Self ported blower DYNO #s! 3.1/6# combo

04gtstang

Established Member
I was very impressed....guess I did something right on my portwork :D

This is @ 22*s timing

101_0735.jpg

and then I globally added 1* timing with my handheld.(23*s timing) Red line is what the power went to and the Blue line was when I dynoed the car just after I got it....so I can see the difference :D

101_0738.jpg

Red line mods= 3.1 upper/6# lower, 12" filter, JLT elbo, SCT BA-2600? MAF (aluminum one), Self ported blower, Accufab SBTB, self ported and port matched accufab plenum, bassani X pipe W/ pypes cats, Bassani catback.

Blue line mods= 6# lower, slightly ported stock plenum, Bassani O/R X pipe (no cats back then), bassani catback, 9" filter with stock elbo/inlet, and stock MAF.

Not too shabby. Car made 478/506 @ RWTD last year with the 3.1/6# combo and a crap port (didnt have time to finish before the dyno), with a crap ported plenum and stock slightly ported TB....and no cats. So the new port and SBTB made a good difference....car feels totally different now. My goal with this car was to hit 500RWHP....and now FINALLY I hit it....so im happy :rockon:

EDIT: Just for reference, #s are 527/543 STD. My above dyno sheets are SAE...which I prefer to use unless im comparing with steggy or anyone else who uses STD #s.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
congrats on the good work man.. thats right on par with posi and all the stg3 and up steggy guys!

have any pics of your ports?

04gtstang

Established Member
Thanks everyone :beer:

Here is the ported plenum.

101_0689.jpg

Here are some pics of my port work....I actually came back later and cleaned it up alot more. Roughly the same texture as you dont want it polished, but cleaned the lines up and made the texture flow better. I also took out alot more on the inside radius and layed the top back some more and smoothed the transition. I didnt take any extra pics of that though....im bad about not taking pictures...I like to just get in there, do the work and then put everything back together.

101_0575.jpg

101_0576.jpg

101_0586.jpg

101_0588.jpg

101_0583.jpg

The bottom of the blower has a plate we built, welded in by a friend of ours (tig) and actually looks a lot like a steggy stg 5. Pressure ratios are very important, so I decided to pretty much mimic their lower design. The intake side is probably simular to the steggy but I went beyond what they normally do (from what I could see in pics) to help increase flow. I never burned through anything and have pulled the blower off the car around 5 times now doing little things to the portwork....and now im finally happy with how it looks and how everything is shaped. :beer:
Posi has defiantly been an inspiration to me...and him posting pics of his work has helped me to see how much meat I have in certain areas....then using steggys pics how they port, I basically slowly combined elements from different port jobs (not just theirs) which allowed me to KNOW where the thin spots are and I was able to shape mine how I wanted it without burning through anywhere.
That was the whole idea....so that we could all learn from each other and combine all of the best ideas to build our knowledge base. :beer:

Satyr

Established Member
Wow...great work.
Makes me wish I would have tried this before paying Stieg.

04gtstang

Established Member
You did one hell of a job!:bowdown: Congratulations on it.

Thanks Posi...means alot bro :beer:

How hard is it putting the blower back together? I am tempted to give this self port a whirl!

Thanks
M

Its actually very straight forward...if you search Posi's threads he has a ton of pics in his threads and you can see how it all works. If you take it apart, you can put it back together....very easy. Just make sure you do PLENTY of research....if you just go in and start cutting, I really dont think it will give you much. I would suggest looking at pics of stock blower inlets and undersides....then comparing that at various angles to mine, posis, and steggys blowers. Then you know how far you can go....just takes alot of time, patience, carbide aluminum cutting bits, and sanding flaps to smooth out the portwork.
And if you have never ported anything....I would start on your plenum or something thats fairly cheap and aluminum and try and clean that up first so you get the feel of it. The carbide bits can go DEEP FAST....so must be careful.
As said before....research the heck out of it before you even try. That way you know exactly what to expect when you start taking everything apart. There are blower removal pic threads around too FYI.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
How hard is it putting the blower back together? I am tempted to give this self port a whirl!

Thanks
M

It's pretty much impossible to put one together wrong. There are locating hollow dowels so unless you smashed one of them it can't go together wrong. The most critical part is putting the front snout on and then the proper 21ft lbs to make sure it's seated but not over tightened. I hate to say it but I'm sure some people just torque them by hand.

Thanks Posi...means alot bro :beer:

Its actually very straight forward...if you search Posi's threads he has a ton of pics in his threads and you can see how it all works. If you take it apart, you can put it back together....very easy. Just make sure you do PLENTY of research....if you just go in and start cutting, I really dont think it will give you much. I would suggest looking at pics of stock blower inlets and undersides....then comparing that at various angles to mine, posis, and steggys blowers. Then you know how far you can go....just takes alot of time, patience, carbide aluminum cutting bits, and sanding flaps to smooth out the portwork.
And if you have never ported anything....I would start on your plenum or something thats fairly cheap and aluminum and try and clean that up first so you get the feel of it. The carbide bits can go DEEP FAST....so must be careful.
As said before....research the heck out of it before you even try. That way you know exactly what to expect when you start taking everything apart. There are blower removal pic threads around too FYI.

That's by far one of the better home ports I've seen personally. No wandering cutter marks and we both know how when the Carbide's get in corners how they have a mind of their own. Pretty impressive and nice summary above on how to approach it.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread