shave irs bolts or run wheel spacers

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
was wondering what the best setup is for installing 10.5 rims on the cobra. have read and learned that some shave the irs bolt down. was wondering how much to shave off and will i be able to get the bolt back out if need be? secondly i have a pair of 1/4 wheel spacers just laying around, would this be a good alternative to fitting my 10.5's. thanks guys!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I had to shave the bolt and run 1/4" spacers to fit my BFG 315's.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Neither, buy the button head IRS bots from MM and be done. They are less than $15.00 I believe and that is what I run with no problems.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
You may have to buy the bolts/Shave the current ones AND use the spacers, When I put on 315's with the new bolts i still had a rub(even though it was minor) and had to use the 1/4' spacer. Good luck.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Keep in mind, you may slightly rub when the suspension is hanging but once on the ground, it should be fine.

Dans02gt

Established Member
I have 10.5 with 295s on my 03 cobra and i am not rubbing, but if I go any wider they will rub. It depends on what size tire you use.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Wheel spacers. The button head bolts are known to strip out if you have to remove them. I'd shave the bolt head before the button head bolts. I ran spacers and that was all to run the 17x10.5's with BFG KD 315/35/17.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Keep in mind, you may slightly rub when the suspension is hanging but once on the ground, it should be fine.

I grinded down the bolt heads and ran 315s on 10.5" rims and still had rubbing when the suspension flexed like over hills and bumps (probably at speed, dunno). I looked at my tires the other day and can see a ring around the tire from when it's contacted that bolt. Not safe.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Wheel spacers. The button head bolts are known to strip out if you have to remove them. I'd shave the bolt head before the button head bolts. I ran spacers and that was all to run the 17x10.5's with BFG KD 315/35/17.

X2 on not using the button heads. I ground my IRS bolts and still had to use 1/4" spacers to clear my 315 Toyo DR's. They are considerably wider than the same sized Nittos.

69fb

Established Member
My buddy just installed the button head bolts but his 315's sumitomo's still rub.

Are you guys running teh 1/4" spacer without running longer studs?

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
MM bolts here with 315 Hoosiers and no rubbing unless the suspension is completely unloaded.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
im going to be putting the nitto 555r dr's on. if i were to grind down the bolt, how much do i need to grind down, and no i do not have longer wheel studs, so will i need those to run 1/4'' spacers?

Steve2050

Established Member
I ground down the bolts and had minimal rub when suspension is hanging. I had to remove those bolts in order to drop the IRS(cut springs). The bolts came off really easy.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
right on, i was able to just run the 1/4 wheel spacers and not have to grind down the irs bolt! i think i will order some through lethal just so i dont have to run spacers later on. thanks everybody for the help!

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Just finished installing the hex head bolts and they were a breeze. I was hesitant at first but the drivers side went in like a snap and then I did the passenger side when i got home from work tonight. No rubbing. Here's a couple of pics.

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04640.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

DSC04620.jpg

The reason I went with American Muscle is because I got my rims and tires there at the same time. Lethal did not have the 03 Cobra rims in 10.5 x 17 last time I e-mailed them.

Users who are viewing this thread