shifting...

2003bluecobra

Established Member
hey i am having problems speed shifting the cobra.. i had a 2001 ws6 and u can speed shift it very easy.. but with the cobra its really hard.. and third gear is a bitch to get into fast without missing it.. lol any advice. :cryying:

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
I good technique I read on here is to use your open palm on the back of the shift knob, and just push forward. Don't try to guide the stick, let the shifter do the work. I tried it and it works.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Trix-Ax is helps me out alot. Just like SonicVenum said let the shifter guide it self while u just push up it into 3rd.

U really got to take notes of ur runs & make a various changed in the RPM to see which netted u the best ETA. Keep forgetting to do that my self :bash: but if i would i should help me out to get lower times.

So 1 run shift at 6200rpm on 1st to 2nd.
2nd to 3rd shift @ 6500rpm.

On 2nd Run shift @ 6300rpm on 1st to 2nd.

So on & so on till u can see what is netting u the good times. :beer:

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
I good technique I read on here is to use your open palm on the back of the shift knob, and just push forward. Don't try to guide the stick, let the shifter do the work. I tried it and it works.

I too do this and never missed third.

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003bluecobra
hey i am having problems speed shifting the cobra.. i had a 2001 ws6 and u can speed shift it very easy.. but with the cobra its really hard.. and third gear is a bitch to get into fast without missing it.. lol any advice. :cryying:

I couldn't make a fast shift to save my a$$ either, until I put an aftermarket clutch quardrant and firewall adjuster on. I adjusted it so that the clutch engages at the top of the pedal, not the last 1/8 inch (at least it seemed before). I (knock on wood) haven't missed a 2-3 shift since.... IMO it's one of the best mods I've done yet....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: Re: shifting...

Originally posted by Fast01Cobra
I couldn't make a fast shift to save my a$$ either, until I put an aftermarket clutch quardrant and firewall adjuster on. I adjusted it so that the clutch engages at the top of the pedal, not the last 1/8 inch (at least it seemed before). I (knock on wood) haven't missed a 2-3 shift since.... IMO it's one of the best mods I've done yet....
Since installing my TriAx I haven't missed a shift to 3rd that I can remember. I haven't had to do the palm forward shift method but I heard it works great.

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
Anyone try this method on their old lady? "don't guide the stick, let the shifter do the work" :D

Originally posted by SonicVenum

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: shifting...

Originally posted by CobraBob
Since installing my TriAx I haven't missed a shift to 3rd that I can remember. I haven't had to do the palm forward shift method but I heard it works great.
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how was it?

XFIRECHIEF

Established Member
I just installed a Pro 5.0 myself. Took about 3/4 hr. and I'm not the fastest around. Its very easy, just followed the directions that came with it. What a world of difference from the stock. Well worth the cost.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003bluecobra

Some of this is getting used to the timing with the leg....
The clutch on this car grabs so low to the flow it is tuff not to engage the clutch before the gear is selected. I simply cannot power shift this car at all. I could my 2001 Cobra, I can my Fairlane.. all day... but the '03 I miss the shift 80% of the time.

What shifter are you using? I have the Pro 5.0 and when going for third I more or less just use the heel of my hand and push forward.. don't attempt to guide it left or right.. just push forward... and it goes right into third everytime. If I am being lazy or try and aim for third I can often hit 5th.

Users who are viewing this thread