Sell 7.3 truck for fast car or nah?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
TLDR: Have F350 truck, wifes Bronco is almost here and will serve as family vehicle. Want to sell truck as we have nothing to pull and dont haul alot and buy fast car again. Wife is ok if I want to get rid of truck, will get another truck after Bronco is paid off if we sell. Will look for a camper and toys when kids are old enough to enjoy camping, quads, jet skis etc.

WWJD?

Long form:

Ive got an 03 F350 7.3. Cclb 4x4 and... well..... I miss having a fast car. Sold my GT500 originally to by a Chevelle. I had an Excursion as the family vehicle at the time. My wife has a 2007 Mustang GT Convertible. Excursion started burning oil. Didnt want to deal with it.

I sold the Excursion, passed on the Chevelle and bought the 2003 F350 as mentioned above when my wife told me kid #2 was on the way. Great truck for a family, has everything Ive ever looked for in a truck including the 7.3 Powerstroke! But we have nothing we tow and dont haul as often as we had thought. Big sell was ability to run veggie oil and no diesel emission shit.

Last Saturday, our salesman at Ford told us that our Bronco was showing up this week sometime, and ready for delivery sometime next week. Wife will trade in her Mustang Convertible for the Bronco and will serve as her daily and our family hauler.

Also, I recently bought a project 1998 Camaro SS. Its a roller, but has nothing remaining of the engine accesories or trans. Will need to source everything powertrain to get running. Ive got a long block 4.8 LS that will get a quick and dirty rebuild if the crank can be polished along with mild turbo cam. Eventually will go ebay turbo/4L80 and ethanol.

Im thinking of selling/trading the truck and buying a complete and running 99-02 Camaro Z28/SS or Firebird TA and selling the rolling chassis. I think building would be fun, but after this last month with newborn and dealing with our oldest, I dont know if I have desire to resurrect a car right now. A complete running car seems much more enjoyable, and would serve as my daily. Of course would eventually build for turbo, 4L80 and ethanol.

So, what would Jesus do?

4.698gt

Established Member
Parts availability for a rebuild would be something to consider when rebuilding. I know some of the rebuild kits have delivery dates of a month out at my job. If you can buy a running car with out the covid markup I would go that way.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
When shit hits the fan real soon, you'll need a bugout vehicle. Keep the truck.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Im thinking of selling/trading the truck and buying a complete and running 99-02 Camaro Z28/SS or Firebird TA and selling the rolling chassis. I think building would be fun, but after this last month with newborn and dealing with our oldest, I dont know if I have desire to resurrect a car right now. A complete running car seems much more enjoyable, and would serve as my daily. Of course would eventually build for turbo, 4L80 and ethanol.

So, what would Jesus do?

You already have one kid, so you know the drill.

I'd abandon the project. My Skyline needs a solid week of 5pm-11pm wrenching but in the last year I just haven't got the time with the new baby and job.

That said, I can't imagine not having a truck. Maybe if the economics work out sell the 7.3 and get a GMT800 and running F-body?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You already have one kid, so you know the drill.

I'd abandon the project. My Skyline needs a solid week of 5pm-11pm wrenching but in the last year I just haven't got the time with the new baby and job.

That said, I can't imagine not having a truck. Maybe if the economics work out sell the 7.3 and get a GMT800 and running F-body?
Thats my plan now that Ive had a chance to look into it. 4th Gen 99-02 LS powered F body and a beater 4.8 Silverado 99-04. Even in this market they can still be found reasonably if you look hard.

Dont get me wrong, Im still a fan of Ford and Mustangs and stuff. But Ive seen the light. An LS is infinitely easier to work on than any modular or Coyote. In a race application, a 4.8/5.3 LS stuffed with corn and boost makes stupid power for relatively cheap.

The truck just needs to do basic truck things. Wifes Bronco will haul the tiny humans.

@Corbic +1 On dying while bugging out. Even with the F350, bugging out isn't an option at all. We have no property to get out to if SHTF in the city, we have no way of getting out reliably along a road we know that is safe and wont get clogged/blocked.

People cant just GTFO to the mountains or forrests and with no prior experience become self sufficient from the land. Most will die, even if armed.

The best place for us if SHTF is to defend our home. Has a pool for water, all ouR weapons, ammo and medicines and can easily be fortified.

Remember, you can do EVERYTHING right as far as prepping and training goes and you can still die without warning.

Users who are viewing this thread