Sell it Stock or Modded

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
I was wondering if I had to sell my 03 Cobra, :cryying: would I get more or less for it if I converted it back to stock and sold it and all the mods seperately. Or sold it with all the mods installed, with all the original parts included. Or sold it with all the mods installed, and sold the original parts seperately. What do you guys think?

key

Established Member
I'm looking for an '03 now. I'm looking for a close to stock car, one that has maybe a CAI and exhaust system. Personally, I don't really want to buy a pullied car. What are your mods?

BelvedereGTX

Banned
I dont understand fully what your asking. If your car has been modded already as far as the blower, then you might as well keep it that way. It will be worth more to the right person. But it could be worth more to someone looking for a stock one that has never been played with. To sell a car to someone looking for a unmodded one that has never been played with and you put it to stock only to be fooling him, well that is something for your conscience to deal with. If im understanding you correctly i would say leave it the way it is and sell it. Im sure you will get what your asking man.

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
No you completely misunderstood, I'm not out to cheat anyone. I've seen it several times where people have converted their cars back to stock, sold their car with full disclosure of the previous mods, then sold the mods seperately. I've also seen Modded cars sell for almost nothing. If the mods aren't going to bring the price up, then why give them away. I'm just trying too find out from people who sold their car what is the smart way to do it.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Dewalt03Cobra said:
No you completely misunderstood, I'm not out to cheat anyone. I've seen it several times where people have converted their cars back to stock, sold their car with full disclosure of the previous mods, then sold the mods seperately. I've also seen Modded cars sell for almost nothing. If the mods aren't going to bring the price up, then why give them away. I'm just trying too find out from people who sold their car what is the smart way to do it.
sorry man for misunderstanding. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are people who are looking to buy a stock Terminator and others looking for modded Terminators. The former might like to buy a car that has never been raced, has been well cared for, and maybe looking to keep it for future collector car status. The latter might want to mod a Terminator and is looking for something with all or most of the mods they'd be buying anyway. In just about every case it is cheaper to buy a modded Terminator then adding the mods yourself on a stock or near-stock specimen.

While it is true that in many/most cases mods detract from the value of the car, in some cases the value can be enhanced. A lot has to do with the condition of the car, what mods were added, the quality of the mods, and whether or not it has been raced or driven hard frequently. Sometimes the owner's name/reputation can add to the value as well. Many buyers of modded Terminators like to get all or most of the original parts that were upgraded. JMO.

My advice. If it is possible for you to demod the car and make some money reselling them, do it. Certain mods, though, may not justify the time/effort to remove and sell. And if you demod the car, I would disclose it to the buyer. Some say to say nothing unless the question is asked. That, though, can come back to bite you in the butt later. I'd rather be 100% up front. Makes for a nice clean transaction with no worries that the buyer may find something that might make him unhappy/angry or worse. But that's just me.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
mods dont add value, they detract from it.

to get the most money back out of your stuff, unmod the car and sell car and mods seperately.
I think that is true to an extent. You may never see what you put into it, but you will get more money when it comes to selling to the right person.

The Pun

Formerly 10th03cobra
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:

to get the most money back out of your stuff, unmod the car and sell car and mods seperately.

What he said^^^

If I ever sell my fleet they are both getting de-modded...

GodStang

Established Member
M buddy buys Vettes and sells them about 1 every 3-4 months. He mods the mess out of them and then when he sells it he asks a value alittle high because it is modded. Sometimes it is sold like that if no one bites in 2 weeks he strips it down and sells it for what they go for near stock. He has come out WAY ahead by parting out. Just MAKE sure who ever you sell it to knows the whole story behind the car. Do not hide anything. I am not saying you will just giving you heads up. I always demod the car and then sell everything in parts but make sure the guys know what was on it.

Charles236

Established Member
I agree with CobraBob's opinion, it is just a matter of getting the right buyer and right Cobra (or any other car, for that matter) together. I have modded my Mach1 with no thoughts of selling it, if I did sell it, I couldnt put it back to stock without a large investment of time and money. The original solid axle is now in a Terminator, and the factory exhaust didn't survive the Sawzall. The smaller or better hidden mods are to involved to remove now. If I were buying a Terminator, mods wouldn't scare me off, as long as they were done properly and the car was in the shape I expect or that it is represented as being in.

03yellow

Established Member
I did not want a Cobra that had mods. A car with mods has been dogged.
I would never try to trade it in a car with mods; mods kill the value of the car at the dealership.

jcobra

Established Member
Dewalt03Cobra said:
I was wondering if I had to sell my 03 Cobra, :cryying: would I get more or less for it if I converted it back to stock and sold it and all the mods seperately. Or sold it with all the mods installed, with all the original parts included. Or sold it with all the mods installed, and sold the original parts seperately. What do you guys think?

DONT SELL IT MIKE!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
03yellow said:
I did not want a Cobra that had mods. A car with mods has been dogged.
I would never try to trade it in a car with mods; mods kill the value of the car at the dealership.
I have to disagree. Just because a car is modded does not mean it has been dogged or beat on. Mine was a perfect example of that. It was nicely modded, made 504rwhp and was NEVER dogged. Never raced, either. The guy that bought the car raced it a few times, but even he did not dog it. If you're buying a modded car it is a big plus if you know the owner, or know his reputation. Then you most certainly can buy a nicely modded car knowing it has been treated well. Remember, not everyone mods cars to abuse them. Many simply mod them for personal pleasure. Some mod their cars for shows.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Once again I agree with Bob on this. My car is slightly modded, 503 rwhp, has been raced sparingly at the 1/8 mile track and is not dogged on. It's a reliable daily driver that I want to keep in good shape. Professionally tuned and maintained by a reputable shop with all the records from Day 1. If, heaven forbid, I ever sell the car, it will be sold modded because I wasn't interested in keeping any of the stock parts (except maybe the shift handle in case someone was offended with the f*&#ing fast one). If you have doubts about how to sell, keep your original stuff and make your mind up when it comes time.

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I have to disagree. Just because a car is modded does not mean it has been dogged or beat on. Mine was a perfect example of that.

+2 My modded Terminator will be a great find for someone if I ever decide to sell it. I'd be happy to disclose my mods and show off the maintenance, safe A/F, compression, leakdown, etc. In fact, I'd probably go find a cobra buddy to sell it to, just so I know it wouldn't end up trashed. Doesn't matter though - this one is staying in the stable for awhile.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:

Yep. I wouldn't touch a modded car; too many hacks out there.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Dewalt03Cobra said:
I'm not at the point of selling it just yet! I'm just trying to find out what would be the best way too do it should it come too that!

Get the same amount for the car either way. Car should sell faster stock (unless it's to a Mustang guy who appreciates the mods).

So it would seem the best way is to sell it stock and sell the performance parts separately.

Users who are viewing this thread