EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Shelby-GT350-Performance-Parts-Featured.jpg

Bettering the Best
Ford Performance Parts is developing a host of Shelby GT350 upgrades
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Ford Performance

Hopefully you enjoyed our in-depth look at the work that Ford Performance engineers put into developing the Shelby GT350’s efficient intake manifold. Via the use of computer-aided engineering, they were able to create a scroll-style intake that supports 526 horsepower in the GT350, fits under the stock hood, and makes for a great bolt-on upgrade for the Voodoo 5.2 engine’s 5.0-liter Coyote cousins.

In the process of researching the intake story with Ford Performance Parts engineer Dave Born, we discovered that the engineers at FPP have a few upgrades headed our way, including some larger throttle bodies to make the GT350 manifold even more effective. It turns out that these bigger throttle bodies aren’t all the factory’s hot-rodding division has in store for us. They actually have quite a few upgrades in development for owners of the Shelby GT350.

Yes, while some purists consider it perfect right off the dealer lot, there are many of us—we are looking at you SVTP readers—that might want even more performance out of the factory’s top-tier Mustang. For that group, we have a lot of good news…

As you may know, one of the first upgrades Ford Performance Parts offered was a rear seat upgrade kit for owners of Shelby GT350Rs that wanted space for more passengers. While that kit services a small niche, it’s great to know that there will soon be something for owners of standard-issue GT350s that don’t want any backseat drivers.

“We’ve got an exclusive backseat kit for the R customer that wants one that matches perfectly (M-63840-MS),” Dave said “And a rear-seat delete kit based off the R is coming soon.”

Another upgrade that just hit the Ford Performance Parts shelves is an oil separator kit that is made just for the GT350.

“We have just released air-oil separators for the GT350,” Dave said. “The passenger side works on all Coyote engines, while the driver’s side part is specific to the GT350.”

Keeping oil contamination out of the air path of the high-revving Voodoo engine is definitely a worthy cause for an upgrade, but it’s the other parts in development that really got our engines revving.

FPP engineers are considering suspension upgrades, but nothing is finalized there, but what is coming is a way for track rats to keep their non-Track Pack, non-R-model GT350s’ temperatures under control during extended track sessions.

“We have seen many of the customers that didn’t choose the Track Pack or the R are so excited about the performance of their cars that they are taking their base and Tech Pack cars to the track. Those cars do not have transmission and differential coolers and are able to get their temperatures to the limits pretty quickly,” Dave explained. “We are developing kits for these customers using the production parts or modified versions of the production parts to improve the cooling for these cars.”

That’s definitely great news for owners of pre-2017 GT350s, and for those that want to further hone the performance of these cars, FPP also has a more aggressive exhaust and a shorter shifting mechanism in the works.

“While the production dual-mode exhaust is really cool and sounds great, we are working on a more aggressive muffler with our partners at Borla,” Dave said. “These new parts will both look and sound great.”

With its exhaust in the open mode, the GT350 is already the best-sounding factory Mustang we’ve ever heard, so we can’t wait to hear what these new mufflers sound like. Along those lines, the factory shifter in these cars is pretty solid, but we could always go for quicker shifts.

“We are developing a revised short-throw shifter for the GT350 in a similar fashion to our 2015 GT shifter,” he said. “It provides increased feel with shorter throws for spirited driving. We are looking at a 17-percent reduction in throw, but that could change before it’s released.”

Speaking of changes, you may have wondered if the GT350 might receive a TracKey calibration upgrade like its Boss 302 and Mustang GT cousins did. While we don’t know exactly what this version will offer, it turns out that a more aggressive Ford Performance calibration is definitely in the works.

“…A version of TracKey is under development for GT350 that we are very excited about,” Dave said.

Naturally, if you are included to more performance offered by something called a TracKey, you might just be included to bolt on some sticky tires and head to the racetrack, which might be more than the stock halfshafts bargained for.

“Our very popular halfshaft upgrades for the new S550 platform required a minor revision to work with the revised suspension on the back of the GT350. Those parts will be available shortly,” he explained. “These parts (PN M-4130-MA for the pair) are a great upgrade for the drag racers using sticky tires at the track. And, they come with a lifetime warranty, so the racers can feel confident that they will really hold up to track abuse.”

So, Ford Performance Parts engineers are busy tweaking away to make the one of the best Mustangs ever built even better, and it will fun to see how these upgrades change the personality of the Shelby GT350.

1-Shelby-GT350-Performance-Parts.jpg

Ford Performance Parts has a lot of Shelby GT350 upgrade parts on the way, but one that’s available right now is the oil-separator kit specific to the Voodoo engine. With as much time as these 5.2-liter engines spin at high rpm, it’s a great idea to trap oil vapor before it contaminates the intake air and dilutes the octane of the fuel in the combustion chamber.

2-Shelby-GT350-Performance-Parts.jpg

As we recently told you, Ford Performance is developing two larger throttle bodies that will accentuate the performance of the GT350 intake manifold. The entry-level upgrade will be 92mm unit, while the more serious modders will want the 100mm unit. The former should sell for around $300 with the necessary adapter, while the latter will sell for around $700.

3-Shelby-GT350-Performance-Parts.jpg

The first upgrade that FPP made available for the GT350 crowd was a rear seat kit for GT350R owners that wanted more passenger space. However, performance-oriented owners of non-R-model GT350s can rejoice knowing that a rear-seat delete kit based on the R-model setup is on its way to the FPP product line.

4-Shelby-GT350-Performance-Parts.jpg

One of the most exciting parts on the way from Ford Performance Parts is a TracKey calibration like the one offered for the 2012-2013 Boss 302 (pictured). A more performance oriented calibration and looser reins on the AdvanceTrac seem like a great idea for this track-oriented stallion.

krt22

Established Member
Awesome! Looking forward to the RSD, tracKey, suspension tidbits, and maybe the FRPP exhaust

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Rear seat delete kit for ya, TOB. I asked about track key in Phoenix but they didn't want to talk about it

AZBOSS

Established Member
Rear seat delete kit for ya, TOB. I asked about track key in Phoenix but they didn't want to talk about it

I'm sure they are being more cautious about the release of the 350TK after the release debacle with the original key for the '12 B302.

arsenalrocks

Established Member
one of the reasons I like this site so much is b/c there are always well-written, accurate and technical articles. Instead of rumors and name calling, I can always find facts and solid info here.
Thanks again OP, now tech/base owners like me can sleep at night knowing offically, FP is working on my coolers.

Last edited:

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
very cool thank you for sharing and well written. Now I need to search the couch for 60K to buy my Ruby Red 17 GT350

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
As always Steve - good stuff. You do a great job of working with what you have available and I know in this case you had to dig as best you could. It's early in the aftermarket parts cycle for the GT350 but if this model is indeed going to be short-lived, momentum is going to have to start gaining quickly before budgets are earmarked elsewhere. My thoughts on what you've touched on and some of what hasn't...

Ford Racing Oil Separators

Initially, I was a bit disappointed that these came without a drain. Draining them by partially disassembling each unit isn't overly difficult as they are within reach and easily accessed. I have the FR separators for both sides and the quality is first rate. I had a couple of minor issues and was contacted by FR almost immediately. They took care of me and listened to what I felt was legitimate feedback. In fact, the engineer responsible for them wrote me a couple of times (in detail) as well. I went into detail and he responded to each and every point. I shared this portion of our conversation elsewhere and I'll quote it again here.

As for performance, you'll experience a couple of ounces of accumulation on the RH over ~5K miles of normal driving. The LH may stay dry. At the track, the LH will fill quicker than the RH due to hard cornering events and the
baffling within the camcovers.

Point being, it makes sense to use these on both sides. Great data from which to monitor accumulation.

Ford Racing GT350 Shifter

Having dissected the OEM TR3160 piece by piece, I came away disappointed. It matches the "airy" feel of the clutch pedal assist but is far from confidence inspiring, unless you are a fan of the way Toyota/Honda/Subaru/Nissan/etc shift mechanisms feel. I'm not. Ford Racing is in a tough spot here. They typically don't throw the baby out with the bath water and instead offer minor tweaks to the original equipment shifter mechanisms, such as small geometry changes, firmer bushings, etc. I'm fairly confident that will be the case here as well. The issue in this specific case (throw reduction) is that the OEM shifter doesn't have an overly long throw to begin with and substantial changes in throw only increase notchiness. Throw isn't the issue with the OEM unit but rather precision. The composite sphere/race at the pivot is a production-level compromise and the pendulum architecture lacks linearity. And once again, Ford Racing's hands will be tied. They have the engineering capability but aren't likely to start over from scratch, which is what this transmission, and this car, deserves. They really need to piggyback with an aftermarket shifter manufacturer on this one.

Ford Racing Rear Seat Delete

Sometimes screaming from the mountain tops works. Kudos to the individual that convinced the naysayers that this one was plausible, wherever you are. Not having this part is like having a cake without icing.

Ford Racing TracKey

Everybody is going to want this one, especially if there are there are torque gains to be found. Warranty concerns may hold back an unprecedented number when it comes to the Voodoo 5.2 versus the Boss/Coyote or the GT500 in 5.4/5.8 form. There is fear in the air that this powerplant is a time bomb when or if traditionally modified which leaves the door wide open for Ford Racing to take the lead. If the gains/improvements are indeed substantial, this should prove to be a great seller.

Ford Racing Throttle Bodies

As long as they don't further erode torque down low and they work with the aforementioned TracKey, these will sell very well.

Tough Sell?

Halfshaft upgrades are not cheap. While the Ford Racing pieces will undoubtedly be robust, the fact that the GT350's demographic may not frequent the drag strip as much as other Mustang models may make moving these off the shelves somewhat of a challenge. Then again, once the internet shares the first GT350 shaft failure from coast to coast, that motivation may change.

Any Muffler consideration for the GT350 is going to take a heck of an effort. The factory knocked the original exhaust system out of the park. If Ford Racing/Borla are able to pull it off I'd be duly impressed. I'm wondering if it were possible to do a third mode - stealth/quiet mode. That would definitely catch my attention.

Let's See It

Here's a few I'd like to see.

- Ford Racing/ARP front caliper to knuckle stud/nut kit. Frequent pad changes may encourage thread damage to the aluminum knuckles. A stud kit would make pad changes much quicker as well as more reliable.

- Carbon Fiber driveshaft kit. Yes, we were told that CF wasn't stiff enough for this specific application. These shafts were tested in pre-production models but ultimately they didn't make the cut. If anybody can pick up where Production left off, it's Ford Racing. I'd really like to see them take this one on and make it happen. So would plenty of other mod-hungry GT350 owners.

- Another wheel choice. A good looking, track worthy wheel in the same size/offset as the "R" wheel should be a no brainer.

- Ford Racing/ARP stud kit for the hubs/halfshafts. No more needs be said.

- Some at Ford Racing may balk about this one - a Sync/Nav upgrade using factory parts. Ford isn't going to do it. Ford Parts and Service isn't and neither is "Ford Accessories." Pull the parts, put them in a box with a set of directions, and make it happen. Whoever at Ford that says no to this one...I'd like his/her email and cellphone number so they can hear the hordes that are somehow either unworthy or don't exist.

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
oil separator and rear seat delete will be my first upgrades when I finally get my hands on a 350. along with resonator delete. only thing missing is a way to keep the exhaust flap open for cold starts.

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
oil separator and rear seat delete will be my first upgrades when I finally get my hands on a 350. along with resonator delete. only thing missing is a way to keep the exhaust flap open for cold starts.
I will be doing those mods too, as well as a CAI and tune.
In my Z06, you're able to pull a fuse that's connected to the exhaust flap and keeps it open all the time. That may be an option?

liter of cola

Established Member
I will be doing those mods too, as well as a CAI and tune.
In my Z06, you're able to pull a fuse that's connected to the exhaust flap and keeps it open all the time. That may be an option?

hopefully... now someone just needs to try it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wonder if they plan on using an electric pump for the transmission cooler? If the GT350 transmission is like the 2013-14 transmission, only the track option transmission is machined for an internal pump. If that is the case, are there inlet and outlet ports on the non track transmissions?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread