO with 125K on the clock. Have had the trans replaced at 70K and they put a Econoline truck trans fluid cooler in place of the stock one which is way too small. Most SHO trans issues are heat related due to poor cooling. I also had the cams welded to eliminate future spins. It's been a great car, otherwise, and have only replaced one coil pack. I also had a 99 CSVT and gave it to my daughter at 17K. Its now got 60K and has had no issues so far. It's more fun to drive, but for a daily commuter in traffic, I'll take the comfort that the SHO affords me. I hope this helps some. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses but it's up to you as to what you want. I now have a 03 Cobra, since new, and will be getting a GT500 when they are available for order. It never stops!!

Users who are viewing this thread