SHO or SVTC?

beastud

Should've been a cowboy
Established Member
I am currently looking for a daily driver to keep the miles down on my Cobra and have been debating between an SVT Contour or a 96-99 Taurus SHO. I have never driven either and would like to hear some pros and cons to each. Stick vs manual is not really a big issue for me so I was just curious about which is a better engine the 3.4L V8 or the 2.5L V6 and also which is more fun to drive. Any insight would be very helpful.

99V8SHO

Established Member
The SHO wins the straight line race, but the 'Tour will win the corners, stock for stock. The tranny on the SHO sucks. The 3.4 V8 is based off the 2.5 V6. If you are looking for fun then you should go with the 'Tour as it does have a manual tranny and from what I hear (don't quote me on this) is pretty easy to mod.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Neither.

The 96-99 SHOs have the cam failure issue and are known to be doggish and unreliable. The coil packs have also been known to be faulty and have fried complete wiring harnesses. The Transaxle is also notoriously weak. The resale value is also a joke.

Check out www.v8SHO.com and SHOforum.com for more info

The CSVT is a cool, peppy little car, but unless you plan on installing a quaife LSD differential, i wouldn't go for it.

check out www.contour.org for more info.

I have driven both, an dlike both very much, but for a reliable daily driver, i would explore other options.

beastud

Should've been a cowboy
Established Member
Any ideas on something reliable to drive on a daily basis that I could get for about the same price?

The BigSHO

Established Member
No...

I think the CSVT is bang the best for the buck out there in the used market. All in all, the CSVT is the better car. Recently I saw a 99 with 40K miles go for $4K.

Like the SHO, the CSVT doesn't hold its value worth a darn. Its a buyer's market for sure...

If you want a reasonably quick car that handles great, the CSVT is your car. I would keep it stock. The CSVT, like the SHO, doesn't respond well to mods. Bang for the buck is not there. The only mod I'd do is the metal impellar waterpump. Keep the oil at six quarts.

Great little car = CSVT

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
I owned a 98 SHO and it was crap. I did no mods - just used it as a daily normal driver. The transmission went, the A/C exploded, the steering colum had to be replaced and a buch of other stuff that I've blocked from my memory.

I'd recomend a regular Taurus B4 a SHO

beastud

Should've been a cowboy
Established Member
Where did you see one for that cheap? Something with comparable mileage around here goes for around $7500.

Sport The War

Established Member
go out and get a 5.0 HO T-bird they're alot better for a daily driver then a SHO, i've have a few and i've had a few T-birds, always treated me well. and on the sho's responding to mods well is kinda/sorta right.. there are diagrams how to make the motor the way yamaha did before motocrap tampered with it. 670HP 694TQ

SHOspazz92

Established Member
Originally posted by Sport The War
go out and get a 5.0 HO T-bird they're alot better for a daily driver then a SHO, i've have a few and i've had a few T-birds, always treated me well. and on the sho's responding to mods well is kinda/sorta right.. there are diagrams how to make the motor the way yamaha did before motocrap tampered with it. 670HP 694TQ

On what grounds are they a better Daily driver?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
REally? Where? :rolleyes:
there are diagrams how to make the motor the way yamaha did before motocrap tampered with it. 670HP 694TQ

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
seen and read about are two different things. I don't think anyone besides the Yamaha engineers have actually SEEN the original blueprints for hte original motor.

you guys have never seen the original blueprinted SHO motor?!

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
CSVT. SHO parts cost upwards of 3 times that of a regular Taurus.

example: New NAPA water pump non SHO - $32.29
" " " " SHO - $207.99

DOH!

bigslim

Established Member
I had a 97 SHO. It was a pig. Slow for a V8 powered car. It also had tranny problems and the fuel was replaced. It had some other troubles too. I would go for the CSVT. Probably more reliable than the SHO. As stated earlier the SHOs had a camshaft problem that Ford will not take responsiblity for.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
IMHO you could find better cars than a SHO for a driver? That is unless you like working on your car a lot?

Don't get me wrong, I bought my '89 SHO new and I love it. But, it requires about twice the maintenance of a "normal" car. It's worth it to me because the car is so "special". But it may not be worth it to you? You have to make that decision?

Good luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Hey Bruce, post pics of your SHO, I don't think I've ever seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread