Serious thoughts about Marines/Navy

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Ok so I just turned 23, about to finish a BA in Economics this summer and im thinking about joining the marines. I cant stand the jobs I have/had and really the only thing ive seen myself doing is becoming a police officer...and the more i think about it, possibly a marine to help me along that path.

The main reasons military is appealing to me is: the maturity factor, getting in shape, helping my police/ law enforcement career, and finally getting out on my own.

So my questions/concerns to you guys are :

1what does going in as an officer matter? im guessing boot camp/training is identical. are there any advantages here?

2. 4 years is a huge commitment. i almost feel as if I will miss the last few years of youth I have to the military.

3. you guys may laugh at this but, I hate taking/sharing of things like bathrooms/showers. is it that bad or do you get used to not having any privacy and being around guys all day.

I appreciate any advice guys. thanks and stay safe out there

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Ok so I just turned 23, about to finish a BA in Economics this summer and im thinking about joining the marines. I cant stand the jobs I have/had and really the only thing ive seen myself doing is becoming a police officer...and the more i think about it, possibly a marine to help me along that path.

The main reasons military is appealing to me is: the maturity factor, getting in shape, helping my police/ law enforcement career, and finally getting out on my own.

1what does going in as an officer matter? im guessing boot camp/training is identical. are there any advantages here?

2. 4 years is a huge commitment. i almost feel as if I will miss the last few years of youth I have to the military.

3. you guys may laugh at this but, I hate taking/sharing of things like bathrooms/showers. is it that bad or do you get used to not having any privacy and being around guys all day.

1) Better pay and less crap to deal with.
2) Most guys I know in the military have alot better time than non military.
3) Everyone's different.

99navert

Established Member
1. Pay
2. It is what you make of it.
3. Officers usually get more privacy than enlisted when it comes to living conditions.

05saleent

Established Member
The answers i'm giving apply to the USMC, I was a recuiter a couple years ago, and am in aviation now.
1. There is a big difference between officer and enlisted. Officers make more money, but also get mroe responsibility. You also won't be able to just do 4 years as an officer. I'm pretty sure it's 6 years. They send you to a lot of schools. Basic training is also a lot longer for officers, but not as intense (DI yelling).
2. Like the guy above me said, it is what you make of it. But I know that most guys that spend 4 years in the Military have way better stories to tell than the guys that don't. After basic training the restrictions let way up. You can pretty much live your life the way you want, unless you get deployed. Your experience will vary greatly depending on what job you sign up for.
3. I grew up with 3 brothers...always had to share. You just gotta get used to it though.... Unless you get married or something and live in your own place. Learn how to be patient with the barracks life, that kind of patience could be useful in law enforcement.

By the way what school you at? I have a good friend out at Texas A&M finishing up his degree to become an officer. He lives in College Station I think.

Last edited:

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
The answers i'm giving apply to the USMC, I was a recuiter a couple years ago, and am in aviation now.
1. There is a big difference between officer and enlisted. Officers make more money, but also get mroe responsibility. You also won't be able to just do 4 years as an officer. I'm pretty sure it's 6 years. They send you to a lot of schools. Basic training is also a lot longer for officers, but not as intense (DI yelling).
2. Like the guy above me said, it is what you make of it. But I know that most guys that spend 4 years in the Military have way better stories to tell than the guys that don't. After basic training the restrictions let way up. You can pretty much live your life the way you want, unless you get deployed. Your experience will vary greatly depending on what job you sign up for.
3. I grew up with 3 brothers...always had to share. You just gotta get used to it though.... Unless you get married or something and live in your own place. Learn how to be patient with the barracks life, that kind of patience could be useful in law enforcement.

By the way what school you at? I have a good friend out at Texas A&M finishing up his degree to become an officer. He lives in College Station I think.

Im at Univ of Texas @ dallas

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I hated sharing bathrooms and room but I got used to it.

i had problems at 1st but got over it, long as yoru not meat gazin you'll be fine lol.
only big pet peeve was shitting w/ no doors in boot camp, was uncomfy and i hate when theresliek 6 stalls and they sit right next to you and take a nasty baby shit. cmon man! alll these stalls and you pick this one :nonono:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're seriously considering becoming a LEO, then I think the USMC would help you along that path greatly!

If you have a degree already, then no questions asked become an officer. The only "downside" I could potentially see is that you are held far more responsible for your actions, and given alot more responsibility. But you get treated like an adult and the pay and privileges are alot better.

However I dont believe that the officer side of military police would be quite as hands on as enlisted, I think that overall Marine training will prepare you pretty well for becoming a LEO.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member

1) Enlisted boot camp and Officer Candidate School are very different. As an enlisted Marine, I can only describe boot camp. Once in the fleet however, as an officer, you put up with a lot less bullshit. And the level of responsibility is much different. A Platoon Sergeant is usually a Staff Sergeant (E-6) who has been in for at least 6-8 years. He reports to the Platoon Commander; usually a 2nd Lieutenant (O-1) who can be right out of OCS.

2) I know the feeling. 4 years does feel like a big commitment. I've been in for a little over a year and it has FLOWN by. As an enlisted Marine, depending on your MOS, you spend much of your first enlistment term in training.

3) I'm not a fan of sharing either. You might be uncomfortable with the squad bays and community showers of boot camp and the School of Infantry / Marine Combat Training. But once you get to the fleet you'll either be in a 3-man room with one bathroom or a 2-man room sharing the bathroom with the room next door.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
1) Enlisted boot camp and Officer Candidate School are very different. As an enlisted Marine, I can only describe boot camp. Once in the fleet however, as an officer, you put up with a lot less bullshit. And the level of responsibility is much different. A Platoon Sergeant is usually a Staff Sergeant (E-6) who has been in for at least 6-8 years. He reports to the Platoon Commander; usually a 2nd Lieutenant (O-1) who can be right out of OCS.

2) I know the feeling. 4 years does feel like a big commitment. I've been in for a little over a year and it has FLOWN by. As an enlisted Marine, depending on your MOS, you spend much of your first enlistment term in training.

3) I'm not a fan of sharing either. You might be uncomfortable with the squad bays and community showers of boot camp and the School of Infantry / Marine Combat Training. But once you get to the fleet you'll either be in a 3-man room with one bathroom or a 2-man room sharing the bathroom with the room next door.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

1 and 3 are not completely accurate. OP consider that peoples knowledge is only limited to what they've experienced, and those experience vary GREATLY depending on your MOS and duty station and such.

1-I've seen more corporals(E4's) in platoon Sgt spots than I have SNCO's. As a Lance(E3) I was in charge of an entire shift of Marines. I've also had my fair share of dealing with boot 2nd Lt's that arent in charge of anything, so it could go either way.

3- The only time i've used a community shower was in bootcamp. In MCT they had them but you had enough free time to pretty much have your own shower. In MOS school I only had 1 roommate, and we had 1 bathroom per room. At my first duty station we had 1 roommate and 1 bathroom per room as well. Now at my current station I have my own room and my own bathroom...I have almost complete privacy, its not like I'm get watched by people all the time or anything.

Gringo, if you've only been in barely over a year you still have alot to learn, so dont spread your word like its gospel... :beer:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
1 and 3 are not completely accurate. OP consider that peoples knowledge is only limited to what they've experienced, and those experience vary GREATLY depending on your MOS and duty station and such.

1-I've seen more corporals(E4's) in platoon Sgt spots than I have SNCO's. As a Lance(E3) I was in charge of an entire shift of Marines. I've also had my fair share of dealing with boot 2nd Lt's that arent in charge of anything, so it could go either way.

3- The only time i've used a community shower was in bootcamp. In MCT they had them but you had enough free time to pretty much have your own shower. In MOS school I only had 1 roommate, and we had 1 bathroom per room. At my first duty station we had 1 roommate and 1 bathroom per room as well. Now at my current station I have my own room and my own bathroom...I have almost complete privacy, its not like I'm get watched by people all the time or anything.

Gringo, if you've only been in barely over a year you still have alot to learn, so dont spread your word like its gospel... :beer:

My experience, although not extensive, is from an infantryman's point of view. Although yes, there are many occasions where Marines are put in billets higher than their rank may typically rate, my examples are based in an ideal situation. For instance:

In a CAAT Platoon (Combined Anti-Armour Team), the Vehicle Commander is a Cpl, the Section Leader is a Sgt, the Platoon Sgt is a SSgt and the Platoon Commander is a Lt. However, as you stated, that is not always the case.

As far as the rooming situation, POGs and Grunts live VERY different lives. You may have had your own room and bathroom. But I challenge you to find an infantryman that has the same.

One thing is for sure, the military (and the USMC in particular) holds different experiences for every one.

:beer:

Sappy72

Established Member
1. Like already stated, there will be more responsibility as an officer than just going enlisted. In OCS, there is more leadership type training along with the PT and other Marine boot camp things. It just depends on what direction you're wanting to head in. You want to do police, then enlisted in the PMO or MP is fine.

2. I went in when I was 23 and you don't lose your last of years of youth. Hell, I had more "kid" fun in the Marines than I did in college. ;-) I was in the Aviation side of the Corps. also known as the Air Wing.

3. The sharing part is something you just have to get over. :shrug: It never bothered me except for the Rifle Range portion in boot camp. Ever see Full Metal Jacket? Remember the shitters where Pvt. Pyle shoots himself? There you go...

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
thanks for the info guys, I got 5-6 months to decide what I do...lots of thinking. sounds like if i am going to do it, do it big and go 6 years as officer.

bunk22

Established Member
I see you mentioned Navy in your title. I'm almost at the 17 year mark active duty Naval Officer and aviator. Like anything in life, the Navy or military is what you make of it. Sometimes it will suck and other times it will rock. I came in to be a Navy pilot and became that. Flew off the aircraft carrier, flew students around in Primary flight training and will be an advanced jet instructor this coming August. I've been through good and bad but even if I just stayed the minimum time that was required, I never would have regretted it. The confidence it has given me, be it the flying or leadership is just something I don't think I could have experienced on the outside.

FLY NAVY :coolman:

1024172668_1fc40bd8b6.jpg

FEARED

Established Member
I am enlisted navy, I work on the engine/fuel cells of the aircraft. I am currently doing I level work on F414 engines. I am currently trying to go officer because live is WAY Better as an officer in the NAVY.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
I am enlisted navy, I work on the engine/fuel cells of the aircraft. I am currently doing I level work on F414 engines. I am currently trying to go officer because live is WAY Better as an officer in the NAVY.

enlisted life in the air force would be way better than any life in the navy~!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol yeah air force has it made from what I seen, don't get me started on their "deployments"..

How about you make a thread about our "deployments", and give your experience on how we do things. Your knowledge and experience is so vastly greater than the rest of ours:bored:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
hmmm, I have a little experience in the Navy, (18.5 years in so far) been on 3 ships, USS Essex, USS Momsen and now USS Halsey. JO's (junior officers) try but till they get their ass reamed out by the Chief a few times they are rather ignorant..

you get used to not having much space if your living on board a ship. It's better being the ship's company (Navy) rather than a Marine if your on deployment since they have their own work spaces they can go to rather than stay in the berthing all the time..

if it's a new ship, you don't have to worry about water hours (when water is limited) but older ships, yeah they might not make as much water and your limited on what you can use.

all in all, you can't go bad which ever way you go.. (have you though about the Army, Air Force and Coast Guard as well)?

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
here man, i posted this when you had this thread in road side pub....i know the thread got moved here and you might not have seen this...this is my most sincere attempt at advice on this subject.....

heres the deal man. i have been doing this military stuff for over 15 years and i have one huge piece of advice for you...you ready?....here it goes. you have a college degree, use that degree to get the job that you WANT. do not use your degree to get a job, to get experience, for a job that you want. if you want to be a Police officer make a resume and send it out to every law enforcement agancy in every city and state that you want to work in. DO NOT join the military unless you truly WANT to be in the military. i dont hate the military BUT i wish that i had just followed my dreams and done what i had wanted to do because at the end of the day IM NOT HAPPY. IF YOU WANT TO BE A POLICE OFFICER.....GO BE A POLICE OFFICER, the military is not going to make you a better cop.

Users who are viewing this thread