SERIOUS-Need help adjusting UPR adjuster with stock cable

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Okay, long story short, 30k on King Cobra clutch kit w/tob. I have a Steeda short shifter, UPR quadrant, firewall adjuster, stock cable. My problem is two-fold.
One, when at a dead stop and car is in neutral, it's very hard to get the tranny in gear. NO grinding, I just have to push on the shifter extra hard to get into gear. If I'm rolling to a stop or cruising, it'll shift just fine.
Second, if my clutch pedal is let out(all the way up), then I can disengage it from the engine and shift gears by pushing down an inch or so from the top, the rest of the pedal is useless. I've adjusted my cable loose at the firewall a little bit and my TOB will rattle. I've tightened it some, and it still grabs at the same place, an inch from the top. I never have to push my pedal even halfway down to the floor?
Anyways, the two have to be related. If I adjust my cable tighter, wouldn't that make the pedal grab even higher than where it's grabbing now?

uofipilot

Established Member
I'm interested as well. I have a KC that has about 5k on it and I have the same issue with the clutch engaging about an inch from the top. I have a steeda quadrant, firewall adjuster, and adjustable cable waiting to go on. Hopefully that will solve it, but lets hear what others have to say.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
when adjusting with a fire wall adjuster turning to the left makes the clutch engage sooner and if you turn it to the right it makes it engage later or higher on the pedal at least thats how mine is:shrug:

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Ever since I bought the UPR kit and read some company's instructions that you need to have about 1/4 to 3/8 gap between the stock cable collar and the adjuster when you pull the cable away from the adjuster, I adjusted it that way and have driven it for 25k miles or so. Then last night on Steeda's site, they say you need to have some tension on the cable and not to have it loose at all. But they claim you can actually adjust the firewall adjuster to grab at any point in the travel which it seems like you CAN'T. Can I get some other people to give us their knowledge on this?
BTW, do not install an adjustable cable with the adjuster kit. Use the stock cable.

Last edited:

uofipilot

Established Member
So let me get this straight. I think the OP and I have the same issue.

The clutch releases/engages about two inches from the top.

If I install a steeda double hook quadrant and steeda firewall adjuster (and keep the stock cable instead of the adjustable one that came with the kit), I should be able to adjust it so it releases about mid-travel?

Thanks.

svtcobralover

Established Member
The cables that come in the kits are garbage. Your factory cable is the best thing you can use. I've heard numerous stories about people snapping there aftermarket cables and go straight back to the stock cable. Try that instead of the aftermarket one and see.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Sounds like its some adjustment issues. I have never had an issue with my stock cable or stock adjuster..

Users who are viewing this thread