Shelby GT350 Performance Specs

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 Shelby GT350 Engine Featured.jpg
Hummingbird Heartbeat
Ford Performance details the 526hp Shelby GT350 engine
By Steve Turner
Photos by SID297, Tob, and courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Until now Ford has engaged in a lengthy performance burlesque with the upcoming 2015 Shelby GT350 and its R-model variant. From revealing its look to teasing its exhaust note, this months-long Shelby seduction held our interest. However, the information that kept us hanging on every online whisper is the revelation of the next-level S550’s performance specifications. Well, that day has arrived and the numbers are impressive.
Continue reading →

(Story updated with lots more photos and a couple of videos)

Attachments

• 0 Shelby GT350 5.2-liter Engine Featured.jpg
    0 Shelby GT350 5.2-liter Engine Featured.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,093

Voltwings

Established Member
i still think its crazy the power band looks like it does, while still using a long runner intake manifold ... amazing.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Peak RPM would probably be close to 10K with a short runner design! I'm sure that the overall performance is probably better like this though.

Voltwings

Established Member
Peak RPM would probably be close to 10K with a short runner design! I'm sure that the overall performance is probably better like this though.

i agree, the fatter mid range is more useable, but look at every other high rpm motor and they use a short runner. I wonder if that manifold bolts to a GT motor and what it would do to the power band... Granted, the firing order is so much different on that order it may very well just screw things up, but who knows.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
i agree, the fatter mid range is more useable, but look at every other high rpm motor and they use a short runner. I wonder if that manifold bolts to a GT motor and what it would do to the power band... Granted, the firing order is so much different on that order it may very well just screw things up, but who knows.

You know someone will come up with a short runner intake and tune just to see what it will do though. Haha!

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
It's interesting that even with the FPC the motors peak power is no higher rpm wise than the Boss coyote/road runner....

526hp is about the minimum I was hoping for. So I'm not overly impressed... Maybe I should be....

Last edited:

dynasty_365

Established Member
Now if we can just get the weight. Either way I can't wait to order mine. Trading my 12 in for it. I was hoping for a bit more hp but either way will b great

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
It's interesting that even with the FPC the motors peak power is no higher rpm wise than the Boss coyote/road runner....

526hp is about the minimum I was hoping for. So I'm not overly impressed... Maybe I should be....

Idk. I kinda feel the same way. I was hoping they were setting people up and it was going to near 600. Its a great engine but it sure seems like a shit ton of engineering to only make 20hp more than an ancient LS7.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
429lbs/ft of torque. That means it's just 52tq below the current ls7, or just 41tq below the original 505/470 ls7 of 2005.

For the hard facts? That a 25% (5.2 vs 7) smaller engine making 4% more peak power and only 8-10% less tq. Again it's a 25% smaller engine.

Also, pull the cats, run equal length headers, and have it custom dyno tuned to see 526whp (probably 550whp+) easily. I honestly expect the mill is under rated and we'll be seeing 460-475whp pretty regularly bone stock. I imagine full bolt on equal header cars with possibly a short(er) runner intake will make 600whp on e85.

That is cammed/head work full bolt on, tune, e85 ls7 territory.

Throw some nasty cams, a compression bump and head work at an already stouts 600whp voodoo and 650-675whp from a 5.2L at 9500rpm (ecu and fuel permitting, but hey they did 9500rpm with modulars in the 90's and 2000's in sanctioned racing all around the country so ya, it will be a reality. Hell, maybe even 10,000rpms+)

Credible sources? None. Just feel free to lament or discredit me now and then eat humble pie when it happens later.

Last edited:

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
All I can say is very impressive out of a n/a motor...now put a s/c on it and wow, could be a 13-14gt500 and hellkitty killer!

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
What displacement was the LS7...

Oh boy. Here we go...

Displacement or not fact is this engine has a TON more engineering behind it than that OLD pushrod. It's physically larger. Will cost a lot more and its very high strung and lacking the tq of the much more simpler pushrod.

Bottom line is hp & tq numbers. Would i take a 4.0 engine making 400hp over a 505hp 7.0L just for the sake of saying im making more hp per ci? Hell no. Give me the engine with more power.

Again. It's impressive to an extent but its not "OMGAWWD" impressive, yet. Im willing to bet ford could have developed a pushrod to match or surpass those numbers with a much cheaper R&D budget.

429lbs/ft of torque. That means it's just 52tq below the current ls7, or just 41tq below the original 505/470 ls7 of 2005.

For the hard facts? That a 25% (5.2 vs 7) smaller engine making 4% more peak power and only 8-10% less tq. Again it's a 25% smaller engine.

Also, pull the cats, run equal length headers, and have it custom dyno tuned to see 526whp (probably 550whp+) easily. I honestly expect the mill is under rated and we'll be seeing 460-475whp pretty regularly bone stock. I imagine full bolt on equal header cars with possibly a short(er) runner intake will make 600whp on e85.

That is cammed/head work full bolt on, tune, e85 ls7 territory.

Throw some nasty cams, a compression bump and head work at an already stouts 600whp voodoo and 650-675whp from a 5.2L at 9500rpm (ecu and fuel permitting, but hey they did 9500rpm with modulars in the 90's and 2000's in sanctioned racing all around the country so ya, it will be a reality. Hell, maybe even 10,000rpms+)

Credible sources? None. Just feel free to lament or discredit me now and then eat humble pie when it happens later.

If this becomes a reality then it'll be OMGAWWD impressive. Lol

Highly doubt we'll near 700rwhp 5.2's. Hope im wrong cause that'll be badass. Well if it can make more than 500rwtq lol

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Oh boy. Here we go...

Displacement or not fact is this engine has a TON more engineering behind it than that OLD pushrod. It's physically larger. Will cost a lot more and its very high strung and lacking the tq of the much more simpler pushrod.

Bottom line is hp & tq numbers. Would i take a 4.0 engine making 400hp over a 505hp 7.0L just for the sake of saying im making more hp per ci? Hell no. Give me the engine with more power.

Again. It's impressive to an extent but its not "OMGAWWD" impressive, yet. Im willing to bet ford could have developed a pushrod to match or surpass those numbers with a much cheaper R&D budget.

If this becomes a reality then it'll be OMGAWWD impressive. Lol

Highly doubt we'll near 700rwhp 5.2's. Hope im wrong cause that'll be badass. Well if it can make more than 500rwtq lol

Torque is a great thing. About 4-500lbs/ft is more than sufficient in a 35-3600 lbs vehicle. The 2007 z06 made 470 in a 3125lbs car. Many say it was boarder line nervous/too much for technical circuits. Too little torque is a problem as well, but we're talking about an engine making 7-8% more torque than the 2015 5.0's while utilized in a car that's 125-200lbs lighter, all while geared more aggressively. It will feel great.

Regarding 700 whp 5.2's, when people start putting about $15-20k into them, they'll have that potential. It won't be very common, but max effort builds will get there.

Company's are getting 650+ whp from 4.5L Ferrari stradale mills. Fpc's open up about 1500rpms that cross plane cranks really don't often see.

Also it was evident That there will be stages people take these engines through. Those 700whp builds I mentioned are obviously race team setups though. I said streetable, (ie dependable etc), 500-600whp voodoo's will be common enough with bolt ons, and with e85 and bolt on setups IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread