Shifter install question?

kcsburk

Established Member
Hey, did any of you who changed your shifter out have the little plastic basket that goes around the ball on the bottom of the shifter? I have always had one on all the other mustangs I have owned but did not see one when I took the stock shifter off.

Thanks,
Chris

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
To my knowledge all T-56 trannies have that little plastic "basket" that is supposed to cover the ball. I believe it is blue. I know in the install instructions it states to be sure you reuse it and don't leave it on the stock shifter. It's easy to misplace due to its size.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I did not have one either. However, my sifter feels tight. IMO, if it should be there, the shifter would have some side to side play (mine doesn't, feels real tight).

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Thats a part of the tranny itself not the shifter. Maybe some 03's have the cup and some don't? :shrug: thats a new find!

Fanged03

Established Member
I had one, it came out with the stock shifter. I just moved it over to the Pro 5.0 and its always worked great.

Brent

kcsburk

Established Member
Thanks guys. I am going to go down to local Ford dealer and pick one up. I have excessive noise through my shifter which may be a direct result of the basket not being there.

kcsburk

Established Member
Last night I installed the stock handle onto the Pro 5.0 shifter and it cured all of the noise. There is not one peep out of that shifter now. However, the shifter now feels like it is in stock form again (Tall and with long strokes). I ordered the gaskets from CobraBob so will see if they work out. If not I am going to use a large block of rubber with the triax handle similar to the stock handle. I will just have to fabricate something up. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
kcsburk said:
Last night I installed the stock handle onto the Pro 5.0 shifter and it cured all of the noise. There is not one peep out of that shifter now. However, the shifter now feels like it is in stock form again (Tall and with long strokes). I ordered the gaskets from CobraBob so will see if they work out. If not I am going to use a large block of rubber with the triax handle similar to the stock handle. I will just have to fabricate something up. :thumbsup:
One of the reasons why your shifter is quieter with the stock handle is that you're using the large/thick stock insulator gasket. But it will also make your shifter feel a bit on the rubbery side. When you get my gasket set be sure to use the two shifter handle gaskets included. They are much thinner than the stock one and but work to insulate the noise. Start with one gasket and if necessary, use both. The result should be less noise with a more solid feel.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
if the little plastic "basket" stayed down in the transmission instead of on the shifter ball, you would have never seen it. some times they come out with the shifter, sometimes they dont.i would be willing to bet they all have it.

BNH4.6

Established Member
Mine didn't have it I looked it was not there. I got mine used and I know the person that had it before me had a shifter on it because there was very little sealant on the trans and it was scratched up like a razor had been on it. If you push my stock shifter to the right towards 5th-6th it will stay there sometimes and not spring back to center. However is you pull it towards 1st-2nd and let it go it will spring back to center. Also mine whines pretty loud in 6th at 75-80 could it be because I don't have that little cup?

Users who are viewing this thread