setting timing on a supercharged car

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
the high idle is fixed, startup isn't as seamless as id like but oh well. The main issue is blowby now. I think that my rings are shot because of the bad tune also.

What was the milage on the motor when you did the heads/gaskets? If it was getting a bit tired, then you freshened up the heads and gaskets, you probably now have really good compression pushing past the old rings.

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
it has 2500 miles after the rebuild. Then i had the heads cleaned and decked, studded them, and replaced the stock style with cometics.

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
How much timing is it set at when it idles and runs good?

Also if you're still concerned about blowby you could (and probably should) use the pcv valve but instead of hooking it up to vacuum, run an extension hose from the pcv to a breather somewhere in the engine bay.

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
the car idles best at 10 degrees, but it idles a bit lower than im used to (800ish rmps) and when decelerating it dips really low like it wants to shut down then bounces back. The idle cleans up at about 12 degrees, but i dont feel too comfortable driving for some reason. I also need to adjust the tps. I think the moral of the story is that i need to get the car tuned, or get some tuning software. I've put about 200-250 miles on it and it runs ok, but its still way off. I haven't hit boost, but up to 4k in 4th it runs great. All of my vitals are great (great oil pressure, fuel pressure is at 38# at idle and up to 40-42# under load, and water temps at about 190)

Users who are viewing this thread