Set me Straight! 01' Bullitt or 93' Cobra

Bullitt #3067

Established Member
I own a 2001 True Blue Bullitt with 11K miles. I've completed all suspension, exhaust and appearance mods to my liking. It drives and handles great... a real corner carver (Bilsteins, H&Rs, cc plates, SFCs, control arms, etc). Very fun on the street.

Well, my father-in-law wants to purchase my car REAL BAD. He won't leave me alone about it. So, this could be my opportunity to get a 93' Cobra. I've always loved 93' Cobras and wondered what it would be like owning a Fox Body mustang (I've only owned 2 modular stangs, 2Vs).

Truth be told, I would want to completelely mod it out. On any fox I'd want to improve power, handling, interior, brakes, 5-lug, etc. etc.

EVERYONE I've talked to thinks I'm totally nuts to go to fox from what I have now! They tell me NOT to do it.

HERE'S THE KICKER: I love the looks of foxes! Every car show, every magazine, etc. I'm always drooling over the well done/heavy modded' foxes. Never over 03' cobras, Mach's or any other modular mustangs. They don't excite me like a totally done fox.......... period.

I've never owned a fox and don't know how well they ride. Just have heard how hard they pull (low end torque).

So, what should I do: Bullitt or Fox Cobra????????????????????

Any insight is much appreciated!

.............................. wow, this got way too long. Sorry.

SDlightning

I had a 89 GT and I loved it. All I did was but a holley sytemax performance kit in it, heads, intake, cam, and I ported and polished the heads and I loved it. with just those simple mods the thing just pulled hard it had a lot of low end grunt. I still love that body style and they are so easy and chead to get parts for and work on.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
If your going over board on the mods get a gt and do them to it

There was a gt or cobra pics fling around here with a 4v mod motor in it as well as interior, that damn thing looked GREAT !

There was also a red gt with black interior ,the car looks damn good for 10k I think, it could still be for sale at www.corral.net

unibager

Established Member
I have owned a legitimate (dyno proven) 568 hp supercharged 90 saleen, and now I own a 93 cobra (stock). I happen to love the fox body, and not to offend anyone here or anywhere, fox bodies are not all that great - hell, all mustangs ar'nt that great. However, if you like it, you like it, and if you want to heavily mod a car - dont waste your initial money on a cobra. Buy cheaper or a salvage cobra, and then your money will go further.

scootro

Established Member
:eek:
unibager said:
I happen to love the fox body, and not to offend anyone here or anywhere, fox bodies are not all that great - hell, all mustangs ar'nt that great. However, if you like it, you like it.
:nonono:
:dw: :poke: :lol1: :lol1:

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I love everything about the fox body. But if I was going to really change the car from stock, I would not do it to a 1993 Cobra. I would buy a GT and mod it. If you are going to be replacing a bunch of the parts anyway, why pay a premium for the original Cobra parts and then replace them? You can buy all the stuff to make it look like a 93 Cobra and then do all the work on it you want. Call me a purist, but that is the way I feel about it.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I believe in modifying them. If something you plan to keep it then modify it to your liking. (but I am one those that stock 93 cobras are worthless to)

Baer makes a great front brake kit that retains our stock wheels (so there is no need for a 5-lug swap), throw some good heads and cam in it, and boost it with a turbo. Or you can buy my procharger and I'll turbo mine :-D. I do recommend that you keep any stock parts that you remove in case you want to return it back to stock way down the road.

-BUT-

I am kinda a purist when it comes to interior/ exterior mods. Only cosmetic mods I have are a cervini cowl hood and dual gauge A pillar pod.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I'm with Lee. If you get one, fine. If you mod it, fine. But you better keep those stock parts. Look for a car with higher mileage (70-80k or more) that is in good condition, that way most of the parts you are modding will be needing updating anyway, plus you won't be modding a car with a few thousand miles or so on it...

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
Bottom line to me there both great cars. But money wise if your looking to mod the hell outa either one your gonna be able to do it much cheaper w/the fox. And should be able to get the fox quite a bit quicker. I wouldn't see any harm in finding a real clean GT and if your looking for the "Cobra" look get the wing, rear valance, and grill opening. I've seen quite a few GT's w/just those additions still running the mustang gt sideskirts and it still looked good. Just don't go stickin the snake emblems on the side and callin it a Cobra. :nonono: I gotta agree w/some of the other guys on not just buyin a Cobra if your gonna mod the hell outa it. Prolly gonna spend an extra 3-4K just to get the Cobra over an equally clean GT. :shrug:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Bullitt #3067 said:
Much appreciated for all of the great advice!

Y/W, just dont cut up a good thing, remember there were only 4993 original cobra's out there.

Dont be one of those that CUT one up :nono:

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Depends, will it be a daily driver? Just remember, the 93 Cobra is almost 13 years old. Little stuff starts to go bad and can nickel and dime you to death. Also, I've owned a Fox and don't think they are as good for daily driver duty as the newer 94+ stangs. They aren't as comfortable or well built IMO.

But, nothing is prettier than a pristine Fox body. I would love to have a 93 Cobra (or any other v8 Fox). Not to mention they are so easy to make stupid fast.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
Bullitt #3067 said:
I love the looks of foxes! Every car show, every magazine, etc. I'm always drooling over the well done/heavy modded' foxes. Never over 03' cobras, Mach's or any other modular mustangs. They don't excite me like a totally done fox.......... period.
Me too. Its the only mustang that I'll break my neck looking at going down the road. Get the 93 cobra and enjoy.

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Depends, will it be a daily driver? Just remember, the 93 Cobra is almost 13 years old. Little stuff starts to go bad and can nickel and dime you to death. Also, I've owned a Fox and don't think they are as good for daily driver duty as the newer 94+ stangs. They aren't as comfortable or well built IMO.

But, nothing is prettier than a pristine Fox body. I would love to have a 93 Cobra (or any other v8 Fox). Not to mention they are so easy to make stupid fast.

Thats funny; I feel totally opposite. I've had two foxes (90GT an current 93 Cobra) and a 2000GT. To me the 2000GT just seemed like a chick car, was silver w/5speed an grey leather. Just seemed like everything was tacked on, seats seemed like you sat on them instead of in them like a fox. Just didn't feel sporty. Plus w/me bein 6'4" the dash in the 94+ cars suck arse for me. Never did care for the double hump dashes in 94+ cars. At least for me the foxes just seem more like a guys car; true hotrod. 4.6 definately didn't feel like it had the low end grunt of the 5oh; just overall was not impressed w/that car and within less than a year I had doubled up payments for bout four months and then dumped it. Only two 94-04 stangs I'd have, 95R and/or 03-04 Cobra.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Fiveoh93Snake said:
Thats funny; I feel totally opposite. I've had two foxes (90GT an current 93 Cobra) and a 2000GT. To me the 2000GT just seemed like a chick car, was silver w/5speed an grey leather. Just seemed like everything was tacked on, seats seemed like you sat on them instead of in them like a fox. Just didn't feel sporty. Plus w/me bein 6'4" the dash in the 94+ cars suck arse for me. Never did care for the double hump dashes in 94+ cars. At least for me the foxes just seem more like a guys car; true hotrod. 4.6 definately didn't feel like it had the low end grunt of the 5oh; just overall was not impressed w/that car and within less than a year I had doubled up payments for bout four months and then dumped it. Only two 94-04 stangs I'd have, 95R and/or 03-04 Cobra.

I feel the same as you. I had a 2000 GT(wife's car before the kid) for a while and it just did not feel like a muscle car like my fox body does. I would love to have an 03-04 Cobra though. I have not driven one, but I think it would be fun.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I feel the same as 5oh93 and 93 Snake. I owned a 94 GT and my wife currently has an 01 cobra. Interior is just to small and the seats pretty much suck to me for extended driving. I like my wide puffy seats in the 93. However I do like the IRS in the 01 for driving.

Off topic
Picking up a 47k mile 84 SVO tomorrow. Can't wait to get it. And yes I am already looking at mods for it too. Nothing extravagant, just 3"exhaust, turbo coupe injectors and computer, and eventually a front mount intercooler. Trying to get it where it puts down at least 230 to the wheels :-D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
93_Snake said:
I would love to have an 03-04 Cobra though. .

I used to think I would as well but I have driven a friend's 03 snake a few times both on and off the track and now I am unsure if I would. I actually let him drive my car at the track day my website held last month and I think he also liked my car better. He said it was cool because it was like trying to pilot a missle :D

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
the 03 cobra's are quick, but when you power shift they have a nasty jerk to the right due to the half shafts

The seats in then are cool also

Beetle6986

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I used to think I would as well but I have driven a friend's 03 snake a few times both on and off the track and now I am unsure if I would. I actually let him drive my car at the track day my website held last month and I think he also liked my car better. He said it was cool because it was like trying to pilot a missle :D

I own a 5.0 and a 04 Cobra. The Cobra by far has a much more solid feeling on the road. The Cobra is also definitely better than the 5.0 for long trips and daily driving. The 97 GT I had was the easiest to drive and had the most comfortable ride, but it also had the least amount of "get up and go" of all the mustangs I've ever been in (97 wasn't a good year for power). Its all in what you like, but don't have good expectations for a 13 year old daily driver vs your Bullit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread