shifting at 8k with boss manifold?

okc12silvergt

Established Member
this Guy on a coyote related fb page said he has the exact same setup as me boss Intake, full exhaust, tune, 3.31 gears and a 28 inch tall DR. He says he spun. His coyote car all the way to 8k rpm.at the track ran 11.8@118-119 with 3.31 gears and a 28 inch tall MT drag radial.he said he only shifted into 3rd gear. would that be ok on srock valve springs? I figure this ccould be one way to raise my low trap speed times besides going to a 3.73 gear. I just worry about driving on my daily wheels with 3.73's which are 26.2 inch tall tires (235/50/17).

PIKE5.0

Established Member
Hell no that's not ok, and ya he'll blow up real soon! Bryan you already spin too high for a stock valvetrain nonboss coyote. Matter of time!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
this Guy on a coyote related fb page said he has the exact same setup as me boss Intake, full exhaust, tune, 3.31 gears and a 28 inch tall DR. He says he spun. His coyote car all the way to 8k rpm.at the track ran 11.8@118-119 with 3.31 gears and a 28 inch tall MT drag radial.he said he only shifted into 3rd gear. would that be ok on srock valve springs? I figure this ccould be one way to raise my low trap speed times besides going to a 3.73 gear. I just worry about driving on my daily wheels with 3.73's which are 26.2 inch tall tires (235/50/17).

Just run 3rd gear out to 8K at the track, shift the others at 7500. At least that's what I did with my MT82 coyote with a boss manifold. Logged 17K miles with 0 issues on the stock Ford oil.

Hell no that's not ok, and ya he'll blow up real soon! Bryan you already spin too high for a stock valvetrain nonboss coyote. Matter of time!

See my above post. Not saying it wont eventually hurt it, but I never had an issue. On the street I shifted at 7500. Only time I took it to 8000 was running out 3rd at the track.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I wouldn't really call an 11.8 a great time, at least not to mod my car by. The tire and gear combo is horrible for low power n/a, I know I as I tried running the same but with stock manifold and ran the same on radials. Step down in tire size, or put in a gear. The car would either bog or spin on radials, Very hard to leave with that combo. Put a 26" tire on mine and went 11.6 in 2000da

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Even with the boss intake the motor is pretty much out of breath at 8k. With that said this season I will be pulling my stock intake to 76-7700 out the back door. I am not expecting any issues at all.

clean92lx

Established Member
Even with the boss intake the motor is pretty much out of breath at 8k. With that said this season I will be pulling my stock intake to 76-7700 out the back door. I am not expecting any issues at all.

Just curious, why are you planning on revving that high on stock intake? It stops making power at 6800 so revving that high is only gonna slow you down, unless there's some other reason behind why your doing it?

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Just curious, why are you planning on revving that high on stock intake? It stops making power at 6800 so revving that high is only gonna slow you down, unless there's some other reason behind why your doing it?

Actually dyno graphs that I have seen stop making power at 6500. My car has never been on a dyno. The reasoning is that it will accelerate harder in the middle of the track. Will see if it works. Don't fear the gear!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You need to either step up in tire size, or to a taller ratio. Almost 1000 RPM could give you a quicker time if you are in the powerband instead of way past the peak power.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
You need to either step up in tire size, or to a taller ratio. Almost 1000 RPM could give you a quicker time if you are in the powerband instead of way past the peak power.

I appreciate your concern about my race program. It has shown, not in my car but others have tested a lower numeric gear and it just makes the MPH go up. We have two gear ratios ready if one doesn't work the way we want it will go back. The basic goal is to get the car to accelerate harder in the first part of the track 330'. After that there really isn't much going on.

nosscort

Established Member
good luck with the shifting @8000 on a stock manifold.. your car will be in the 325-350 rwhp range and so far out of efficiency, it's a dumb concept and no reason to do so on the stock manifold!

nosscort

Established Member

Where did I say I was shifting a stock manifold at 8K?

Manifold or stock CAI? sounded like you were refering to the manifold! sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread