Shifting at the track?

Swetrid

Established Member
I am having serious issues at the track only when I install my MT Et streets. I originally had steeda shifter bracket installed and cannot shift the car into second gear at all. If I shift very slowly it will shift. I granny shifted my way to 12.63 at 111 mph stock which I wasn't happy with cause I know a 12.30-12.40 should be possible on good tires. If I put street tires back on it shifts flawlessly and managed 12.80 at 112 mph. I installed Steeda shifter and bracket and took it back to the track and continue to have the same problem. Anybody run into this concern? Its not grinding or anything its just like 2nd gear isn't there. Third gear is a little odd too but can manage that shift.

Last edited:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
JHR clutch line, remove brake fluid and add DOT 4 brake fluid , flush out trams mission fluid and add new 70-90 redline or you choose, and Shorten your burn out.....

Yea I have same issues and this should fix it....

atistang

Established Member
maybe try waiting a little longer before pulling out of first and going for second after you step on the clutch?

the fact that it does fine with street tires and not with slicks makes me think that our linkage is binding due to the engine torquing more

Swetrid

Established Member
Just an update for you guys. I installed a CHE limiter kit and it fixed all shift issues at the track. It was easy to install and didn't add any NVH. I believe new motor mounts are the real fix but this took care of my 1-2 blocked shift problem.

Swetrid

Established Member
I also put the stock shifter bracket back on too a couple of weeks ago but left the Steeda shifter. It seemed like the bracket just made shiting a little off at times. When I ran the car on drag radials or the stock tires the problem never surfaced, only on slicks.

twistedneck

Established Member
Just an update for you guys. I installed a CHE limiter kit and it fixed all shift issues at the track. It was easy to install and didn't add any NVH. I believe new motor mounts are the real fix but this took care of my 1-2 blocked shift problem.

Interesting, did it make your car easier to shift during other times also? if its true that one of the big issues with this car is flex between body mounted shifter and k-member mounted motor then this could be a double help.

i always wondered what the point of the stiffer shifter brackets are when thats just making the body flex the shifter even more relative to the transmission flexing.

the other fix for this was clutch related and somehow it would not disengage enough due to boiling fluid. so if you pump up the clutch to pressurize the system and increase the boiling point then the car shifted into second. others still added higher boiling point fluid.. i'm glad thats not the real root cause!

do you notice any other changes like stiffer handling?

Thanks!

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I also have the issue. I seems like once I installed a Barton bracket i got the 1-2 lockout on MT streets. Went back to stock,same thing. So switched out fluids, same issue. The I bought poly motor mounts and the MGW shifter but havent had a chance to test it out yet but I will next Friday.

Do you think I still need those torque limiters ? The mounts seem to work well but I still have a week to prepare if need be.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one with this problem nice to see you fixed it!

Last edited:

Swetrid

Established Member
I believe the motor mounts will solve your problem. I did the torque limiter setup because it was easy to install and remove. I did reinstall the stock shifter bracket before I put limiter setup on because I believe the bracket makes the problem worse.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have no experience with this car at the track, but with my mgw, dot 4 fluid motor mounts and clutch line my shifts feel great, and very little noise or vibs added.

Swetrid

Established Member
Interesting, did it make your car easier to shift during other times also? if its true that one of the big issues with this car is flex between body mounted shifter and k-member mounted motor then this could be a double help.

i always wondered what the point of the stiffer shifter brackets are when thats just making the body flex the shifter even more relative to the transmission flexing.

the other fix for this was clutch related and somehow it would not disengage enough due to boiling fluid. so if you pump up the clutch to pressurize the system and increase the boiling point then the car shifted into second. others still added higher boiling point fluid.. i'm glad thats not the real root cause!

Thanks!

I didn't really notice any handling difference since the install but im sure it only helps. I have never had any clutch concerns thank god but I knew it wasn't clutch because I could put stock tires right back on and run it with no problems. I just happened upon the CHE limiter by accident thru the net and looked like a nice piece. Im just so glad that I can finally get a problem free pass on the car with slicks!

Last edited:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member

Thanks!

Man I agree 100%!!!! Once I installed the Barton Bracket, here came the 1-2 miss..... Spot on man

This has been an ongoing issue with a lot of us with the M6 and Drag radials. The motor does flex badly if you get a great 60' and causes you NOT to get into 2nd gear. I was pulling 1.6-1.7 all day and no luck. My buddies were saying I was just missing the gear and it was all in my head. I let a buddy try it out and he got into gear and said it was me, BUT he also pulled a 2.2 60' which I pointed out so I knew it wasn't me.

I was told by a vendor to change out the fluids and pump the clutch before the run. Well it did NOT fix the 1-2 shift issue. I was about to give up on drag racing until someone mentioned the motor mounts as this seems to fix the problem, along with the CHE torque limiters.

This issue had to be addressed and I think we finally found the answer after countless hours under the car and about 1000 dollars in parts........Seriously I was about to sell my car or find another drag car!!!!

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Wonder how they would work if I left my Barton bracket in.

Should be just fine. Once the root cause of body twisting independent of the transmission is fixed, the bracket will still give you that tighter shift gate feeling and that is a plus IMO. i have the steeda bracket and the stiffer bushing.

CHE states on their site that that its a 2010 torque limiter - does that fit the 2011-2014? ARe there any other torque limiters out there that rival it?

Also what motor mounts do ya'll recommend? I see Steeda and JHR both have them.

terminal5

Established Member
The CHE limiters fit the 11+ but you have to cut-off one of the studs that holds the factory K-member brace on each side.

Prothane makes engine mounts too. I like the JHR's, decent price, adjustable, and supposed to have a good compromise with the eurethane hardness.

Users who are viewing this thread