Shifter removal

skyhighsd

Established Member
Ok I am putting in a pro 5.0 shifter and trying to get the stock one out right now. Does anyone know of a trick to getting the clip off of the drivers side on the stabilizer bar? I was able to get it off on the pass. side but I am fighting the drivers side. So I will have to let it sit until tomorrow I hate working on my car when it is pissing me off.
Thanks

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
Here is the easy solution....

Support the rear of the trans near the crossmember but NOT on it. Remove the 4 crossmember bolts and let the rear of the trans droop by lowering the supported rear of the trans. You can now get your hand up to release the clips easily.:thumbsup: Hermann

skyhighsd

Established Member
Support the rear of the trans near the crossmember but NOT on it. Remove the 4 crossmember bolts and let the rear of the trans droop by lowering the supported rear of the trans. You can now get your hand up to release the clips easily.:thumbsup: Hermann

Thanks for the info, thats what I ended up doing and the install went a hell of a lot easier:beer:

skyhighsd

Established Member
My Ford tech said the tranny does not need to be dropped?

I will tell you first hand unless you have tiny hands you are going to have to lowwer the trans. Once I did that it was no problem, there was just no way I could get my hand in there enough to release the clip.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
Unless you got elf sized hands i'd recomend you DROOP the trans

My Ford tech said the tranny does not need to be dropped?
Droop, not drop the trans. When you remove the 4 crossmember bolt it will allow the rear of the trans to lower, allowing easy access to the shifter assembly. This step only adds 2-5 minutes to the job, and saves alot of skin removal.:rockon: This is important to me since I do this every week!:thumbsup: Hermann:beer:

6-Speed

Established Member
I just ordered the FRPP shifter and thinking about installing it myself to save some $$.

So do you just let the tranny droop and hang without any support once you remove the cross-member and lower the jack?

Last edited:

skyhighsd

Established Member
I just ordered the FRPP shifter and thinking about installing it myself to save some $$.

So do you just let the tranny droop and hang without any support once you remove the cross-member and lower the jack?

Support the rear of the trans with the jack and then remove the four bolts that are in the trans cross member. Then lower the jack down until the trans rear of the trans stops drooping and give it alittle pump back up and you are good to go. I wouldnt leave it unsupported. You then will have enough room to get the clips off of the tabs on the trans.

6-Speed

Established Member
Thanks - I hear the lower gear shift lever bolt is a PITA to remove/install. Is there enough room to get a torque wrench in there?

chuckstang

Established Member
Do you need to remove the DS and mid pipe to DROOP the tranny or is there enough room not to?

Perhaps this is what my tech meant

skyhighsd

Established Member
Thanks - I hear the lower gear shift lever bolt is a PITA to remove/install. Is there enough room to get a torque wrench in there?
I didnt have to remove that bolt, the stock arm that goes to the trans stays when you replace it with a pro 5.0 unlike Fords short throw shifter. So I never tryed to get to that bolt, but it will be tight to get at.

Do you need to remove the DS and mid pipe to DROOP the tranny or is there enough room not to?

Perhaps this is what my tech meant

They tell you too, but I already have my ds out and was replacing it at the time. I would at least dissconnect it at the trans. As for the exhaust I was able to leave it in place, you could remove it but I am always looking for faster ways and had no issues with leaving it connected.

Users who are viewing this thread