SF3 93 octane canned tune ?

Qwk GT

Established Member
I just got a SCT SF3 programmer, but after reading through some of the info on it, I noticed it only comes with a 93 octane tune. I live in WA where all we can get is 92. I've been told by a couple of shops that they haven't experienced any problems with the 93 tune, but wanted to get some opinions.

I was thinking of backing the timing by 1 - 2 degrees. Would this be sufficient to make up for the 1 octane point. I was also told that the older xcal 2's had a 91 tune on it. Any way to get that tune on this SF3?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Qwk GT

Established Member
Load the 91 or take a gamble and go 93.

I was told that there is no 91 octane tune on the sf3 by sct. They told me that I could get the 91 tune and load it into the sf3, but I have to have emailed to me by a sct dealer?

Anyone have the tune so I can just load it in? Or any thoughts on backing the timing 1 degree?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
92-93 octane is pretty interchangeable if your tune is not super agressive, and it should not be considering the variability of pump gas any ways.

So you can just run that, or get a custom tune from an SCT dealer.

Black Sex

Established Member
when I did my 2.76 upper I drove the car for about a month before I got it tuned. I used the 93 oct tune and added 4% fuel at WOT. I didnt beat on the car but I did get on it occasionaly. I could see black smoke when would get on it so I knew it was more rich than lean. Arent canned tunes usually on the rich side as it is?

Last edited:

Qwk GT

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I've thought about the octane booster, but I heard most of those don't give you anywhere near what they advertise. Plus, it would just be a PITA to use it everytime I fill up. (right now its a DD)

I would just prefer to load in a 91/92 tune to be safe, and don't really think I need a custom tune as the car is stock. I guess I could just run the 93 tune w/92, but would like to be on the safe side.

Anyone got the 91 tune they could email me? Or I guess I could pull a degree of timing.

Qwk GT

Established Member
ttt last time. Anyone got a 91/92 canned tune they could email me? Or any thought on pulling a degree.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
when I did my 2.76 upper I drove the car for about a month before I got it tuned. I used the 93 oct tune and added 4% fuel at WOT. I didnt beat on the car but I did get on it occasionaly. I could see black smoke when would get on it so I knew it was more rich than lean. Arent canned tunes usually on the rich side as it is?

There is really no guarantee they will be rich. Which is why I always recommend datalogging supercharged vehicles like the 03/04 cobras there they are so many potential variations.

92stanglx

Established Member
I never particularly liked "pre-canned" tunes. I can't say that I have had any bad experiences (or good ones) as I have never used them. I prefer to spend the extra $$$ and have a reputable tuner dial my car in on a dyno.

My .02 cents :)

Users who are viewing this thread