Sell or Part Out? Best Value?

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Thinking about selling my 2000 GT. Original Owner with 40k on the odometer. Full Authentic Saleen Kit, Saleen Wheels, and a Series 4 SC. Everything done on the car from exhaust, brakes, rear, etc. Full repaint 2 years ago. The list goes on and on. Over 15k invested in aftermarket...I know I won't get all my money back but wondering if parting out will bring more $$$

Any suggestions? This is not a for sale ad...haven't decided if I am willing to even part with it yet.

oldmodman

Established Member
The best return will be to re-install all the stock parts you have kept (they are ALL still boxed up in your enormous garage, aren't they?).

Then sell the car in as near to stock condition as possible (and after a fanatic detail job).

Then sell all the mod parts individually.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The best return will be to re-install all the stock parts you have kept (they are ALL still boxed up in your enormous garage, aren't they?).

Then sell the car in as near to stock condition as possible (and after a fanatic detail job).

Then sell all the mod parts individually.

This.

Blackoyote

Established Member
At the end of the day it's still a GT with a Saleen kit and SC...after months or maybe a year you MAY get $9-10k from someone. Definitely put back to stock and sell off all the parts.

LS2GTO

Established Member
At the end of the day it's still a GT with a Saleen kit and SC...after months or maybe a year you MAY get $9-10k from someone. Definitely put back to stock and sell off all the parts.

Exactly. If this was a true Saleen car then I would say 100% keep it as is and sell it. But since it's not, and the parts separately are probably worth more than the car itself (due to their rarity and lack of availability anymore) then take it all off and sell separately.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Parting out will definitely get you closer but you are still taking a loss.

If you sell it all whole, you might get $9k for it. If you pull the mods, you can still probably get $8-9k for it, but you can sell those mods for a couple grand (not sure what a saleen SC kit goes for).

The question is, is that few grand worth your time and effort?

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I got 9500 trade in at a dealer for a 2000 GT with 78k on the clock. Had quite a bit done like blower/suspension/Bolton's etc. TKO 500.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I got 9500 trade in at a dealer for a 2000 GT with 78k on the clock. Had quite a bit done like blower/suspension/Bolton's etc. TKO 500.

Haha, what year was this? NADA 'trade in value' is usually high as hell compared to what they'll actually give, and with only 50k that car books at like $4500 fully optioned. Was the dealer some small lot that dealt in primarily heavily modified cars? Because getting any money back from mods as you know is very rare.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If you have a NICE two year old paint job with the body kit on it, definitely sell it whole. I mean there is no way the body kit off the car could bring enough to make up for the money and labor to put the body back to stock including the additional paint work. Post up some pics, there might be someone out there that will give you 10-11k for it. A "real" Saleen is just a GT anyway, not like they rolled off the line as Saleens.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I say keep it and enjoy the ride. Sounds like you have a very nice GT. Any pics?

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Haha, what year was this? NADA 'trade in value' is usually high as hell compared to what they'll actually give, and with only 50k that car books at like $4500 fully optioned. Was the dealer some small lot that dealt in primarily heavily modified cars? Because getting any money back from mods as you know is very rare.

Spring 2015. Huge car dealer (Google Joe machens auto group).

I thought the same thing about mods and condition of car (car was spotless for a 2000, always garaged and waxed). As almost a joke I mentioned the car and how they prolly wouldn't be interested. Exact opposite was true, they jumped on it. Sold it for a 2k profit a month later (guy who bought it contacted me as he knew me when I had been active in the local car scene).

Nobody was more shocked than I.

Last edited:

tvspower

Established Member
I suggest to try and sell as is. Im sure someone in the US would like to have her.. Thinking all of those young guys would think it is a great first ride... GLl

gt347mustang

Established Member
Spring 2015. Huge car dealer (Google Joe machens auto group).

I thought the same thing about mods and condition of car (car was spotless for a 2000, always garaged and waxed). As almost a joke I mentioned the car and how they prolly wouldn't be interested. Exact opposite was true, they jumped on it. Sold it for a 2k profit a month later (guy who bought it contacted me as he knew me when I had been active in the local car scene).

Nobody was more shocked than I.

They made a lot of money off you purchasing a new car through them. It's just a numbers game, dealerships always win.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
They made a lot of money off you purchasing a new car through them. It's just a numbers game, dealerships always win.

I bought a 2014 SHO fully loaded (everything but pp and sunroof, its a drivers air car) from them with 27,000 miles for 28,500. This was May 2015.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies...unfortunately all the stock parts were sold or given away over the years. For 9 grand, im better off keeping it. Just never drive it anymore and I hate to see it sit around.

Users who are viewing this thread