Shift-S3ctor Speed Events; My First Standing 1/2 Mile Race

Orionstang

Established Member
Didn't see a place for standing speed events, so hope this will do.
Anybody here ever run a Shift-S3ctor event? The good? The bad?

Just registered for Feb 28 at Coalinga Airport. It will be my first time running a standing 1/2 mile! Woohoo!!!:rolling:

02gt87

Established Member
Didn't see a place for standing speed events, so hope this will do.
Anybody here ever run a Shift-S3ctor event? The good? The bad?

Just registered for Feb 28 at Coalinga Airport. It will be my first time running a standing 1/2 mile! Woohoo!!!:rolling:

Interesting. Might see you there

Quik Z06

Established Member
I think it's a fun event. I've watched a couple times and the last time they did it in October at Coalinga I ran my V and a couple friends ran their bikes. The good...well, it's fun to get out there and just run your car as hard as you can. Not to mention you see a ton of exotics that you don't normally see at say a drag race. The bad...sometimes it can take a while to get your next pass in. They let bikes go to the front, so they can get a ton of passes in, but cars wait in line. Also, you kinda just run whoever you get lined up next to, it isn't broken down into hp classes. I ran a 1000 hp GTR and a 1300 hp Vette, looked like I wasn't even trying lol. My first run was against a Porsche Turbo which I was able to beat, but it was a close run (which made it fun) I won't be doing the Feb event but will most likely be there running in the late April event. I should have my cam, upper pulley etc done so I should be able to put up a much better fight. Another thing about Feb that I'd worry about is rain. Last year we went in April and it rained in the morning, luckily it cleared up by about 9:30 am and they were able to run. Keep us posted if you go.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

02gt87

Established Member
^^ $200 is steep for what sounds like less than 5 passes. Maybe I'll go spectate, besides I think I need a roll cage since I have a vert. -___-

Quik Z06

Established Member
^^ $200 is steep for what sounds like less than 5 passes. Maybe I'll go spectate, besides I think I need a roll cage since I have a vert. -___-

Nah, you can get a bunch of passes in, I'd say at least 10 if you wanted. I would run, then go hangout with my friends who were getting their bikes ready and I'd let the car cool down. Pretty sure you wouldn't need a cage either, they actually aren't that strict with their rules. There's lots of verts there, Porsches, Vette's etc and I didn't see any roll cages. You may want to go once as a spectator to see what it's like and get a feel for it. I know I had fun as a driver and can't wait until the end of April to go again. Lol, just sucks making close to 700whp and being the "slow one" out there!

racebronco2

Established Member
I ran with them several times. What you do is set up races so you don't run against random cars. You just need to set it up before you line up so when the pregrid guy comes by just tell him who you want to race and he will line you up correctly. Yes in the beginning of the day it takes a while to run but later in the day cars break and people start going home after lunch. There was one guy whom would race anyone. I think he got in 15 runs. When i was there they did not have any bikes running.

Orionstang

Established Member
Thanks for all the input, guys. Ill be there for sure, its already paid for. Not really worried about what I race, can't be sad losing to a supercar LOL.

racebronco2

Established Member
Thanks for all the input, guys. Ill be there for sure, its already paid for. Not really worried about what I race, can't be sad losing to a supercar LOL.

To me it is more fun to race an equal car. It is no fun to get beat by 10 cars or to lose by 10 cars.

Quik Z06

Established Member
To me it is more fun to race an equal car. It is no fun to get beat by 10 cars or to lose by 10 cars.

I agree, lol! When I ran the GTR and Vette, I got killed by more than 10 cars. A couple friends of mine were like, "were you trying" lol, it was bad! Don't get me wrong, I know I don't have a 1/4 of the money they have in those cars but a close race is much funner!

Users who are viewing this thread