Shelby GT500 brakes, rotors and shock recommendations PLEASE

Hurley711

Established Member
Hello everyone. I'm slowly upgrading parts on my garage queen a 2010 Shelby GT500 that only sees a few hundred to a thousand miles a year. I'm currently putting new tires on her right now as well as a windshield wiper fluid reservoir that was leaking and a TPMS that failed. Then she goes to sleep for the winter in November.

Next up in the spring I need new brakes
, rotors and shocks. I've been out of there daily driving game for several years and parts have been discontinued like the Duramax gold ceramic pads that I used and there are many different options now and I'm curious what's everyone's running and happy with. I'm open to all suggestions. I've read a lot about Power stop and the Z26 kit looks like a great performance package. I'd like to keep wheel dust to a minimum if possible .

As far as shocks go I don't road race or AutoX it's a weekend cruiser but I will get on it every once in awhile. I'm sure there are some better options than stock shocks and again I'm open to all suggestions.

As far as lowering, I remember hearing back in the day that lowering wasn't the best idea on Shelbys from 2010 is that a myth? I'm not a huge fan of the raked look I'd love to level the front and back but that's probably last on my list. Talk to me people! Thanks in advance!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Wilwood AERO6 Big Brake Front Brake Kit (2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Front Brake Kit Part No.: 140-10830-DR)

Wilwood AERO4 Big Brake Rear Parking Brake Kit (2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Rear Brake Kit Part No.: 140-10950-DR)

(Wilwood Disc Brakes

Bilstein

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Based on your usage.....KEEP IT SIMPLE

Here is my build and overhaul of my 2011, when it was stock. Mod list is in the first post, research what is relevant to your situation. If you have questions, feel free to ask

Cliffnotes:
Koni Yellows
Pro Kit Springs
BMR LCA and UCA, Panhard Bar

New rotors from Rotorpros.net (Zinc Coated)
Hawk Brake Pads

Good Oil, Amsoil

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I’m running Z26 pads on some powerslot rotors. Alongside orange konis, stock springs and sways, adj phb adj ucl adj lrc adjust relocate lcr bar all by BMR. It’s decent.

Hurley711

Established Member
Ever considered a 13/14 GT500?
Nah! I love my triple black vert I actually love the body and how aggressive it looks and I've owned it since 2015 and only drive it around 2000 miles a year. My everyday driver is a 2019 Bullitt and once I get tired of that I'll probably keep it as well and get the next gen of whatever limited Mustang is out in 4-5 years and DD that.

Hurley711

Established Member
Has anyone added the Roush wheel hop eliminator piece? Goes in behind the gas tank I believe. Supposed to eliminate all wheel hop with a better bushing.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Has anyone added the Roush wheel hop eliminator piece? Goes in behind the gas tank I believe. Supposed to eliminate all wheel hop with a better bushing.

The same as an Upper Control Arm and Upper Control Arm Bracket from like BMR

Anything will get rid of wheel hop as long its not OEM
(rubber vs poly vs spherical)

But to compliment it all, do all the rear suspension and procure good tires.

Nah! I love my triple black vert I actually love the body and how aggressive it looks and I've owned it since 2015 and only drive it around 2000 miles a year. My everyday driver is a 2019 Bullitt and once I get tired of that I'll probably keep it as well and get the next gen of whatever limited Mustang is out in 4-5 years and DD that.

Great approach. I will be adding a 350 or Mach 1 at some point to "dailyish" drive.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Go with a watts link you wont regret it.........

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
According to Maximum Motorsports, the Koni Yellows ride and handle better than the Bilsteins on the GT500.

Not normally a Koni fan, but am thinking of giving them a shot to replace my FRPP Tokicos.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Go with a watts link you wont regret it.........

Concur, give Jim Fay a call first and pick his brain he'll recommend the standard Fay's2 over the Shelby unit because of more adjustability. He manufactures both.

And if you can find a Roush UCA kit let me know, they appear to be discontinued.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Concur, give Jim Fay a call first and pick his brain he'll recommend the standard Fay's2 over the Shelby unit because of more adjustability. He manufactures both.

And if you can find a Roush UCA kit let me know, they appear to be discontinued.

Does it do anything for tire clesrqnce based on the axle movement vs panhard?

FirstTexan

Established Member
Who would spend $5000.00+ on brakes for a car that gets driven 2000 miles a year?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh, wait a second:oops:
The prices for rear 4 piston rear brakes is insane. Solid axle makes it more so. They are nice. But six pistons in the front, floating calipers in the rear is more than enough for most applications.. But the 4 pistons are real nice bling. I wish they had a kit to fit my old 4 piston Brembos on the rear.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
The prices for rear 4 piston rear brakes is insane. Solid axle makes it more so. They are nice. But six pistons in the front, floating calipers in the rear is more than enough for most applications.. But the 4 pistons are real nice bling. I wish they had a kit to fit my old 4 piston Brembos on the rear.

Shelby had a massive clearance sale a few months ago
a lot of us went in on complete kits Wilwood kits with Shelby Logo for $3500.00 +/- to the door

Users who are viewing this thread