Shell Nitro+

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Has anyone tried this new more premium fuel from shell? I've looked and haven't found any tests that suggest its better than the standard 91 premium (its what we have in cali).

Could this be another marketing ploy from one of the big oil companies?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I really like Chevron's additive. A few turners I've talked to have mentioned that Shell fuel has given them issues with false knock.

I haven't tried it myself yet but I do use Shell 93 V power and it gives me the best mpg of all the fuels I've used. Citgo gives me 2nd best. BP 3rd.

Worst and I guess I shouldn't be surprised is the 93 I get at Costco. Nearly $0.46 cheaper than all the other brands here and gives me the worst fuel economy. I guestimate almost 1.5mpg less than all the other ones.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I mostly fill up at an independent station the offers EtOH free 93. It's not a lot more than the other stations and the EcoBoost cars really like it.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I just noticed the shell nitro + badge on my last fill up, wondered if it was new or just had never seen it before.

I run shell or bp only.

EDIT-don't the fuels come from the same place and they add the additives later? Who knows, I go to high volume stations as well so gas is fresh.

Last edited:

50blackout

Established Member
Around here premium is usually 20 cents higher than regular, but this new shell is 50 cents more than their regular. Also Shell gives me the worst mileage and performance. Not worth it over here....

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I mostly fill up at an independent station the offers EtOH free 93. It's not a lot more than the other stations and the EcoBoost cars really like it.

We have so few ethanol free 93 octane locations in the Pensacola, Florida area, I've seen prices on it anywhere between 1.00 to 1.50 more than E10 93 octane. It's ludicrous, not worth the efficiency gain.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I've only ran Shell 93 since I've had my car. It's the best thing that's close to me. Might have to find a Chevron until this new additive pack is shown to be OK. I'm not into being a guinea pig.

I just noticed the shell nitro + badge on my last fill up, wondered if it was new or just had never seen it before.

I run shell or bp only.

EDIT-don't the fuels come from the same place and they add the additives later? Who knows, I go to high volume stations as well so gas is fresh.

Interesting you post that buddy...for the first time I actually saw a Shell 93 V power badge glued or taped to the button I normally push.

And of course the non-English speaking attendant could not tell with any certainty if the Nitro brand was coming any time soon.

Its actually a challenge to find Shell stations, at least online, that can confirm they have the Nitro brand.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Did quick research. Currently Shell has some cars driving from NYC to LA, when they go to LA, they will be stopping to Jay Leno Garage. Hopefully he gets more details out of them as their website only says reduce gunk, wear and up protection in one form or another.

Apparently BMW is also stating to use it exclusively in their M cars.

I am hoping the addtivies are there to primarily protect against Ethanol, that would be my best guess.

5. How was new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline tested?

We test our formulations in industry standard laboratory procedures and bench engines, and in a range of popular vehicles found on the road today. We have clocked more than half a million equivalent miles of testing, which includes various conventional and modern vehicles, such as those equipped with turbo-chargers, direct-fuel injection, and flex-fuel vehicles.

7. What makes Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline different than other Shell grades?

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power now contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation contains an innovative combination of two key cleaning agents that work together in harmony to provide the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get. It provides unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear.

http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-for-motorists/fuels/vpower/faq.html

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Guess I'm stuck with it, nearest Chevron station is 20 minutes away. Mostly Marathon around me and I've never heard anything great about their fuels

Weslsew

Established Member
I only use shell 93 and I noticed the new badges on the pumps here about a month ago. I can't tell any difference. I mostly just use the shell by my house cause it is one of the few stations left with a dedicated hose for 93 instead of a shared one. 93 is .60 more than regular here

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I only use shell 93 and I noticed the new badges on the pumps here about a month ago. I can't tell any difference. I mostly just use the shell by my house cause it is one of the few stations left with a dedicated hose for 93 instead of a shared one. 93 is .60 more than regular here

No dedicated nozzles left around here, but I always buy at least 12 gallons, so I guess it helps to even it out. I ran through a tank of this new stuff this weekend and so far so good. Still wish I had a Chevron close instead though.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Down here they do. I work at a shell station. I asked the owner. He said they add the additives depending on where the truck is going deliver the fuel.

The only thing i dont like about shell fuels is it has 10% ethanol. I get about 2mph less in my daily with it.

Users who are viewing this thread