Shelby GT Mark-Up Pricing in TX

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I visited with the same dealer (Don Davis Ford) this weekend that I ordered my '03 Cobra from back in '02. I asked him how many Shelby GTs he was going to get. He stated they were going to get 4 of them and that all of them were going to be sold to the highest bidder. No orders for these cars were being accepted. He related a story to me of a gentleman that offered to pre-order/purchase 2 of them for 100K a piece. The dealership refused. Ridiculous...

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
It is sad.... Dealers are so fricken greedy when it comes to vehicles like this....

Even worse, after the newness wears off, there are going to be Shelby 500s sitting around on lots everywhere and dealers begging for invoice prices. There will be a few people that just have to have it right away and will pay a premium.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
If they turned down 100K for 2 cars it means they are expecting to get more than that via the "highest bidder" route. I don't like dealers more than anyone else but that's the freemarket system at work, not greed. Anyone who wouldn't do the same thing is leaving money on the table, not good business!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
People are crazy. The GT500 IMO will not even be worth the $40K price tag on the window. I can see dishing out about $38K for it, but that is about it.
These people paying these huge amounts do not realize that in less than a years time they will be selling at or below sticker. Sure one day 30 years from now if there is one that has about 10 miles on the clock it may bring in a chunk of change, but it is not likely.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My dad paid $56K to have the #6 ( I think ) 2002 T-bird. Now he will be luck to get $30-32 out of it, and it only has 2K miles on it. But if he ever decides to get rid of it I will take it off of his hands. That car has a lot of potential, and a blower slated for it's future.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
This same dealership has an 06 Titanium Ford GT that they currently have in the show room. They can't even sell it at sticker ($168K). The sales manager told me they had over $15K that they could negotiate with below sticker...

OmahaStang

Established Member
If that was true about the 100,000 a piece for the cars IMO they were dumb not to take it!! They are probably just trying to boost the interest to make people think they will be sold for a ton, to push up the future bids.

My personal beliefs are the prices will remain at the sticker price for the duration of the year. (no 'specials' etc)

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Hicompression said:
I visited with the same dealer (Don Davis Ford) this weekend that I ordered my '03 Cobra from back in '02. I asked him how many Shelby GTs he was going to get. He stated they were going to get 4 of them and that all of them were going to be sold to the highest bidder. No orders for these cars were being accepted. He related a story to me of a gentleman that offered to pre-order/purchase 2 of them for 100K a piece. The dealership refused. Ridiculous...

greedy dealers the reason why american cars are loosing against import sales
not to mention people and agencies always talk what is bad on american cars and good on japanese cars :bored:

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
booricua said:
greedy dealers the reason why american cars are loosing against import sales
not to mention people and agencies always talk what is bad on american cars and good on japanese cars :bored:

Umm....try to buy certian import cars right now. Selling for full sticker or above with waiting list. Some imports are great cars and some are not - it is what it is.

The free market rocks! - The dealer will take his "greedy' profits and buy something, hire someone, build something, or just blow it in Vegas - anyway about it it just gets recycled back into the economy. He is not taking money away from one of us "normal" people but from some other ignorant SOB with more money than brains.

These cars will be at or below sticker within 6 to 12 months.

I personally am going to wait and buy a low mileage one from one of those above mentioned persons for much less than sticker. They can take the loss for me anyday.

I would like to know if you got one for 37k drove it home and someone promptly offered you 50k for it would you sell? Hell no - because that would be greedy!

Not a flame but you just hit a nerve - I work with automobile dealership people everyday and most of them are just good and decent people - even the owners.

- Paul

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There will always be a few tards that will pay way above sticker. I suspect there will be alot of Shelby GT500s sitting on dealer lots if they mark them up. 03/04 cobras going for and under MSRP/invoice is still fresh in everyones minds.

ORLREDFIRE

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
No dissrespect, but the Tbird doesn't have a 6 letter name on it that has skyroketed anythign elses value that has it on it. SHELBY I tis my "opinion" that anything and everything that has his name on it--yes even the Daytona and the Omni's which already have climbed--will be a sound investment. Especially if ti is one of the last cars he is associated with. Hell it is my strong opinion that the Shelby CS1's ? will be worth alot as well. That car was hyped bigtime and the orig buyers IF they were to sell now would prob not do wel, but really think that those will do well. Again just my opinion.

It is my belief that the Shelby GT500 will go down a little after first couple of years but I think it will hold most likely better than just about ANY car bought int eh next two years. That alone is worth something to those that spend tens of thousands every couple years on cars. And yes many will say that they are idiots--but those same many have no idea how much $ those people have and perhaps to them $50k is what they will pay to have fun and look good doing it. Just my .02 Either way I think the car is great (I have owned 3 03 Cobras int eh last year and a half and an M3 inbetween--so yeah I have a problem lol) and I will be trying hard not to convinve myself to buy early and pay a higher price. I think i will be able to resist. The car's only downfall in my opinion is the weight. And thats a big one I know. But I feel that this car will be able to handle 550 easy at the wheels and do it with more comfort and poise and less squeeks and noise. That rhymed by the way! lol Its a pig I know---but I lika da pig. :)

HISSMAN said:
My dad paid $56K to have the #6 ( I think ) 2002 T-bird. Now he will be luck to get $30-32 out of it, and it only has 2K miles on it. But if he ever decides to get rid of it I will take it off of his hands. That car has a lot of potential, and a blower slated for it's future.

hoamskilet

Established Member
imswheel said:
I personally am going to wait and buy a low mileage one from one of those above mentioned persons for much less than sticker. They can take the loss for me anyday.

- Paul

Agreed. I want one really bad, but I won't buy one until my Expy is paid off (a year in july). So it works out well...I "can't" buy one until well after they've been out for awhile, and I'll just pick one up off some chump who figures out he couldn't afford it and the value has dropped. :pepper:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doesn't surprise me. When the '03 Cobra came out I talked to four area SVT dealers. Two were marking up the sticker and two decided not to. I bought mine from one of the latter two. And I would never buy a bloody thing from the first two greedy dealers. So be patient if you're wanting a GT500. Not all dealers will get stupid. Some just don't have that in their sales philosophy while others are known for what they are -- greedy sharks. :-(

pvteye

Established Member
he must not have any Power Lease customers then..
"PowerLease Option document will be mailed to you, giving
you an option to be "first in line" to order a next-generation model when it
becomes available. SVT will remind PowerLease Option Holders about
ordering opportunities roughly 4-6 months before the start of production.
Should you exercise your Option, you'll receive priority scheduling for producing
your new vehicle. In other words, when production of the 2006 SVT F-150
Lightning and 2007 SVT Mustang Cobra begins, orders from SVT PowerLease
Option Holders will be produced first."

Users who are viewing this thread