Shelby GT350 Performance Specs

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
All I can say is very impressive out of a n/a motor...now put a s/c on it and wow, could be a 13-14gt500 and hellkitty killer!

What [streetable] supercharger is going to be able to keep up with an 8250 engine RPM? You might end up with some really good low to mid range power, but heat soak will set in after running through just one gear. Then all the fun is over. Why even bother?

Voltwings

Established Member
This motor is not built for boost at all, those trying to boost it are going to have a bad time...

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Regarding 700 whp 5.2's, when people start putting about $15-20k into them, they'll have that potential. It won't be very common, but max effort builds will get there.
This motor is not built for boost at all, those trying to boost it are going to have a bad time...
Meh - rebuild with lower static C/R, better rods, and a blower / turbos. Done. I've got a 2001 2V with 602 at the wheels - I can't believe it's going to be that hard to get these mills to well over that. Just won't be stock.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Meh - rebuild with lower static C/R, better rods, and a blower / turbos. Done. I've got a 2001 2V with 602 at the wheels - I can't believe it's going to be that hard to get these mills to well over that. Just won't be stock.

Why not just buy a GT500 and pulley it if that's your plan?

Voltwings

Established Member

Why not just buy a GT500 and pulley it if that's your plan?

^^ This. Why bother pulling the light weight, high compression rotating assembly out to put boost through it just because you want to? It'd be a Frankenstein car, but sure, with enough money you can do anything. I mean i can put 600 to the ground through a 1.6L Honda motor, butits hardly the best way to go about things?

If we're arguing purely conceptual, sure, go for it. For practicality sake though, it just doesnt make much sense?

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I Lol at comments implying that 430 lb ft of torque isn't very much. How much torque did the big 6.2 in the raptor make?! 'Enough said.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I actually went and looked it up since i didnt know: 434 @ 4500 rpms ...

Holy shit.

That really just put that into perspective for this engine, it makes 429 @ 4750. It does a nice job of carrying it too!

I want to drive one!

powerwhee

Established Member
What would be interesting, and I wonder if it's possible or even beneficial, is if the aftermarket came out with a new intake manifold with electronic runners that adjust from high to low like Ferrari has in their 458, to keep the torque spread fat, but let the engine rev to 9 grand and build power.

Voltwings

Established Member
The amount of R&D needed for something like that would have it cost a few thousand dollars... I imagine you could ballpark the resonance with some basic math, but thats still a tall order to bring in at a reasonable price point.

powerwhee

Established Member
The amount of R&D needed for something like that would have it cost a few thousand dollars... I imagine you could ballpark the resonance with some basic math, but thats still a tall order to bring in at a reasonable price point.

Yea I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, but if there were huge gains to be had that would be something interesting I think. Either way this is one amazing engine especially for the price. I really want to see some instrumented tests.

kino

Established Member
Love to see what a cobrajet intake would do. This is car is begging for an intake manifold and a set of long tube headers.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Love to see what a cobrajet intake would do. This is car is begging for an intake manifold and a set of long tube headers.

Some nice equal length headers and a short runner with the related bolt ons and fuel/spark etc mods will be a great combo. For about $5-7500, these mills will pickup about 100whp na.

It's really impressive what equal length headers do to a flat plane crank engine. Delete the cats, dyno tune it, and top it with a nice short runner and some 4.10's, and it'll be quite the machine power wise.

458's pick up 40-70whp from equal length headers and tuning. That's on a 4.5L mill already making 125hp/L just to shut the "us it's a Ferrari though" guys up before they start.

triso

Established Member
This car is all about balance.

I think if you want a lot of power you're better off waiting for the inevitable GT500. This 350 will be about the driving experience. Cornering, braking, linear fast high revving acceleration.

kino

Established Member
Some nice equal length headers and a short runner with the related bolt ons and fuel/spark etc mods will be a great combo. For about $5-7500, these mills will pickup about 100whp na.

It's really impressive what equal length headers do to a flat plane crank engine. Delete the cats, dyno tune it, and top it with a nice short runner and some 4.10's, and it'll be quite the machine power wise.

458's pick up 40-70whp from equal length headers and tuning. That's on a 4.5L mill already making 125hp/L just to shut the "us it's a Ferrari though" guys up before they start.

Exactly. Not everybody is a stock kind of guy. I think the hot ticket for this car is going to be a good short runner intake and a set equal headers. As some one mentioned earlier, the peak is similar to the coyote and we've all seen hot those motors react to a boss or cobra jet manifold. I would not be suprised if this motor responds far better to simple bolt ons than what we've seen on the coyote once tuners get a handle on it.

Voltwings

Established Member
Think about it though, The 5.0 with a boss or CJ goes from peaking at 6700 give or take to 7800. Assuming the voodoo responds the same, you'd basically be pushing the HP peak out to almost 9k rpm, and suffering the corresponding torque loss down low. I think the ticket to this engine is sticking with the fat powerband and avoiding the short runner intakes. Especially seeing as how this manifold already significantly out flows both Boss and CJ manifolds.

gq916

Established Member
IF I bought this car I would leave it mostly stock. Definitely not messing with a shortrunner intake unless ford built one.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It'll be a definite collectable 40 years from now, and it's probably smartest to leave it stock.

That said, the gear head in me wants to see 600whp na from a ~5L modular ford even if it's 9,000rpm and needs 4.88's to stay in the meat.

Mm&ff built a project 4v modular that ran 4.88's, stage 3 cams from the late 90's (out dated tech) and made about 400whp, ran 11's easy, and was an overall really impressive ride.

I think doing some similar mods to a gt350 wouldn't be sacralige. It might be unsavy, but I'd go for it if I had one. Live once so have a little fun IMO.

krt22

Established Member
It'll be a definite collectable 40 years from now, and it's probably smartest to leave it stock.

That said, the gear head in me wants to see 600whp na from a ~5L modular ford even if it's 9,000rpm and needs 4.88's to stay in the meat.

Mm&ff built a project 4v modular that ran 4.88's, stage 3 cams from the late 90's (out dated tech) and made about 400whp, ran 11's easy, and was an overall really impressive ride.

I think doing some similar mods to a gt350 wouldn't be sacralige. It might be unsavy, but I'd go for it if I had one. Live once so have a little fun IMO.

Just buy 2. One to store, one to experiment on, simple as that

Users who are viewing this thread