SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Universal Minimum Income

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
NO POLITICS IN THIS DISCUSSION

With the rapid development in robotics, sensors and rapid growth in tech, it is only a matter of time that most of the manual labor jobs go the way of the dinosaur.

People in fast foods are first. Auto techs in time, because lets be honest, internal combustion engines are on their way out. ICE's will be replaced with electric motors, merging industries and making job placement very competitive. The list goes on, but you get the point.

Do you think that UMI is something we will see in our lifetime? And when it happens, I'm curious if you can find a job, do you keep the full amount or are you penalized by your job? Hard to say, because you want people to work. Penalties would encourage freeloaders to not work unless they get something well paying.

Are you for UMI if there is a legitimate lack of employment due to robotics, or would you be against it, no matter what?

NO POLITICS IN THIS DISCUSSION

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
sounds like youre referring to skilled labor instead of manual labor (ditch diggers). even so, there will always be a need for skilled labor. plumbers, welders, plasterers, painters, electrictians etc... i was just having this discussion with a business owner yesterday. he cant get his grandkids to be interested in his business (to take over one day). kids these days dont want to do any hands on work. so many areas are experiencing shortages (like skilled welders). and these are jobs where you can make more than many folks with office jobs.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
People who see the writing on the wall and get the appropriate degree for the design, maintenance and integration of automation and robotics won't need a handout. People that go to school for women's studies or 17th century French poetry will.

This!!! My little brother's friend has some bullshit liberal arts degree, maybe even graduate/masters. He's a ****ing DJ at a dive bar, has crushing student debt and of course is a rabid liberal :D

tistan

Established Member
Seriously, it is about damn time we let survival of the fittest kill off the unfit. Those who can will adapt, those who can't need to starve until they figure it out or die. Why do we have billions of useless people on this planet?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I cant wait until i get my RN license, wont be no replacing me.
Don't be so sure

vid-baymax.jpg

wellby

Established Member
I have been a HVAC mechanic for almost 25 years there are no kids coming into the business, even the owners children don't want any part of it. I make more then most of white collar friend and don't have to deal with a office or a boss looking over my shoulder. and overtime at time and a half is awesome

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Seriously, it is about damn time we let survival of the fittest kill off the unfit. Those who can will adapt, those who can't need to starve until they figure it out or die. Why do we have billions of useless people on this planet?

Sure, survival of the fittest now that AARP sends me love me join us letters. Just smacking, I'll go out working my ass off supporting my family and others. Living the dream baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rct851

Established Member
problem with this argument is everyone posting here assumes they would end up on the right side of the line in the sand. If there's a technological break through that is advanced enough and fast enough there could be a lot of people that thought they were untouchable that find out otherwise .

In the medical field for example... we don't even need a technological break through to cut that field to 3%. If society just ate real good, exercised, and didn't let the rat race consume them there wouldn't be all these sick people. There's a real topic. Why is everyone so damn sick?

tistan

Established Member
problem with this argument is everyone posting here assumes they would end up on the right side of the line in the sand. If there's a technological break through that is advanced enough and fast enough there could be a lot of people that thought they were untouchable that find out otherwise .

In the medical field for example... we don't even need a technological break through to cut that field to 3%. If society just ate real good, exercised, and didn't let the rat race consume them there wouldn't be all these sick people. There's a real topic. Why is everyone so damn sick?

Because it is not survival of the fittest, and due to modern medicine, weak are able to survive things other normal animals would not. Since they can survive they can then breed and weaken the gene pool.

Users who are viewing this thread