Shaker Pro owners - Share your config

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
There was a thread awhile back asking if the stereo upgrade was worth the money. Many people said it was not a good system and the sound was crap. I chose to order the upgrade because I didn't plan on adding any aftermarket stereo equipment. I thought surely the system would be better than my standard system on my 2003 Cobra (which I enjoyed just fine for 10 years).

Once I got my car and I had some time to listen to the system I was actually very surprised at just how poor it really did sound. I couldn't believe this could even be called an "Upgrade" and I was baffled how 10 years of stereo/speaker improvements couldn't produce something better than this. As I said before, I thought so long as the system was an improvement over my old Cobra I'd be happy with it. Unfortunately I didn't feel it was an improvement.

Now that I've had the car a few weeks I've had a little more time to tinker with the various items you can put your personal touch on. After sorting through the super important things like what color I want my ambient lighting to be ( :lol1: ), I moved on to the stereo. After tweaking a few things I wasn't really getting the results I was hoping for.

I was trying to set it up like I do most of my factory stereo systems but I found it just sounded worse so I just tried various different configurations until I finally got something I actually liked. Sound is something each of us will rate differently but I thought I'd just share what is working for me currently. I'm not saying this setup makes the stereo sound like a completely different system but it might pacify some of us who were unhappy with the way the stereo sounded from the factory. If you're unhappy with the way your system sounds, give this setup a try and see if it isn't an improvement for you. Best of luck!

Base = (+2) *Adj for music type*
Treble = (+5)
Balance = (0)
Fade = (-3) *Most Important*
Orientation = Driver Seat

I tweak the Base upon occasion depending on what sort of music I'm listening to and how loud I want to play it, but I mostly leave the other settings alone. It's not amazing, but at least now I can enjoy it. So if any of you guys have found other configurations that work for you, post them up! I now feel the stereo isn't as bad as I originally felt and I can say it fits my needs just fine. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

03outlaw

Established Member
I have to say I feel (hear) that there is no comparison between the 03 and the 13. I used to think my 03 sounded pretty damn good (and truthfully it does sound pretty good) however, when I get in my 03 now you can certainly tell a huge difference!

I think you are on to something with the settings...I am very pleased with the way it sounds. I'm 35, so I hope it's not old age :beer:. Toss in some Metallica Inter Sandman...it rocks!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I have to say I feel (hear) that there is no comparison between the 03 and the 13. I used to think my 03 sounded pretty damn good (and truthfully it does sound pretty good) however, when I get in my 03 now you can certainly tell a huge difference!

I think you are on to something with the settings...I am very pleased with the way it sounds. I'm 35, so I hope it's not old age :beer:. Toss in some Metallica Inter Sandman...it rocks!

Yeah, I wish I had paid more attention to what the settings were when I picked it up because it truly sounded horrid. Much better after some tinkering. What's yours set on?

03outlaw

Established Member
I will have to go check, shes tucked under the cover...but I believe I have it set like three dashes past midway on the base an four past on the treble. I may be one less dash then that on each. So about what you have it set at. Ill admit, I am not a pro when it comes to stereo systems, but I really like it. When I check my settings for sure I will post it up!

SteveWK

Established Member
I think the Shaker Pro blows. I have the treble turned all the way up and the base at zero (middle), and it still sounds muffled to me. I tried your settings with fade and it didn't seem to make much difference to me other than moving the sound forwards and backwards. I will be 50 years old this year and I know my hearing isn't the best, but the 50 dollar speakers attached to my TV sound better. I really was expecting more from this system and noticed its problems from day one. Am I going to replace the speakers? Don't know yet. To be honest I listen to the exhaust while I am hot rodding around and not much music.

I'm not trying to slam anyone who is happy with it. Gotta have that disclaimer on this forum. :)

Steve

Last edited:

smrtasp

Established Member
I had the shaker 1000 in my 08 and was really disappointed. I ended up putting in a high end pioneer nav unit and what a huge difference in sound. Same speakers and stock amps and just the head unit sound processing made a huge difference. I ordered my 13 without the shaker pro after hearing it in person. I'll go after market if I end up needing more sound for that price you can get a better sound.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I think the shaker pro should have cost half of what it does. With that said, I find it more than satisfying for my needs.

Bass= +1 or 2 depending
Treble= +2
Fade= 0
Balance= 0
Orientation= passenger ( this way I hear more of the car )

03outlaw

Established Member
Interesting topic to me still...I must be a complete tool when it comes to judging sound system's :shrug:. I will say it's like a lot of system's, song selection can make a huge difference. As far as it costing too much, maybe a few hundred given you can build a pretty good system for around 1k. All that said, the car should have came standard with the Pro.

I may totally change my opinion if/when I hear a 13 or 14 without the Shaker Pro system.

Steve,

Swing by sometime and we will adjust your settings and see if you change your view.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I think the Shaker Pro blows. I have the treble turned all the way up and the base at zero (middle), and it still sounds muffled to me. I tried your settings with fade and it didn't seem to make much difference to me other than moving the sound forwards and backwards. I will be 50 years old this year and I know my hearing isn't the best, but the 50 dollar speakers attached to my TV sound better. I really was expecting more from this system and noticed its problems from day one. Am I going to replace the speakers? Don't know yet. To be honest I listen to the exhaust while I am hot rodding around and not much music.

I'm not trying to slam anyone who is happy with it. Gotta have that disclaimer on this forum. :)

Steve

Yeah, I'm not trying to say the system is comparative to a decent setup, I was just trying to help people who are trying to make the best of it if they already have it and don't want to change it. Yes, the fade just moves the sound back and forth but I felt moving a lot of that base to the rear and out of the door speakers went a long way to improving the sound for me. It allowed the treble to linger up front and put the mid/base into the background where it needed to be. The base really distorted everything coming through the door speakers. Are you set to Driver Seat or ALL seat?

Twitchgreen

Established Member
I still have the stocker trunk sub, amp, & head unit. I swapped out all 4 6x8s & the 2 8" door subs with Shelby Kickers. The bass is less boomy & way tighter. The highs are no longer muddled/underwater. My settings follow:
Bass= + 2
Treble= + 4
Fade= + 1
Balance= 0
Orientation= All Seats (This is called passenger in earlier model years)

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I still have the stocker trunk sub, amp, & head unit. I swapped out all 4 6x8s & the 2 8" door subs with Shelby Kickers. The bass is less boomy & way tighter. The highs are no longer muddled/underwater. My settings follow:
Bass= + 2
Treble= + 4
Fade= + 1
Balance= 0

What did that set you back $$$$ ? as I can't remember what I paid when I did this to my shaker 1000..... I will say it was a big improvement

IM3CPO

Established Member
Mounting kits necessary?

Bass= + 2
Treble= + 4
Fade= + 1
Balance= 0

Are the Shelby Kickers direct replacement or do they need a mounting kit/spacers in order to fit? How much of a pain was the installation?

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I've never had the chance to hear the '13, but my Dad's 08 Shelby with the Shaker 1000 rocked compared to my Mach 460, as it should. I like deep tight sounding bass, I really thought the 08 sounded better than some of my friends aftermarket set ups. Like I said though, I'm looking at it from a bass standpoint.

Twitchgreen

Established Member
The Shelby Kickers are completely direct replacement unless you have a '13 like me. For the '13 you need the Ford door spacers (4R3Z18B947BA & 4R3Z18B947AA) for the 6x8s in the upper door.

It was pretty easy. Taking trim panels off was the hardest part.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
In my 09 Vert. I replaced the door and rear speakers with Direct fit Polk 5x7's, and they made a nice improvement. Will they be a direct fit in a 13 or 14 GT 500 Vert??? If yes, I will keep them. Thanx

JvKintheUSA

Established Member
I have the '13 vert and the Shaker Pro:

Orientation - convertible
Fade +2 (to the front)
Treble +2
Bass +1 or +2

Not overwhelmed with the system. I had the standard Shaker in my 2012 GT500 vert and I hardly used the sound system. Same with my '13. I drive with the radio off, unless I have my 12 year old daughter in the car....

phil123

Established Member
I agree the pro is not the best system in the world but I see a lot of you have settings on bass above zero. You may enjoy the thump but suggest you try -2. Part of the muddy sounding problem is the the bass intruding on the mids when you goose it up. Give it a try and play around with it. Not going to make it a great system but might make it sound better to you. I would also suggest leaving treble flat or a little below. If you want to optimize the sound for the driver leave the orientation on all seats but push the balance way to the right until the sound is more or less centered to your ears. The fade should only be 3 or 4 clicks back from all the way to the front. The theory is rear speakers are only supposed to provide fill unless you have someone in the back seat.

Users who are viewing this thread