shifter vibration

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Whats up guys. I have driven numerous 5-speed Mustangs that when cold, the shifter kind of vibrates when going into gears, especially second. My cousins GT does it, my 03 GT used to do it, and my 01 cobra does it once in a while. All 3 cars have the Tremec TR3650 tranny. Is this a common problem with this transmission? Could this be a bad synchro? Or is it just that the tranny fluid isn't warmed up enough? Like I said, it only happens when the car is still warming up. What do you think it could be? Thanks.

Bite Me

Established Member
Mine vibrates all the damned time, but I am pretty sure thats from my motor mounts/tranny mounts being dead. Shifts like a charm even when I beat the shit out of it racing.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
If it bugs you a lot, you can pull the shifter off and replace that bushing in there (where the "ball" of the shifter fits in the "cup" of the shifter linkage).

Also you can get some cork gasket material and cut out a gasket to fit, put a thin coat of ultra black RTV on both sides and you're set!

cliesch22

Established Member
What about Bob's shifter gasket. Worked on my 3650. I also used some of the stock rubber bushings on the handle. The two bolts that bolt from handle to the base. There is the square rubber insulator from the factory.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
yea i've seen cobra bob's site and the gaskets look really nice, but I know what material they are (a slightly rubbery paper, used mostly for oil gaskets) and from my own testing and experience, the cork works better. Its more of a pain in the ass to cut for SURE, but you can buy it at your local parts store, cut it and install it for less than $10+shipping, just gotta spend your time :D

Worked wonders on my old 5.0 w/ Steeda Tri-Ax which vibrates a ton, and it was a night and day diff. Haven't done it on the Cobra, no need for the stocker IMO

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
yea i've seen cobra bob's site and the gaskets look really nice, but I know what material they are (a slightly rubbery paper, used mostly for oil gaskets) and from my own testing and experience, the cork works better. Its more of a pain in the ass to cut for SURE, but you can buy it at your local parts store, cut it and install it for less than $10+shipping, just gotta spend your time :D

Worked wonders on my old 5.0 w/ Steeda Tri-Ax which vibrates a ton, and it was a night and day diff. Haven't done it on the Cobra, no need for the stocker IMO

You know what material my gaskets are? And you say they are a slightly rubbery paper? Mostly used for "oil gaskets"? Talk about misinformation! Let's get it straight. You've obviously never seen my gasket because there is no way they could be mistaken for a "slightly rubbery paper". The material is high temperature silicone rubber! And you tested a cork gasket against my gasket? And you don't know what material they actually are? Wow! My silicone gasket is very effective and I would doubt a cork gasket will work better. Oh, and it doesn't cost $10.00 PLUS shipping. The set is $10.00 INCLUDING shipping. :dw:

For those interested in quieting a noisy shifter (noise from the gear case), try a set of my shifter gaskets (one base gasket and two handle gaskets). They're pre-cut for your shifter and easy to install. It is not worth your time to try to cut one yourself. Not when you can get it for only $10.00.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dan, the issue that you describe when going into 2nd gear when the car is cold is often referred to as "cold clash" and it is not uncommon with the TR3650 transmission. I found that there was a TSB (4-15-06) on the 2001-2004 Mustangs for this. Supposedly this cold clash issue was fixed by the TSB, but not in all cases according to some of the threads on other forums I've read. Some owners reported the issue going into 2nd gear even after the TSB was done. On some occasions a fluid change (Tremec revised the fill quantity/oil type over the years in the TR3650) helped, and supposedly it was fixed by the 2005 models.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Thanks Bob, I think you nailed the problem. You were the only one that actually knew what I was talking about. I will try a tranny fluid change. See if that helps. As long as I know there is nothing mechanically wrong, I'll rest easy. Thanks again, Danny.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Mine vibrates all the damned time, but I am pretty sure thats from my motor mounts/tranny mounts being dead. Shifts like a charm even when I beat the shit out of it racing.

same here!

vibrates all the time...i love banging the gears with the MGW though!

sadly i have only put 150-200 miles on the car this year

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hope this fixes your problem Danny. Have a great day! :thumbsup:

matt87

Established Member
Dan, you wont even notice this when its warmed up. it takes a little longer now that the cold air is here. in the summer i found that tranny/shifter smooth for a 3650. oh ya, you do have cobrabob's base gasket. i tried the gasket for the handle but even with loctite the screws kept coming loose so i removed it.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
You know what material my gaskets are? And you say they are a slightly rubbery paper? Mostly used for "oil gaskets"? Talk about misinformation! Let's get it straight. You've obviously never seen my gasket because there is no way they could be mistaken for a "slightly rubbery paper". The material is high temperature silicone rubber! And you tested a cork gasket against my gasket? And you don't know what material they actually are? Wow! My silicone gasket is very effective and I would doubt a cork gasket will work better. Oh, and it doesn't cost $10.00 PLUS shipping. The set is $10.00 INCLUDING shipping. :dw:

For those interested in quieting a noisy shifter (noise from the gear case), try a set of my shifter gaskets (one base gasket and two handle gaskets). They're pre-cut for your shifter and easy to install. It is not worth your time to try to cut one yourself. Not when you can get it for only $10.00.

I know you want to defend your product but sheesh man, bring it down a notch. All I said was what has worked for me and never did I say your product sucked or anything along this lines, so take a chill pill. And since you are coming at me from the angle of setting the facts straight, why not try a cork and see how it feels?

Users who are viewing this thread