Shelby GT500 pix (guy in my town)

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
It sounded mean as hell....I cant remember what he had in there.....I wanna say a 454 but that could be another car Im thinking of......It was mean as hell....he never really got on it because he said his torque was ridiculous and he got loose to easy.....We didnt roll around together too long......It was very clean though...wish the damn pix came out better.....JT

drod

Established Member
Could it be a 460 Ford Racing crate engine? If so, that car is a beast!!

69Cobrajet, what type of Wheels are on your Terminator? Those wheels are thight!!

Last edited:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
It is a small block Ford for sure. It more than likely is a 302, but you know it could be a 347 or any other variant. I would have to say it could also be a 351, but it is definately not a BB Ford of any kind. A 428 would be one bad ass motor to put in there, but finding one is an expensive proposition.

Bazuko

Established Member
it looks like the guy I raced on Plano, older guy , slim, white/grey hair?

I wont tell the outcome of the race

johnkn

Established Member
I find a few things curious about the car. 1) If it were a genuine GT500 in that condition it would no be worth $150k, not $100k. Yup, no Shelby American vin plate is installed, what I find interesting is that the car appears to have the correct Shelby rollbar with inerta shoulder straps bolted to the upper bar. Yea, someone may have installed them in a Mustang, these days, a complete correct rollbar setup like that would by $3000++. I am absolutely not knocking the car, it's what it is. I'd like to see it, am in Maryland and am familiar with the breed.

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
Bazuko said:
it looks like the guy I raced on Plano, older guy , slim, white/grey hair?

I wont tell the outcome of the race

Interesting....he was a slim 40ish guy....I beleive his hair was more blonde-brownish......I remember he did state it was a crate motor......this was awhile ago, I just got to posting the pix so I cant remember much of what he said.......sorry.....JT

johnkn

Established Member
drod said:
Nice car, but it's not a real Shelby. My brother has a car restoration shop in VA. He mainly works on muscle cars of the 60's era. He has worked on several Shelby 350's and 500. If that car was a real Shelby, then the guy made a big mistake by not restoring it to original condition. If it were a real Shelby, then that car would be worth 150k. I don't see the Shelby serial number badge in the engine compartment. The car has non-Shelby wheels and a create motor. The back of the car is 90% correct. I can continue to find things wrong or missing with it, but the car is still hot looking. I would not mind owning that car.

Drod, You said the back of the car was 90% correct, what is the 10% that is incorrect?

Why do you say it's not a real Shelby? Have you seen the car? What's the Ford VIN and/or SA VIN?

johnkn

Established Member
Whitten said:
It is a small block Ford for sure. It more than likely is a 302, but you know it could be a 347 or any other variant. I would have to say it could also be a 351, but it is definately not a BB Ford of any kind. A 428 would be one bad ass motor to put in there, but finding one is an expensive proposition.

The correct motor for a '67 GT500 is a 428 Police Interceptor motor with a 2x4 intake system, an alumimun Ford 427 Low Riser intake with a pair of Holley 650 (actually 652) carbs. Standard 428 motors and 428 PI are pretty readily available and shared by a number of other Ford cars (but not the 2x4 induction system). More costly is the 428 CJ and SCJ introduced mid '68. They were not first available in a Shelby until mid '68 in the GT500KR abd laer 69/70 Shelby Models.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
That is some great info. You really have done your home work on those cars and I have to say I always love running across people who know a thing or two about these cars.

Here is a small picture of my two. I hope this small modest photo excites you as much as it did me to be able to get these two beatuies. I have a great family. I get to play with them, take them out for a stroll now and again, without the financial hassle. I get to enjoy these two without the worry of paying for a thing. They are a close family friend of mines cars, but it is my job and honor to take care of the cars, take them to shows, and to work on them on occasion as well as drive them.
dsc02978.jpg

I will try and get better pictures...some detail shots if you will. Both are 100 % real and in perfect shape. The GT-350 on the right is the world champ. It is 100 % original, and was signed off and retired by Carroll himself. If you have seen a red 66 Gt-350 in any magazine or book that is this car.

Users who are viewing this thread