Shifter Knob "Rookie Question"

Pure Vennom

Established Member
Does the Shifter Knob just screw off of the 03 Cobra shifter? If you take it off and put it back on will the shift pattern line up again? I was thinking of putting a MGW shifter knob on but was wontering if it is fairly easy? Also if I don't like it is the orginal reusable.

I know that this is a very elementary question for most of you guys but I have bought so many parts over time that just were not made to fit right and needed modification.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
The MGW knob I have has an allen screw to tighten it to where you want......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03snake
The MGW knob I have has an allen screw to tighten it to where you want......
Not sure if they made a change at some point buy the MGW handle actually has TWO allen screws to tighten after you make your adjustment.
:burnout:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Not sure if they made a change at some point buy the MGW handle actually has TWO allen screws to tighten after you make your adjustment.
:burnout:

He means the knob Bob. While the MGW "handle" has 2 screws, the MGW knobs have one screw to hold it in the position that you want (for logo orientation).

:beer:

mosconiac

Established Member
I like my Hurst knob, won't burn your hand when your car sits in the scorching sun. :)

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
Are you talking about a knob or handle? I thought you had knob questions, and, like 94SVT Coupe said...yes. If you're going to drop $35-40 for a new knob, do yourself a favor and drop another $35 for the MGW Shifter Handle...best money you can spend.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by Pure Vennom
Does the Shifter Knob just screw off of the 03 Cobra shifter? If you take it off and put it back on will the shift pattern line up again? I was thinking of putting a MGW shifter knob on but was wontering if it is fairly easy? Also if I don't like it is the orginal reusable.

I know that this is a very elementary question for most of you guys but I have bought so many parts over time that just were not made to fit right and needed modification.

which MGW knob were you considering?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I like the Hurst or B+M T-handles. I put a nut on first and after I have the handle lined up I tighten the nut against the handle to hold it in place. They were sold out of Ford ones at the speed shop so I'm still waiting to get one.:burnout:

On my old 5.0 I put a rubber washer in the shifter knob and it held in place better.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Petzuk
He means the knob Bob. While the MGW "handle" has 2 screws, the MGW knobs have one screw to hold it in the position that you want (for logo orientation).

:beer:
Ah! Never saw an MGW shift knob. And...I read the post wrong. Should have noticed it clearly stated a set screw for the KNOB. Thanks for the correction.
:beer: (back at you buddy)

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
or...

fd545f17.jpg

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
This thread reminded me that Winner's Circle should have a Mustang T-handle in by now, so I went and got one.

mosconiac

Established Member
Cobra'03: I got the Hurst knob thru Summit. It is for a....(drum roll)....GM T-56.

Unfortunatley that means it is not threaded properly for the Ford (read: puny) threads, but I just had to have that classic look.

I had a new shift rod made ($20 at the local machinist) for my MGW handle with the appropriate threads. Sounds a bit complicated, but as you know this is trivial work really.

Hurst is hedging on whether they will produce an equivalent knob for the Ford T-56.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread