Serpentine Belt for Cobra

ihatemyhonda

Established Member
Hey guys yet another part question I need to replace the serpentine belt on my 93 Cobra and well Auto Zone has screwed up the part numbers so many times I chose to check with you all first. What belt would you guys reccomend? Thanks for the info once again, you guys have been great at helping me get my Cobra back to tiptop shape.

Blacksally

Established Member
Nope it is different than the GT. Remember, we have a different pulley set up. Your local O'Reilley will have the part on hand. It is pricey. I believe I paid $45 for mine. My old LX 5.0 belt ran $15 to $20.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
The Cobra belt is different than the standard mustang since the cobra has underdriven crank/alt and overdrive water pump. The motorcraft part # is JK6-894. The part is obsolete and is about $70 at the restoration places. Non-motorcraft part should still be available.

stangbear427

Established Member
I used the stock 5.0 length belt on all my cars with underdrive pullies, and according to the gauge on the tensioner, they were fine...?

SVT1993

Established Member
I've got a NOS motorcraft belt - 1993 Cobra Specific. $75.00 shipped to you.

PM me if interested.

NEOH1

Established Member
Last year I bought a Goodyear Gatorback at the local Murry's. It is a shorter belt than the std 5.0. Murry's thought it was the same. I tried the standard length and it was too long. Returned it and got the specific Cobra length. About $40 new. You can't go wrong with a Gatorback. I love those belts.

SVT Fun

Established Member
neilc88 said:
Last year I bought a Goodyear Gatorback at the local Murry's. It is a shorter belt than the std 5.0. Murry's thought it was the same. I tried the standard length and it was too long. Returned it and got the specific Cobra length. About $40 new. You can't go wrong with a Gatorback. I love those belts.

I completely echo this asservation. When I changed by timing belt and water pump last year for new units I also replaced the accessory drive belt. I, too, used the Goodyear Gatorback belt. I paid $29.00 for the belt. The belt IS, IS, IS a different length than a standard 93 5.0L. Not asserting the belt won't work on the Cobra, just absolutely stating the belt lengths between the two are not identical. The belt was purchased at a local Motorcraft parts dealer as a direct replacement part.

Vib_93

Established Member
Hey I was Lurking and came across this and had to jump in just to get my first post under my "Belt". I just changed my Seperentine belt last weekend and wound up going to Schucks and getting the Goodyear Gatorback Belt#4060887. But it was not quite that easy. I went to a Local Schucks first and got talked into buying the wrong belt. Took it back to another Schucks and they made right and this belt fit perfectly to replace my Motorcraft belt which was Marked F3ZE-8620-A1A/20-4357. Belt is a Perfect fit and Price was $32.99

BTW My Car is a One Owner (Me) 93 Vibrant Red Cobra #3382 All 100% Stock (except for Consumables) with 79K miles With Leather and power drivers seat and Rear Window Defrost.

carguy19

Established Member
the stock belt from 1993 will work but there wont be enough tension on the belt causing it to make noise and make the tensioner rattle

stangbear427

Established Member
IMO, the Gatorback belts are better quality than the Motorcraft ones. Given the price difference, you'd have to be quite a Melvin to buy the Motorcraft one. Well, unless you work a dealer parts dept. or something...

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
IMO, the Gatorback belts are better quality than the Motorcraft ones. Given the price difference, you'd have to be quite a Melvin to buy the Motorcraft one. Well, unless you work a dealer parts dept. or something...

I'm a melvin ...... but I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
tunedin302 said:
I'm a melvin ...... but I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Since the original belt is obsolete through Ford, working at a parts dept. would make no difference if you are speaking of a Ford parts dept, but I to, am a "Melvin" I guess. The Gatorback belt is a very nice belt, but when I open my hood at a car show and the "correct Motorcraft original" or "correct Motorcraft replacement" is in place, the price difference between "correct and incorrect" means very little, especially at an MCA judged show. <<It is then all about point deductions.

R

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
^^ I agree. I really just want the "originality" factor for my car.

stangbear427

Established Member
Once they look past the seats, hood, suspension, gauges, tranny, and everything else that's coming out of my GT and going into my Cobra, I doubt anyone will comment on me using the "wrong" serpentine. :-D

I prefer factory Ford parts, but only as apposed to crap from the local McDonalds Auto Parts franchises. I want the absolute best I can afford in my car, and if it isn't made (or more accurately Re-boxed) by Ford then so be it. But then, You'll never see my Cobra at a car show unless it's out in the parking lot. To each his own :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread